Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 14-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
EHHK
Arofanatic

Default Microchiller

Hi all,
Does anyone has any better info, seen or use this product before?
It's mainly for Nano-Reef Tanks or Small Aquariums.
Saw this while browsing articles for chillers.
http://www.fishnfriends.com/FishSpec...es_Chiller.htm

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microchiller.jpg (5.8 KB, 1060 views)
EHHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
silane
Senior Dragon

This is my DIY integrated chiller into a 1 feet tank, able to achieve down to 22C and temperature can be regulated at higher then 22C, I am running it at 24/25C for good.

Checking the performance, it can achieve 22C even with an internal filter to circulate the water and to introduce heat as in normal operation

Showing the cold fin with maximum exposure to the water.

It is much cheaper to DIY then to buy such a microchiller.
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
EHHK
Arofanatic

That's wonderful....
can teach me to DIY for my 2ft tank in my bedroom?

Anyway, it's stated in this online store as S$289.00

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane
This is my DIY integrated chiller into a 1 feet tank, able to achieve down to 22C and temperature can be regulated at higher then 22C, I am running it at 24/25C for good.

Checking the performance, it can achieve 22C even with an internal filter to circulate the water and to introduce heat as in normal operation

Showing the cold fin with maximum exposure to the water.

It is much cheaper to DIY then to buy such a microchiller.
EHHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
humvee

Bro. care to share more info on where to buy ur unit from etc?
Old 14-12-2005, 02:09 PM   #5
the_r0ck

Wah, bro Silane, can describe what you did to achieve this?
Old 14-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #6
silane
Senior Dragon

EHHK,
Not a problem to show u how to DIY, I had an article making use of the same concept to cool down a tank. This time, I use direct cooling to achieve better result, instead of passing water to cool in a reservior in the old method. However, to DIY a TEM (Themoeletric Module)/Peltier based chiller for 2 feet tank is rather ambition, due to the large amount of heat to be disspated. I know that a bro is using a extra huge TEM to make a chiller good for 2 feet, will get update from him. With our climate, using TEC as an heat exchanger is more realistic to cool down a 1 feet or 1.2 feet, any large size tank will have to resolve the large amount of heat produced.

humvee,
The heart of the integrated chiller is a TEM which is used as an heat exchanger. I bought my TEm from USA using mail order, I heard that Sim Lim Tower is selling too. Other than this part, it is heat sink and cold fin, which can get from Sim Lim Tower too. An old PC PSU can be used to drive the TEM and fans on heatsink.

the_r0ck,
I guess from the above replies, you have already known the trick is in TEM, it has one side hot and one side cold. The cold side draw heat from tank to cool the water.

Note that by using TEM, lower temperatuer can be achieved compare to cooling fans, and there is no evaporation of water.
Old 14-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #7
Bezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane
EHHK,
An old PC PSU can be used to drive the TEM and fans on heatsink.
I was wondering, since PC PSU comes in 200watts or more, so if the peltier is running 24hrs, then won't it cost $26 or more per month just to run the cooler?

Thx

Last edited by Bezz; 14-12-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezz
I was wondering, since PC PSU comes in 200watts or more, so if the peltier is running 24hrs, then won't it cost $26 or more per month just to run the cooler?

Thx
PSU specify the total wattage of all the voltage trails such as 3.3, 5, 12, -12, -5V, the number 200Watt means it can OFFER maxmium 200Watt for all the voltage trails and not neccesary for you to use all the 200W.

Since you do not use the rest of the voltage trails and only 12V. You are not drawing maximum current and thus you are not operating the PSU at its maximum rate wattage.

From my test, using a timing to operate it at 33% of the time, under operation, it draw 8A and the 12V trail drop to 10V. So it is 80W, and since only 33% of the time is operating the effective wattage is 80/3, about 30W.
Old 14-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #9
jojoe cute

If keeping Crystal Red shrimp with this expences a month, it worth because Crs need cooling temp..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezz

Thx
Old 15-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #10
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoe cute
If keeping Crystal Red shrimp with this expences a month, it worth because Crs need cooling temp..

Not only CRS needs cold temperature, some exotics plants, killies and moss do better or can only live in cool water.

It is really up to oneself to see if the spending on electricity bill is justifiable for the hobby. Not everyone will to spent an overhead on high electrical bill, a months of tens of dollars on electrical bill maybe too much for $0.35 bee shrimps.