Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #11
Calsberg
Dragon

It is my personal belief that the larger the number in a comm, the higher the chances of success. What is deemed a 'larger' number to me ? About 6 and above.

Why ? Aros, like many other fishes, are territorial in nature and there would be those that are more alpha than others.

Alphas try to dominate space and make others submit to them. This can be via biting or other intimidation. In a 6 comm tank, an alpha would need to submit 5 other aros - in short, any whacking or bullying is spread across those 5 (less damage per aro). That takes more effort than an alpha in a 3 comm tank which just needs to beat up 2 others (more damage per aro).

Having said the above, there are cases of harmonious smaller comms of 3 as well. It is the luck of the draw. I once had a comm of 7 and after a few years of comm aro keeping excitement, the disharmony in my comm just turned me off completely. I sold off 6 and ironically kept the alpha (who had the best physique finnage etc).

Wish you all the best - you need to be accustomed to a not perfect aro specimen. Torn & broken fins, cloudy eyes and dropped scales are enough to weaken many hobbyists !

cheerz
Calsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Goodman123
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzkazz View Post
Maybe you can lower down the water level during 60%-70% water change then remove the dividers and like bro ethan mentioned put a strong wave maker..wish you goodluck
Cannot lower the water level as mine is sump tank...
Goodman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #13
Goodman123
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanleow View Post
Theres no full proof method on this. Everything play a factor in comm.. do they show any aggression during when in their own divider (if divider is transparent)?

Do a 50 to 60% change of treated water.. and introduce at the same time.

Then prepare for wwe royal rumble. Next just watch. Unless something really bad happen.. if not just have to harden your own heart

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Bro introduce them at the same time, meaning this 3 aro I had to bag them all out of my tank. And then change 60% of the water, and then 30min later put all the 3 bag inside and intro them to the tank right? If currently,I got tankmate such as FH, parrot and TFB, do I also need to bag them out and re introduced them inside as well? Please advise. Appreciate
Goodman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Albusdumbledore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodman123 View Post
Bro introduce them at the same time, meaning this 3 aro I had to bag them all out of my tank. And then change 60% of the water, and then 30min later put all the 3 bag inside and intro them to the tank right? If currently,I got tankmate such as FH, parrot and TFB, do I also need to bag them out and re introduced them inside as well? Please advise. Appreciate
When I started a comm of 3 in my 422 tank they whack like mad, after which I place them into a small container for 4 days with water change twice a day, totally no fight, now I'm having 5 xb in a 5 2.5 tank with 7 parrot fish, occasionally chasing, but no serious fight...

I believe in reducing their area so that they are unable to mark their territory, try to keep them in a small cramp area for a few days and slowly increase their space..

Hope this helps.
Albusdumbledore is offline   Reply With Quote