Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 19-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
fishy80
Account Disabled

Default Problems in my CRS tank

I have been using Magic soil for 1 year now. I am starting to experience a lot of Blue green algae in my tank. Its starting to cover up the moss. Is this because of the breakdown of the Magic soil? How do I solve this problem?
fishy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
globalcookie
Dragon

Info on your tank... Nil

How to guess what cause the algae 'boomz'? Some possiblilties includes, too much light, no snail/otto in tank, imbalance of nutrient control, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite (whatever it is.. high bio load), etc.

I don't know if this URL is reliable, but well, go take a read up and see if you find any good info
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_algae.php
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
fishy80
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Info on your tank... Nil

How to guess what cause the algae 'boomz'? Some possiblilties includes, too much light, no snail/otto in tank, imbalance of nutrient control, ammonia/nitrate/nitrite (whatever it is.. high bio load), etc.

I don't know if this URL is reliable, but well, go take a read up and see if you find any good info
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_algae.php
Hi Sorry,

Nitrate less than 5mg and no ferts added. 24 w in a 2 ft x 1 ft tank. Everything to the bare minimum.
Old 20-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy80 View Post
Hi Sorry,

Nitrate less than 5mg and no ferts added. 24 w in a 2 ft x 1 ft tank. Everything to the bare minimum.
Blue green algae grows when nitrate levels are too low. If you have plants, dose a bit of nitrates to bring up the levels.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Hi Sorry,

how long did you on the lights? any idea whats your phostphates (po4) level? high level of phostphates may lead to algae boom.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
fishy80
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
how long did you on the lights? any idea whats your phostphates (po4) level? high level of phostphates may lead to algae boom.
Hi, I tested the phospates level, its very close to zero. At most 0.008. Lights are on for 6 hrs daily. its off for 2 hours in between. Only Spiky moss and Subwassertang in my CRS tank.
Old 20-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Wjustin

Quote:
I have been using Magic soil for 1 year now. I am starting to experience a lot of Blue green algae in my tank. Its starting to cover up the moss. Is this because of the breakdown of the Magic soil? How do I solve this problem?
BGA is normally caused by excessive nutirents or low flow rate of water or too bright light .

You can do this . Black out your tank for 4 days and you will see your BGA turn brown and suck them up and your tank should be fine.

1 more thing . Is your tank exposed to sunlight?
Old 21-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
fishy80
Account Disabled

[QUOTE=Wjustin;7280885]BGA is normally caused by excessive nutirents or low flow rate of water or too bright light .

You can do this . Black out your tank for 4 days and you will see your BGA turn brown and suck them up and your tank should be fine.

1 more thing . Is your tank exposed to sunlight?[/QUOTE

I dun think the lights are too bright. I am using a 24 w for 2ft tank. I am using a Eheim 2211 for filtration. My tank is about 48litres. I might consider swapping the rainbar for a lily pipe. Initially, the BGA was on the soil and I tried blacking out for a week. After that the BGA disappeared from the soil, it went on the moss.
Old 21-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
fishy80
Account Disabled

Just to add, I did a nitrate test. The nitrate is less than 5mg, very close to zero.
Old 21-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

Could it be the temperature? Apart from lighting, does cooler water reduces algae growth? Anyway, do you hv any snails or ottos to eat up the algae? I didn't see any mention of that.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote