Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 07-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #41
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
Where is this Y618 and petmart?
Y618 is Yishun Blk 618.

Petmart is at Serangoon North Ave 2.
Old 29-04-2005, 03:04 AM   #42
MPeX

I accidentally dropped the ph pen into my tank today, short circuited immediately. The display is still ok, but showing "running" numbers instead... sigh... had to get a new one.

Btw, juz some info for bros, if you want a shock-resistant and water-resistant ph pen, go for the brand Eco. It cost $70 from C328. The Hanna one only cost less than 40, but 1 accident will cost its life.
Old 29-04-2005, 03:24 AM   #43
armageddon
Senior Dragon

alright guys. maybe regarding pH pen i say something as well.

3 years back bought my eco pH oen for $100. 2 years expire liao. thats the effective lifespan of pH pen. regardless of brand. after 2 years not say cannot use. but may ned more time to measure and also more frequent calibration needed.

regarding calibration. warning DO NOT use distilled water or those from supermarket. was told from oh chin huat hydrophonics farm aunty on it. when do calibration do not use only pH 7 solution. pH 7.00 solution is not distilled water. its infact a type of chemical cannot drink de or else dunno wat happen. another pH to get it pH 4 water. after using on pH 7 use it on pH 4. so the jump in 3 pH u will know how accurate ur pH pen will be. both are chemicals. last time very very arh with that aunty so every time got problem nia bring down to their farm and ask them calibrate for me FOC ^.^"

for pH pen wise, if u are the very careless type DO NOT go for pH pens like hanna. not water proofed. go for brands like eco. 100% water proff. tried playing with it. throw whole pen into pond when was in sch. many time. measure liao friend run ard bang onto us pen drop into nutrient solution resirviour super many times NP. now they still using eco pH pen. imagine every time u drop hanna pH pen once nia u pocket burn $36 haha. unless u those super super carefull type than ok.

thats my little knowledge on pH pen help me upzz m rap if u think i write not bad. hehe
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 03:40 AM   #44
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon
thats my little knowledge on pH pen help me upzz m rap if u think i write not bad. hehe
I think i'll stick with Hanna, for half the cost... once bitten twice shy, I will be careful not to drop it into the water again.

I fully agree with you, distilled water CANNOT be used for testing purposes, much less calibration. Reason being the pH pen needs the electrical ions (something like that) to work, and distilled water lack these ions. However from my other thread somewhere on this forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...9#post3017169), I've effectively proven that mineral water DOES work, and I personally use Polar brand (labelled pH 7.4) to do my occasional check/calibration. The accuracy of this brand is +/- 0.1, and it only cost 60 cents. I'll forgo the 0.1 accuracy and save me a couple of bucks... haha..

Btw, i upped you yesterday already, cannot up anymore la...

Last edited by MPeX; 29-04-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 29-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #45
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeX
I think i'll stick with Hanna, for half the cost... once bitten twice shy, I will be careful not to drop it into the water again.

I fully agree with you, distilled water CANNOT be used for testing purposes, much less calibration. Reason being the pH pen needs the electrical ions (something like that) to work, and distilled water lack these ions. However from my other thread somewhere on this forum (http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...9#post3017169), I've effectively proven that mineral water DOES work, and I personally use Polar brand (labelled pH 7.4) to do my occasional check/calibration. The accuracy of this brand is +/- 0.1, and it only cost 60 cents. I'll forgo the 0.1 accuracy and save me a couple of bucks... haha..

Btw, i upped you yesterday already, cannot up anymore la...
YA. hehe. forgot to thxs you. but anyway, forgot to mentioned but resliased bros had know. distilled water isn't at pH 7 its in fact jumping about. some distilled water 7.1 like wat u said polar is 7.4. so buai zun. if really want super accurate get pH 7 and pH 4 to get the most zun calibration.
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 05:59 AM   #46
MPeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon
YA. hehe. forgot to thxs you. but anyway, forgot to mentioned but resliased bros had know. distilled water isn't at pH 7 its in fact jumping about. some distilled water 7.1 like wat u said polar is 7.4. so buai zun. if really want super accurate get pH 7 and pH 4 to get the most zun calibration.
But there's difference between mineral water and distilled water... distilled water is totally pure and like u said, might not be pH 7. Mineral water isn't pure, and the pH on the label won't usually be too far off from the actual value..