Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 05-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Panut

Hi bro,

- From what i know, it is not good to have aeration when plants photosynthesis. Also, if u are using CO2, alot of CO2 will escape and is wasted. The oxygen that your plants give out is more than sufficient for 6 cherries.

- Dont change water everyday. It will stress ur shrimps out. Use only aged water (minimum overnight) for ur shrimps. U can try changing 20% of ur water every 3-4 days.

- Maybe U can tell us the duration of lighting, before we can advise whether u should stop dosing fertilizers. Everything must be in moderation and proportion. *Overdose of ferts Will kill your shrimps*

- Dont overfeed. Over time, u will be able to gauge how much food ur shrimps need. Overfeeding will result in NH3 -> NO2. Also, it will cause little worms to appear (harmless, but unsightly).

- Do u have a fan installed? What is the temperature of ur water? shrimps thrive in cooler water (as well as ur plants). It is also better to have a fan in case of a rise in temperature of ur surroundings(weather.. ambience..).

Hope that helps

Last edited by Panut; 05-11-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panut View Post
Hi bro,

- From what i know, it is not good to have aeration when plants photosynthesis. Also, if u are using CO2, alot of CO2 will escape and is wasted. The oxygen that your plants give out is more than sufficient for 6 cherries.

- Dont change water everyday. It will stress ur shrimps out. Use only aged water (minimum overnight) for ur shrimps. U can try changing 20% of ur water every 3-4 days.

- Maybe U can tell us the duration of lighting, before we can advise whether u should stop dosing fertilizers. Everything must be in moderation and proportion. *Overdose of ferts Will kill your shrimps*

- Dont overfeed. Over time, u will be able to gauge how much food ur shrimps need. Overfeeding will result in NH3 -> NO2. Also, it will cause little worms to appear (harmless, but unsightly).

- Do u have a fan installed? What is the temperature of ur water? shrimps thrive in cooler water (as well as ur plants). It is also better to have a fan in case of a rise in temperature of ur surroundings(weather.. ambience..).

Hope that helps

aahh thnks bro! really helpful.

alrite i'll remove leftovers b4 i sleep and put another pellet on thurs etc haha.

as for aeration,im not sure wad to do,im scared that if i were to switch off the filter for a few hours, i might kill off the good BBs in the filter media.

my lighting is 13w and photoperiod is arnd 8hrs daily. i think im gonna cut down on fertz n excel dosage.

im planing to install fan for it, but if its facing the surface,im afraid it will actually drive my frogbits around like mad which in turn make them sink caused by the waterfall created by the filter.

if i put fan facing the back of my glass tank wall instead will it help decrease in temp? 1-2deg c should be fine if its possible.

Last edited by 69efan69; 05-11-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
NigelN

Alternatively you can add in one or two otocinclus (midget sucker catfish) to clean up whatever balance the shrimp cannot finish. After a while, when you develop algae on your tank walls, you should also let your shrimps eat the algae there. It's their natural food in its natural condition.

Water changes can be made every 2 weeks, about 25% max, for bigger tanks. Since your tank is small, I suggest that every week you change about 20%. You'll notice that due to it's small size, it tends to lose water very fast and the water level will drop quite a lot. It's normal.

I think you can try to stop aplying fertiliser first and see how your plants do. Usually there'll be some form of balance in the tank. If there is a need for fertiliser I believe your plants will 'tell' you by having stunted growth, brown leaves etc. Having too much fertiliser can cause excessive algal growth, which will obscure the glass and prevent you from observing your beautiful shrimp.

For the filter, just leave it on medium flow. As bro Panut mentioned the aeration can get rid of the CO2 that the plants require. However, when you switch off the lights, the CO2 levels will increase so you do need to have a minimum amount of aeration.

All the best with your tank and may you become a grandfather and great-grandfather soon!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM   #14
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelN View Post
Alternatively you can add in one or two otocinclus (midget sucker catfish) to clean up whatever balance the shrimp cannot finish. After a while, when you develop algae on your tank walls, you should also let your shrimps eat the algae there. It's their natural food in its natural condition.

Water changes can be made every 2 weeks, about 25% max, for bigger tanks. Since your tank is small, I suggest that every week you change about 20%. You'll notice that due to it's small size, it tends to lose water very fast and the water level will drop quite a lot. It's normal.

I think you can try to stop aplying fertiliser first and see how your plants do. Usually there'll be some form of balance in the tank. If there is a need for fertiliser I believe your plants will 'tell' you by having stunted growth, brown leaves etc. Having too much fertiliser can cause excessive algal growth, which will obscure the glass and prevent you from observing your beautiful shrimp.

For the filter, just leave it on medium flow. As bro Panut mentioned the aeration can get rid of the CO2 that the plants require. However, when you switch off the lights, the CO2 levels will increase so you do need to have a minimum amount of aeration.

All the best with your tank and may you become a grandfather and great-grandfather soon!
wo0t haha great info. thanks bros.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:41 AM   #15
Rayade76

nice bro , simple n nice keeping home or office ?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
Panut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69efan69 View Post
as for aeration,im not sure wad to do,im scared that if i were to switch off the filter for a few hours, i might kill off the good BBs in the filter media.
NEVER ever switch off your filter. Except for a few minutes to do maintainence.
Read every page: http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...ghlight=hanyao

Quote:
my lighting is 13w and photoperiod is arnd 8hrs daily. i think im gonna cut down on fertz n excel dosage.
Lighting = 13w.
Duration = 8hrs

What about ur frequency of addition of fertz?

Quote:
im planing to install fan for it, but if its facing the surface,im afraid it will actually drive my frogbits around like mad which in turn make them sink caused by the waterfall created by the filter.
Frogbits will not sink.

*If im not wrong( i stand to be corrected ), Frogbits have a special anti-water coating (wax?) on their leaves. Hence, they cannot sink.*
Old 05-11-2008, 02:42 AM   #17
dennal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panut View Post
Hi bro,

bro this is part correct, part wrong.
we do not know how many bubble per sec he dose ?
If u pump to much CO2 to this small tank. the cherry will have hard time to take in oxygen. That y sometime u can see cherry try to surface the water.

how u know those plant give out sufficient oxygen to cherry?
what happen if he off the light no photosynthesis no oxygen. at this time plant give out more CO2 is produce.

The correct way; Is when u see ur cherry keep surface for air than u have to on ur air pump. if they dun surface than is ok not to on air pump.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:49 AM   #18
Panut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennal View Post
bro this is part correct, part wrong.
we do not know how many bubble per sec he dose ?
If u pump to much CO2 to this small tank. the cherry will have hard time to take in oxygen.
Hi bro dennal,
yupp i know, so i asked him whether he is using c02

Quote:
how u know those plant give out sufficient oxygen to cherry?
what happen if he off the light no photosynthesis no oxygen. at this time plant give out more CO2 is produce.
from the amount of plants in the picture and the amount of livestock (6 cherries)

Quote:
The correct way; Is when u see ur cherry keep surface for air than u have to on ur air pump. if they dun surface than is ok not to on air pump.
True. This is a good way of finding out too
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #19
69efan69

before this, for co2 . i only dose excel 0.4ml daily. easily life profito arnd 0.3ml once a week. i think i stop all these for awhile.

filter is on 24/7 but flow is not maximum. =) if got waterfall from HOF, is air pump a must?

so far no shrimp is at the surface for air. but always eat eat eat. half a disc of algae waffle almost gone haha.

i notice that when lights are off, they like to cling onto frogbits roots or underneath its leaves.swims around etc. less shy i would say.. characteristics of nocturnal creatures perhaps? hmmm..

Last edited by 69efan69; 05-11-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #20
Panut

Quote:
before this, for co2 . i only dose excel 0.4ml daily. easily life profito arnd 0.3ml once a week. i think i stop all these for awhile.

filter is on 24/7 but flow is not maximum. =) if got waterfall from HOF, is air pump a must?

so far no shrimp is at the surface for air. but always eat eat eat. half a disc of algae waffle almost gone haha.

i notice that when lights are off, they like to cling onto frogbits roots or underneath its leaves.swims around etc. less shy i would say.. characteristics of nocturnal creatures perhaps? hmmm..
Excel no need to dose daily. Once a week would suffice as your plants aren't fast growers and they are "low-maintainence" plants. U will invite algae to ur tank if ur fertz are overdosed.

Shrimps do not like fast current.

If there is waterfall -> break water surface -> oxygen dissolved -> no need for additional air pump. You only have 6 cherries