Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 18-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Tony lim
Arofanatic

Default Why discus jump out from the tank?

Dear All

Need advise, i also don't know why my discus jump out from the tank unfourtunatly i can't save him on time and i decided to cover up the tank with netting to prevent another incident happen.

Today i change water and notice my another discus was so scare and hide at one side and during the process of changing water i notice another discus dead inside the tank, i quickly remove it and tray to save but i fail to recover him.

i was wondering why the discus all the sudden change, is it due to water condition ? i don't have this issue at all.

Need advise urgently, they on and off keep jumping :-(
Tony lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Eric Chan

Arofanatic

Many reasons. It could be sudden change of ph in the tank, Internal parasite, or any type of stress . Cover the tank partially and lower a bit if your water level.hope it helps .
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Ozone

AFC Member

Try dosing a anti slime medication..
Ozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
oscar77
Dragon

My personal view is the sudden movement. Discus is timid fish. Movement, shadow from movement, sudden on and off of lighting caused them heart attack and darting like crazy. That when they start to jump.

Let them get use to it. Turn on the lighting for longer period, only off during night time. This prevent of shadow from movement. Spend some time in front of the fish tank let them use to human. I find it good to feed as a treat whenever your present at the tank. (Same like training dog).

Other wise, unless you change water at larger quantity, then sudden shift of PH, water temp which caused them to jump due to these sudden change.
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote