Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 27-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
Maxogate
Arofanatic

Default PH question for transfering of fishes.

I got 2 PH pen buy always gives me wrong reading or it could be i dont know how to use it.

Need help from you guys.

If the fish is in a planted tank with planted soil and logs. The PH to my understanding is low... maybe 6 to 6.5.

My question is when i use the water from the planted tank and fill it in a small container for small fishes like betta and net out the betta into the small container.

The small container is empty with only the tank water and the betta itself.

What is the ph level and will it change to another ph level ?
Maxogate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Dave57

the pH should not be far off if pH is taken within a short time.

after some time, pH should reduce due to decomposition of waste products of the fish.
Old 27-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Maxogate
Arofanatic

Thks bro. And how to make the ph level same as to the other tank that i want to try it to.

Example a tank with plants and coral chip rock with planted soil.

Average rocks and plant wood percentage avout the same and ph level should be about 7 to 7.5

And what will be the ph level after 20 to 30 min in the small container. Is there a neutural ph level ? As ths small plastic container only have water and the fish without any wood or rock.
Old 27-11-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxogate View Post
Thks bro. And how to make the ph level same as to the other tank that i want to try it to.

Example a tank with plants and coral chip rock with planted soil.

Average rocks and plant wood percentage avout the same and ph level should be about 7 to 7.5

And what will be the ph level after 20 to 30 min in the small container. Is there a neutural ph level ? As ths small plastic container only have water and the fish without any wood or rock.
Erm correct me if I'm wrong but after 20 to 30 min, the pH will still remain the same. It won't go to neutral pH on its own. It's not like temperature.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
LauLanChu
Dragon

That will depend on the hardness of the tank water source, (e.g. kH). If the water from tank is hard the pH will more or less stay constant. If the water source is soft, the pH will drop slightly as the fish respires producing CO2 cummulative if there is no bubbling for gaseous exchange (e.g. escape of CO2).
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Maxogate
Arofanatic

Oh... thk u bros..

So if i got another tank with more rock with higher ph and the fish i transfer from planted tank have lower ph.

What should i do ?

Usually i use small glass and place the fishes in it. Fill half of it and float it on the other tank that i want to transfer the fishes there. This will slowly change the temperature to the same to the higher PH tank.

So temperature i have control but the PH is different. So how do I make the PH level the same ?

My understanding is ph differences can kill the fish...

Please advise. Thank you very much.
Old 28-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #7
LauLanChu
Dragon

What I do is float the fish in plastic bag similar to what you do. After 10 mins can gradually mix the water, in 1 min interval mix 10% of bag water with tank water, till is fully filled. Invert the bag and let the fish swim out by itself. This is what taught to me from some commercial who needs to acclimatize very sensitive fish. Using this way sure got no casaulty when transferring fish.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Maxogate
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
What I do is float the fish in plastic bag similar to what you do. After 10 mins can gradually mix the water, in 1 min interval mix 10% of bag water with tank water, till is fully filled. Invert the bag and let the fish swim out by itself. This is what taught to me from some commercial who needs to acclimatize very sensitive fish. Using this way sure got no casaulty when transferring fish.
Thank you. I know what you mean liao. Hmmm... should be ok hor. 1 min 10%.. thanks.
Old 29-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
shermie
Senior Dragon

if u take water from current tank n transfer it to small container, no issue because although the pH wont remain constant it'll change at a rate slow enough the betta can acclimatize to. slow ph changes dont kill fish (barring extreme ends of each range), drastic changes do.

for acclimatization of sensitive fish, best is to drip/trickle water into bag/container from the the tank it'll go into. how fast to drip/trickle depends on how big the differences in water parameters are. when water parameters in bag/container are same as tank, net/scoop fish n transfer it to tank. pouring bag contents will just increase risk of disease transmission.

nyways that's just for sensitive fish.. normally if parameters are not that different i cant be bothered
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote