Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 19-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
tct

Default Zeolite to reduce ammonia

Hi Bros/Sis

Anyone have experiences in using zeolite to reduce ammonia to improve water quality for TVR keeping? Is it efficient? What are the pros & cons of it?

Appreciate your kind advice plse.
Old 19-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
YKT
Dragon

I used it before to remove ammonia temporary. Quite effective and you can regenerate and reuse. But, this is only a temporary measure, for long term, you still need to built bacteria with your media to break down ammonia. Side effects, not that I know of.
YKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
tct

Thanks for the advice. How long can zeolite last? I understand that it should be soaked with saltwater to release the ammonia that it has absorbed and wash it with water to reuse it again to be effective. Is my understanding correct? If yes, what is the saltwater content for this recharge?
Old 19-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tct View Post
Hi Bros/Sis

Anyone have experiences in using zeolite to reduce ammonia to improve water quality for TVR keeping? Is it efficient? What are the pros & cons of it?

Appreciate your kind advice plse.
Bro,
I have a better solution! Change water, 100%.

Last edited by TVR; 19-10-2010 at 03:32 PM.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
kpchua
Arofanatic

Zeolite can be used to remove ammonia, but salt should not be added to the tank (during WC etc) as it will then released all the ammonia, so use with care.
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
hengyi86

best to remove nitrate instead. ammonia is needed for the BBs to break down into nitrite than final product nitrate.

to remove nitrate use plants or denitrater. of cos most of us just WC.
ps if i side track haha. i believe in stocking more media to remove ammonia. more worried about the nitrate
Old 19-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
kpchua
Arofanatic

I believed in biological filtration to get rid of ammonia and nitrate. Normally ammonia spike can be reduced through large WC like 40%. However I had previously suffered a bio crash and ammonia spike remained high despite WC for 2 weeks, so no choice but to deployed zeolite to get it down as well as for the bio filter to cycle back. Zeolite is then removed.
Old 19-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #8
hengyi86

nitrate using biological filter? can i know what are u using? for me i have lots of floating water plants. but i still do WC.

u still having ammonia spike with your fishs in your tank? i would guess either your media isnt enough to handle the bio load or when you WC some of the chlorine/chlorimine got into your system and killed the BBs?
Old 19-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
tct

All Bro/Sis

Thank u all for yur prompt reply & feedback. I dun use bio filter in the keeping. Unfortunately, I cant afford alternate day wc to instill water quality due to other commitments. Currently, my routine is 2 wc per week. However, I realised that ammonia can be high after 1-2 days for 5-6 times feedings daily.
Old 19-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
kpchua
Arofanatic

I had Biohome, Biohome Plus, Eheim Substrate Pro and CR in my FX-5 cannister filter. Dosed BB and AmGuard as well during ammonia spike also did not help much.
I did not know what cause the bio crash as WC are always done the same way. However I think zeolite should only be used as the last way to remove ammonia fast and to bring the filtration back to operational.
I belong to the old school of adding salt during WC so would caution all those who use this since sometimes it become a habit and we forgot what we added into the filter.