Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #21
aromatix
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I think he did clarify his words were not meant to such demeaning and many pple misunderstood him.

But as we all know, grown up liao means hv to take responsibility for our words and action. So, yes it would be good if he humble himself further and be more on the ground (go eat at e hawker sometimes)
oh, he did clarify?
did he apologize?

if yes, then i stand corrected.
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
globalcookie
Dragon

I'm not sure if he apologise but if I am not wrong, he did try to clarify that his message wasn't meant that way (as most pple perceived). But come on, don't he know we just take message at point blank coming from a minister?

When will PAP really learn? I dont know.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #23
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

New hawker centre... rent how much leh... knn... khlk
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
silane
Senior Dragon

I hope he can share with us his best practice and recipe to be a minister. Every trade has their trade secret, if he cannot share his, why he can expect other to share???
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
silane
Senior Dragon

But I have to agree with his move, these days new coffee shop food is getting worse. You can see standard food around especially those coffee shops has lot of FT
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #26
AlvinLeong
Dragon

hawker food all killed by high rental.

need to save cost, buy frozen meat, instead of extra steps, cut few steps thinking end result same, soup used to add dried cuttlefish, now add dunno what, hokkien mee must use good stock, now dunno add simi tasteless stock....worst of the worst, now all PRC selling char kuay diao, hokkien mee, kuay chap, chicken rice.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
therat
Arofanatic

even they sell their own dish "noodle" also taste horrible.

Once I heard a PRC ask the seller.. what kind of noodle is this?
stall owner say "xxx noodle. U order this"
PRC say "Why it does not look like xxxx noodle"

This stall, I try once and my only.
The soup tasteless.
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
therat
Arofanatic

I don't think he was apologizing. At least to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Balakrishnan

In a 2007 parliamentary budget debate, Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Lily Neo's called for an increase in public assistance for low-income families. Balakrishnan, as Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports at the time — an office which had great influence over the government's social programme — responded by asking: "How much do you want? Do you want three meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?"[9] He added that he was by no means claiming that the public assistance offering was a generous package, but that he was designing a system where public assistance should be complemented by other sources of help.[10] In 2011, he said that his response to Neo "would haunt" him "forever" in his political life and that the "statement I made was wrong".
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #29
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post
hawker food all killed by high rental.

need to save cost, buy frozen meat, instead of extra steps, cut few steps thinking end result same, soup used to add dried cuttlefish, now add dunno what, hokkien mee must use good stock, now dunno add simi tasteless stock....worst of the worst, now all PRC selling char kuay diao, hokkien mee, kuay chap, chicken rice.
And now he want local to share recipes with PRC???
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #30
Spakase

Today, I ate lunch at this hawker center near to URA (Maxwell road).

Yew Cha Kway is $0.50 per twin piece, I love to dip in black coffee and slowly nibble at it, it's a bad habit, but then life is short.....we gotta do the things we endear to, it's the memories just like I love to hear a merbok singing first thing in the morning.....I miss the sound of cockerels kokokooooo in the early morn coz there aren't anymore here in sg! When passing the Kampongs in Malaysia on an overnight coach to Penang, was pleasantly surprised to hear cockerels belting their morning kokokoooo without restraint and the echo rings in my ear until this day......

I had probably the best Foo Chow fishball noodle in SG (the other one I know about is at Sultan's Gate). I paid $3.50 for a huge bowl at this hawker center, at Sultan's gate, I have to pay $4.50 for a similar bowl and quality is one notch lower than this one.

What accounts for the difference? Location? Possibly, but why? Is rental more ex at Sultan's Gate vs Maxwell Road? Which is nearer to CBD? I really cannot figure out why.

Yew Cha Kway at 50c is the ultimate, no complains here. Normal price for this oily delight freshly fried and crispy and soft to the bite......is $1? Half price who can complain?

Hawkers have a cost, material, labour, rental, so which is the killer cost that jack up the price? is it rental as we suspect? I think so too, but rental is fixed by who? That is the question.