Default Nice aro

Bro,

Can share tanning schedule ?
2hrs per day etc ?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #42
washywashy
Dragon

Wah! Another old-timer making a comeback with a red!! Superb piece bro, groom it well!
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #43
Flea
Dragon

I am humbled (or rather my pet aro) by the compliments given. Anyway, it's kind of jumpy... it has jumped and injured itself twice. First occasion occurred on the first night when I switched off the light.

The second incident happened this morning when i discovered a scale at the base of the tank.

I have lowered the tank water level to 3/4, what should I do next, i.e. calming this fella?
Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #44
Flea
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bro,

Can share tanning schedule ?
2hrs per day etc ?
I have LED light which I bought recently. I would switch it on daily for a couple of hours, I am not sure whether this regime is considered tanning?
Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #45
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea View Post
I am humbled (or rather my pet aro) by the compliments given. Anyway, it's kind of jumpy... it has jumped and injured itself twice. First occasion occurred on the first night when I switched off the light.

The second incident happened this morning when i discovered a scale at the base of the tank.

I have lowered the tank water level to 3/4, what should I do next, i.e. calming this fella?
bro, your handsome red is still adjusting itself to the new environment.

Light on 24/7 to stabilise it.

May add blackwater to help calming the red.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #46
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:

Nice means nice no need b humbled ur aro is accustomed to being tanned so keep ur lights on even at nite until it's stable. It can be easily spooked by shadows otherwise. What kind of cover are u using?

Quote:
I have LED light which I bought recently. I would switch it on daily for a couple of hours, I am not sure whether this regime is considered tanning?
What LED are u using? If it's the miracle arowana LED it's not enough for tanning.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #47
vic
Dragon

Quote:

The most idea situation is to use those programmable lights that dimmable so ur fish dun get a shock when its switch on.

The other ways is to use a timer to switch on and off ur lights at fixed time. After a while the fish gets used to the lighting routine.

Switching on the lights 24/7 doesn't help. It gets worst if the lights is switch off for whatever reason.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #48
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
The most idea situation is to use those programmable lights that dimmable so ur fish dun get a shock when its switch on.

The other ways is to use a timer to switch on and off ur lights at fixed time. After a while the fish gets used to the lighting routine.

Switching on the lights 24/7 doesn't help. It gets worst if the lights is switch off for whatever reason.
True. But it also depends on the environment the particular aro was raised in. If never exposed to tanning sudden addition of strong lights would stress it. if used to tanning 24/7 turning off the lights or a dark environment might stress it. It's all about slow acclimatising.

U're right though dimming the lights before switching off would b better. Although in this case dimming but keeping it on for the time being would work better since its stressed by the dark.

Personally I keep the room light on for an hour at least after switching off tank lights. Then keep a small night light on after turning off the room light. Manual dimming
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote