Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 30-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
qwerty99
Dragon

Default How to choose potential koi

Hi all, I have been watching video of choosing koi for growing, I watched a video saying that champion koi are usually not used for breeding as the scale might be damaged, they choose koi with most eggs for breeding while most champion are female. I would like to know what exactly are they looking at to determine whether the koi are suitable for growing till big? colouration, shape, size,or anything else, please share with me, thank you
qwerty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
scorpio88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty99 View Post
Hi all, I have been watching video of choosing koi for growing, I watched a video saying that champion koi are usually not used for breeding as the scale might be damaged, they choose koi with most eggs for breeding while most champion are female. I would like to know what exactly are they looking at to determine whether the koi are suitable for growing till big? colouration, shape, size,or anything else, please share with me, thank you
Hi bro,
I think you got the wrong concept. Koi champion normally are females. So breeders tends to use them for breeding to continue the champion line. There are some risk in the breeding process.
To determine how big the koi are for a lot factors.
1. You must know the breeder or seller well.
2. Big head and big mouth.
3. Long body.
4. Thick tail bone.
5. There are also fish head and fish tail. Fish head is the same batch of babies at the bigger size and fish tail is the smaller size.
6. Females will out grown males normally.
Hope my explanations help.

Cheers!
scorpio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Kohaku
Dragon

Just to add in... dun look down on 'fish tail' even if it is small now, it doesn't mean it will not grow very big. It is small in the same batch as it is slower to grab food during feeding time. If under tlc, it will reached it full potential.

For me, I choose kois that I like, then I look for white skin with no fading colours. Next then I look for body shapes and a thick shoulder on a koi.

It takes many buyings and selection to learn how to choose potential koi. Best is to buy what u like, unless u want to buy the koi for competition.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
scorpio88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Just to add in... dun look down on 'fish tail' even if it is small now, it doesn't mean it will not grow very big. It is small in the same batch as it is slower to grab food during feeding time. If under tlc, it will reached it full potential.

For me, I choose kois that I like, then I look for white skin with no fading colours. Next then I look for body shapes and a thick shoulder on a koi.

It takes many buyings and selection to learn how to choose potential koi. Best is to buy what u like, unless u want to buy the koi for competition.
Hi bro,

Normally fish tail they will grow. But until 60+ or 70. It will stop growing.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
sen_jie
Senior Dragon

Love this thread. May i ask how to see if the pattern is good grade or low grade?
sen_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_jie View Post
Love this thread. May i ask how to see if the pattern is good grade or low grade?
This is hard to explain. What u like may not be what other ppl like. Best is see more and buy more.

Personnelly i look for pattern that are evenly spread and no signs of fading. The edges should be smooth and not jaggered. Maybe other koi keeper can share what they look for.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty99 View Post
Actually many champion koi is use for breeding. If u have kept koi with cert u can see that some of them have their oyagoi on them.

Quote:
Pattern is reali somethg depend on individual. Pattern got no low grade or high grade. Inazuma (pattern look like a lightning) i believe all koi keeper oso like!!!
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
scorpio88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Hi bro, no pattern does not based on good grade or low grade. Is individual preference. But the quality of the hi, kiwa, sumi etc will play apart in quality.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio88 View Post
Hi bro,

Normally fish tail they will grow. But until 60+ or 70. It will stop growing.
Hmm.... Interesting.... I also dunno this. I always thought they can reached bigger as i had 1 that grow to 70+ before i gave the farm recently due to time constrain to keep it. My perception is the body shape determines the size the koi will grow.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
scorpio88
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
Hmm.... Interesting.... I also dunno this. I always thought they can reached bigger as i had 1 that grow to 70+ before i gave the farm recently due to time constrain to keep it. My perception is the body shape determines the size the koi will grow.
Hi bro,
Yes, body shape plays a part too. No, in the whole cull, the good ones are only 10% to 15% or maybe less. And not all the babies can grow into jumbo size.