Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 22-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #31
cavallino
Administrator

my recommendations to those who are fairly new to rays:

1) watch your pH- the bio loading for rays is high and once the buffering capacity of the water is exceeded the pH can crash from 7 to 5.5 in hours. that kills.

2) watch your nitrates- again, the bioloading is high. plants and denitrators aside, i personally advocate 50% WC twice a week.

3) heaters- i personally save heaters only for weak pups, not for stronger pups and adults. if you must use them, use a heater guard.

4) comming rays with rays- there is no fixed formula for mixing rays of this size and that size, or this species with that species. the golden rule is- You need to observe them. One thing is for sure, stress from harrassment kills a ray much faster than starvation does.

5) comming rays with other fish- general rule of thumb- no plecos, no feifengs, no pig nose turtle. Of course there are exceptionally ray friendly plecos, so remember the golden rule- You need to observe them. Aros that have grown up in comm tanks are fine. A 4- yr aro who has been alone in a tank all its life would be less friendly. Try not to comm rays with fish that can fit in its mouth.

rays aren't the most difficult fish to keep, but they arguably are the most beautiful. enjoy!
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #32
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post
errrrr - u wanan control feeding ah ???

ie underfeed ur treasured pratas

Or u can invest in a v good biological filtration system... but NOTHING beats good ol' w/Change

hahaa, thats why most people change water twice weekly for heavy feeding rays?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #33
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
better listen to the Pro.... slowly weannnnnnnnn
pro karchng lah.. mai suan leh
Old 22-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #34
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
hahaa, thats why most people change water twice weekly for heavy feeding rays?
yappppp - for me minimum 50A% twice a week
u will observe they EAT more n are more active
hate fishes that just 'park' one corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post
rays aren't the most difficult fish to keep, but they arguably are the most beautiful. enjoy!
Quote:
pro karchng lah.. mai suan leh
PRO talking !!!!!! 1001% concurrrrrrrrrrrr

*btw- u hiring? im gonna b jobless soon.... wan banglaMC do w/C n feedg n packing?
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #35
uluaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsupdoc View Post
Thank you for sharing the useful tips.

Besides water change, how do we keep Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia levels low?
What i do i improvise a floating platform punch a few holes put pandan leaves ....work well for me..... learn from some sifus here..... This is to eliminate nitrite development
Old 22-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #36
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:

1) watch your pH- the bio loading for rays is high and once the buffering capacity of the water is exceeded the pH can crash from 7 to 5.5 in hours. that kills.

2) watch your nitrates- again, the bioloading is high. plants and denitrators aside, i personally advocate 50% WC twice a week.

3) heaters- i personally save heaters only for weak pups, not for stronger pups and adults. if you must use them, use a heater guard.

4) comming rays with rays- there is no fixed formula for mixing rays of this size and that size, or this species with that species. the golden rule is- You need to observe them. One thing is for sure, stress from harrassment kills a ray much faster than starvation does.

5) comming rays with other fish- general rule of thumb- no plecos, no feifengs, no pig nose turtle. Of course there are exceptionally ray friendly plecos, so remember the golden rule- You need to observe them. Aros that have grown up in comm tanks are fine. A 4- yr aro who has been alone in a tank all its life would be less friendly. Try not to comm rays with fish that can fit in its mouth.

Thanks for the tips on ray keeping.

Regarding the pointer on bioload, can I check, other than changing water reguarly. Does adding of additional coral chips or better medias like bio homme plus helps? Thanks
Old 22-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #37
uluaking

Quote:

Well said boss .....
Old 22-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #38
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
yappppp - for me minimum 50A% twice a week
u will observe they EAT more n are more active
hate fishes that just 'park' one corner

50% water change will not be too much?
Old 22-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #39
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on ray keeping.

Regarding the pointer on bioload, can I check, other than changing water reguarly. Does adding of additional coral chips or better medias like bio homme plus helps? Thanks
i'm just sharing like boss uluaking is doing.

coral chips can act as bio media and it leaches calcium carbonate which buffers the hardness of the water and consequently your pH. Biohome acts as a bio media too. Both these media increase the efficiency and capacity of the filter, but the end product of the nitrogen cycle, nitrates, aren't easily removed (lots of plants and industrial sized denitrators aside) except for water changes.
Old 22-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #40
uluaking

Quote:
50% water change will not be too much?
Depends on areas..... use Storage water rather than tap water..... if you dont have any storage water.... best 20% or lesser ..... cos chlorine kills .... water changing is best come with a good Anti-chlorine solution