Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 16-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
terence84
Dragon

Nomis ur is surely far way better den the another piece. That piece look like hybrid lo. No offend ya
terence84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
sen_jie
Senior Dragon

IMHO BD term is just a term to describe as what marketer try to do market differentiation.

through mkt differentiation that is when they are able to price their product at a premium.

Next question is who is the pioneer to term it as BD. and is the same person who provide a check list on how a BD should be like?

Just my 5 cent worth of questions lurking in my brain
sen_jie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #13
chaos
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Background on the species Potamotrygon Leopoldi

P. Leopoldi and P13 both refer to the same species Potamotrygon Leopoldi. P13 freshwater stingrays are naturally found in various locations in the Amazon river basin of Brazil. Within the natural locations there are specific varieties of P13 that exhibit some different physical characteristics. Most notabley the P13 that are found in Sao Felix have some very striking patterns. To differentiate the P13 that are found in Sao Felix, aquarists have given them some new names described below.

The Black Diamond variety

The most common name is Black Diamond and subcatagories of the Black Diamond variety are Thousand Island, Eclipse, and Big Spot. For the Black Diamond variety of stingray here are the most desireable traits in our opinion (there is not official description of Black Diamond):

1. A high amount of organized (arranged in a consistent pattern) bright white spots on the disc/back of the ray.

2. A high amount of spotting around the edge of the disc (called edge spotting).

3. Dark black/dary gray belly spotting on the bottom side of the ray's disc.

4. The ray should have a dark-black base color.

In addition to the above traits, the subcatagories of Thousand Island, Eclipse, and Big Spot are found below:

1. Thousand Island (many times called TI): Some larger spots filled in by many (thousands!) of smaller bright white spots.

2. Eclipse: This pattern has spots that evolve into rings of bright white filled with black. Many times the rings break and you will also see arcs, squiggley lines, or other unique shapes.

3. Big Spot: This pattern exhibits large bright white spots that don't have any Eclipse or Thousand Island markings
Found this on leopoldi.com
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
azon
Senior Dragon

Big spots all will turn into donuts.. number 3 is nonsense.. misleading all hobbyists.
azon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
zon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
Big spots all will turn into donuts.. number 3 is nonsense.. misleading all hobbyists.
Totally agreed. I have couple of big spots and they turn to donuts when the size hits 18" or more...below is 1 of them. This pc the spots not only big but is super big which can't really tell from the photo

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...=525413&page=4
zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #16
chaos
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by azon View Post
I also blur haha
chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
chern
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zon View Post
Totally agreed. I have couple of big spots and they turn to donuts when the size hits 18" or more...below is 1 of them. This pc the spots not only big but is super big which can't really tell from the photo

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...=525413&page=4
Hi!

If big spots turn to donuts, how do you guys pick if you want a ray with circle spots when big? Or Isit tyco tyco? Haha sorry for noob qns and thanks for advise!
chern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #18
juvenn
Dragon

bro , now any black ray they label as BD x SP ...when the buyers heard got BD sia..they songzzz ..

Last edited by juvenn; 16-09-2014 at 04:00 PM.
juvenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #19
CBTG
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvenn View Post
bro , now any black ray they label as BD x SP ...when the buyers heard got BD sia..they songzzz ..
U are right. Some pups tails longer than motoro still claim bd gene. But buyers song liao then Kao Peh. But I believe bd term is important. Just like TS brand the term P13. Why u brand P13. Why not black ray ? I thought only p13 classify as black ray too.
CBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Rigil
Dragon

I'll definitely go with the bigger white spots! The first pc on top!
Rigil is offline   Reply With Quote