Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #521
ranmaru1987
Dragon

today i took out the divider and add 3 more pvc pipes.. my tank looks so much bigger without the divider and so much more beautiful.. picked up the smaller cray to take a closer look at it.. it doesnt have any orange patch on its claw.. so should be female right?? took a look at its bottom.. no 2 circle on the 3rd pair of claws.. or any pair of claws.. so should be male?? but wait!!! no the 2 pointed things "extra swimmerets" so should be female?? so is it a male or female.. any bros can clarify??? why no sex organ de my cray..
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #522
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chequil View Post
wow your crayfish is that fierce? Mine finishes what it kills/catches. the tetras in the night and there won't be any bodies the next morning
Btw bro.. How often u feed ur crays and how many sticks each time? I presume u feed hikari crab cuisine right?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #523
chequil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmaru1987 View Post
today i took out the divider and add 3 more pvc pipes.. my tank looks so much bigger without the divider and so much more beautiful.. picked up the smaller cray to take a closer look at it.. it doesnt have any orange patch on its claw.. so should be female right?? took a look at its bottom.. no 2 circle on the 3rd pair of claws.. or any pair of claws.. so should be male?? but wait!!! no the 2 pointed things "extra swimmerets" so should be female?? so is it a male or female.. any bros can clarify??? why no sex organ de my cray..
if there are gonopores on the 3rd pair of legs, then it is a female. if there are gonopores on the 5th pair of legs, then it is a male. It will be easier if you provided photos.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #524
chequil

Quote:
Btw bro.. How often u feed ur crays and how many sticks each time? I presume u feed hikari crab cuisine right?
i feed them once a day, 5 sticks each time for each crayfish. my destructors are about 9cm
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #525
ranmaru1987
Dragon

maybe i'll take a closer look a few more days later.. not all males will have the extra swimmerets?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #526
chequil

Quote:
maybe i'll take a closer look a few more days later.. not all males will have the extra swimmerets?
males do NOT have extra swimmerets as they do not have to hold the eggs. you can see that females have longer and more swimmerets than the males.
How much and how often do you feed your crayfishes?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #527
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
males do NOT have extra swimmerets as they do not have to hold the eggs. you can see that females have longer and more swimmerets than the males.
How much and how often do you feed your crayfishes?
i thought male got the extra swimmerets? refer to pic..

i feed them once a day too.. around total 5 sticks or pellets.. i usually mix them.. clarkiis i feed 2 sticks or pellets.. if i see overnight alot of fishes disappear i dun feed them le.. for frozen blood worm my quads i give half cube each.. clarkiis quarter cube each.. for peas is 1 or 2 pea each for quads.. clarkii is half pea each..
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #528
chequil

Quote:
i thought male got the extra swimmerets? refer to pic..

i feed them once a day too.. around total 5 sticks or pellets.. i usually mix them.. clarkiis i feed 2 sticks or pellets.. if i see overnight alot of fishes disappear i dun feed them le.. for frozen blood worm my quads i give half cube each.. clarkiis quarter cube each.. for peas is 1 or 2 pea each for quads.. clarkii is half pea each..
the photo shows the underside of a PROCAMBARUS species. your crayfishes are classified under the CHERAX species. =)
The easiest way to sex a cherax sp is to check it's gonopores.
3rd pair = female.
5th pair = male.
Or in your case, the pincers could tell you if it's a male/female.

Btw, do you boil your peas ?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #529
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
the photo shows the underside of a PROCAMBARUS species. your crayfishes are classified under the CHERAX species. =)
The easiest way to sex a cherax sp is to check it's gonopores.
3rd pair = female.
5th pair = male.
Or in your case, the pincers could tell you if it's a male/female.

Btw, do you boil your peas ?
Oooo.. so cherax dun have tt thing la.. no wonder i find it so easy to sex my clarkiis.. kk.. few days later i check my quad again.. i think the other one still small.. so no red patch yet.. but i'm hundred percent sure got no gonopores on the 3rd pair.. lol.. nope.. just defrost.. give it a tiny squeeze and it sinks le.. dun boil got more vitamins ma.. sian.. feel like giving away my quads to make way for white or orange clarkii and zebras or hoa creeks..
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #530
chequil

i just viewed the pictures you posted previously of your cherax quad. It's a female.