Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #41
dennal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69efan69 View Post
lol yeaa it does become dirty easily. had to use chopstick and stir gravel to siphon out the dirts once a weeek haha. thanks!
mmm u not using ADA or gex type of soil?... try not to stir the gravel to much. It may cause shrimp to dead due to a sudden increase in the N03, ammina all those thing la. shrimp cannot take it to much..
Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 AM   #42
Patrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennal View Post
mmm u not using ADA or gex type of soil?... try not to stir the gravel to much. It may cause shrimp to dead due to a sudden increase in the N03, ammina all those thing la. shrimp cannot take it to much..
wa bro... i think u've given me the ans to my sudden deaths of crs previously... i think when i was doing WC, my syphon disrupted the soil due to the water suction then the next day... disaster!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #43
dennal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
wa bro... i think u've given me the ans to my sudden deaths of crs previously... i think when i was doing WC, my syphon disrupted the soil due to the water suction then the next day... disaster!
hahah try not to or never stir the soil. just let is be... my ada soil use for 2yr lol coming to 3yr i nv touch it or stir it

If u use ada or gex or any type of soil same as them when u stir it "worst".

Last edited by dennal; 07-11-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #44
69efan69

dang alrite i'll avoid stirring it haha. Thanks for the advise!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #45
globalcookie
Dragon

Efan, u are using quartz gravel right? Get a hose with abt 1cm opening/hole. Stick it into e gravel n suck. Use ur thumb at the other end to control water flow and to avoid sucking out e gravel.

Stiring the gravel release whatever toxin there is in e gravel and can disrupt ur water perimeters thus killing the shrimps
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #46
Patrique

Quote:
hahah try not to or never stir the soil. just let is be... my ada soil use for 2yr lol coming to 3yr i nv touch it or stir it

If u use ada or gex or any type of soil same as them when u stir it "worst".
yeah man bro... i think because of my syphoning all that, which causes disruption to the soil, that's why my GEX green pack grains seem to have disintegrated very very fast... i think i've used it for only half a year and the layer below the top seems to have disintegrated...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #47
dennal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique View Post
yeah man bro... i think because of my syphoning all that, which causes disruption to the soil, that's why my GEX green pack grains seem to have disintegrated very very fast... i think i've used it for only half a year and the layer below the top seems to have disintegrated...
u can slow down the soil grains the disintegrated rate by, not planting root plant like nana any plant with roots. and replanting/change location of ur plant in the tank. (just dun touch ur soil once it is setup)

grow moss is the best way when using ada or gex soil
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 AM   #48
Patrique

Quote:
u can slow down the soil grains the disintegrated rate by, not planting root plant like nana any plant with roots. and replanting/change location of ur plant in the tank. (just dun touch ur soil once it is setup)

grow moss is the best way when using ada or gex soil
noted! thanks bro
Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 AM   #49
ghim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69efan69 View Post
lol yeaa it does become dirty easily. had to use chopstick and stir gravel to siphon out the dirts once a weeek haha. thanks!
Faint. I did that before. And quite a number of my cherries died. That's why i am using shrimp-friendly soil now

You should try buying a small pack of shrimp-friendly soil, which cost less than $10. And it is cheaper than the Gex Pure Black

My crs and green shrimps are doing fine in my tank. But my cherries are experiencing Porcelain illness (Microsporidies). Been trying to remove any shrimps that are turning white.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #50
69efan69

lol now ive stopped stirring gravels inside. just siphon out water 10-30% and top up with water. Btw, ever since ive added shrimps into my tank, my frogbits will get botak leaves (not from the centre) or only 10% of the leaf left overnight!

some of my frogbits also have no roots at all. shrimps have been under them grazing, but i am not sure they are really eating the frogbits onot.. hmm anyone experienced this?