Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 10-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Royston
Dragon

Default Timer & Light Duration Ques!

Can any experts/professional hobbists help me with some questions of Timer & Light Duration questions please. Thank you to all in advance.

Timer
1. Do timers work only if they are "on"(as in plug in and use)?
2. Does different timers have any "life-span"? As both my timers seems to run differently(one is 2 yrs old the other is only 4 mths old).
3. What is rough life-span of a timer?(so I can change when their time is up)
4. When I force turn the timer to turn on(the button function) does the timing(rotation) stop?

Light Duration
5. I've heard from some hobbist that 8~9hrs of light is sufficient. But can we force the palnts to "work more" by on for 11~12hrs & providing "overdose" of CO2 & fertilizer?
6. Do different types of plants require different time duration? If they do please recommend the time for the plants I'm keeping(currently 72W PL on 1.5ft with indirect sunlight).
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
ostrava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Can any experts/professional hobbists help me with some questions of Timer & Light Duration questions please. Thank you to all in advance.

Timer
1. Do timers work only if they are "on"(as in plug in and use)?
For my timer is yes, i need to plug den it will work.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
aia414
Arofanatic

overdose ur tank with extended lighting duration may invite algae growth........
aia414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
the_r0ck

1. Yes, mine is like that too.
2. and 3. It depends on the brand of the timer but also depends on your luck I guess.
4. No, the timing does not stop. It will continue to turn.

5. I personally feel that the maximum photo period is 12 hours. Plants in nature need to rest as well. If you have plants like ludwiga arcuata, you'll notice that sometimes, it will automatically close up to rest at night.

6. I think all plants generally have the same photo periods in nature.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
Royston
Dragon

Thank you all so much as my plants are on overdosage of fert & CO2 with abt 11hrs light & some indirect sunlight. So far no explosion of any algue growth keep in check by my 3 otos & "cherry snails"(maybe I'm just lucky) As afew hobbists tell me it may be too stressful to go on for more than 10hrs. Thanks for answering my doubts.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote