Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Post your best shots!

Old 27-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #21
illusionist

2nd pic is sharper, first pic still got shake. look at the white part of the eye, can see.

2nd picture is darker although shutterspeed is slower, probably cause of metering so just take note.

basically think of shutterspeed as your house curtain. first is closed. when you open, you let light in. how much light you want to let in, is how long you open your curtain. so 1/50 means you open your "curtain" for 1/50 of a second, and 1/200 means you open the shutter for 1/200 of a second and so on.

exposure compensation is like, when you take a black fish against a very bright background (maybe your white wall is reflecting the light from the tank light). then you need to compensate the stops by putting it to the plus section to ensure your fish is properly exposed. how much to compensate, depends on where you meter also.

hope you get what i mean, if you have any doubts do clarify yep? cheers!
Old 28-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
Occellatus
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist
2nd pic is sharper, first pic still got shake. look at the white part of the eye, can see.

2nd picture is darker although shutterspeed is slower, probably cause of metering so just take note.

basically think of shutterspeed as your house curtain. first is closed. when you open, you let light in. how much light you want to let in, is how long you open your curtain. so 1/50 means you open your "curtain" for 1/50 of a second, and 1/200 means you open the shutter for 1/200 of a second and so on.

exposure compensation is like, when you take a black fish against a very bright background (maybe your white wall is reflecting the light from the tank light). then you need to compensate the stops by putting it to the plus section to ensure your fish is properly exposed. how much to compensate, depends on where you meter also.

hope you get what i mean, if you have any doubts do clarify yep? cheers!
phoo....this is deep indeed...

ok...let me recap bit by bit.

shutter speed is the speed at which the shutters open and close. 50 means 1/50 of a second. 200 means 1/200 of a second. So 50 means the shutters open and close slower than 200 rite? 200 should open and close faster.

And when I select the shutter speed, I need to take into consideration the lightings. A brighter background will enable me to use a faster shutter speed, like 200 and a darker background will need me to select a shutter speed of 50 so as to enable more light to get in, yes?
Occellatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #23
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occellatus
ok pals...just experimented with my DC. Pic shows the eye of a common pleco. Wanted to experiment somemore but it knew my intention, so quickly swam away.

I rested my camera on the tank's wall so it was pretty easy. No movement although the stupid 'your-camera-is-shaking' logo is there.

The first pic was taken with 0 exposure and with shutter speed of 200

The 2nd pic was taken with 0 exposure and with shutter speed of 50

I cant see any difference, except maybe the 2nd pic (shutter speed of 50) is abit clearer and sharper...could see the sec pic is rather a little under exposed. i would ahve thought is the other way round..1st pic 1/50 sec 1/200 hehe

Whats the diff in the shutter speed? And whats exposure for?

sec pic is 1/50 yet sharper ! first pic is 1/200 but got handshake . nice try bro at least u noe ur cam is capable right?
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #24
Occellatus
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by domvonn
sec pic is 1/50 yet sharper ! first pic is 1/200 but got handshake . nice try bro at least u noe ur cam is capable right?
yup...without this thread, I never would have known.

Meaning to say if first pic is 1/200 and no handshake, it would have been perfect?

Heres another one of my takes. Just took a pic of this angel using shutter speed of 200.

I used super macro for this, and this is how it turned out.

Last edited by Occellatus; 07-12-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 28-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #25
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:

Meaning to say if first pic is 1/200 and no handshake, it would have been perfect?

Heres another one of my takes. Just took a pic of this angel using shutter speed of 200.

I used super macro for this, and this is how it turned out.
wats the white balance settings ? AWB ?
Old 28-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #26
coryfav
Dragon

Quote:
Yeah, this thread is great! I've just learned a couple more things!

And bro, you're doing great too. Keep it up!
coryfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
Occellatus
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
wats the white balance settings ? AWB ?
errmmm....whats white balance settings? Whats AWB?

Please bare with me brudder....a super newbie on photo taking.
Old 28-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #28
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
errmmm....whats white balance settings? Whats AWB?

Please bare with me brudder....a super newbie on photo taking.

its ok bro ..think shud be set to Auto white balance. AWB. cos i think ur pic of that angel got a greenish tint. shoot more.! more pics please!
Old 28-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #29
Occellatus
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
its ok bro ..think shud be set to Auto white balance. AWB. cos i think ur pic of that angel got a greenish tint. shoot more.! more pics please!
believe it or not, i was infront of my tank, waiting for the rite moment for the angel to come out of hiding, without the fan on, and just the tank light on. I was like kneeling down and my wife glared at me just now.

ya bro...i just checked. I used AWB for that pic of the angel just now. Theres dayligh, cloudy, flourscent, tungsten etc...so i dunno which one to choose.

Btw, thanks.
Old 28-05-2006, 12:21 AM   #30
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
believe it or not, i was infront of my tank, waiting for the rite moment for the angel to come out of hiding, without the fan on, and just the tank light on. I was like kneeling down and my wife glared at me just now.

ya bro...i just checked. I used AWB for that pic of the angel just now. Theres dayligh, cloudy, flourscent, tungsten etc...so i dunno which one to choose.

Btw, thanks.

no problem..for a shot that does not use flash urs is quite good le, but try to take more close ups