Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 19-05-2004, 01:55 AM   #1
bonjour2

Default Need Advise on Sump Tank

Hello everyone , need a advice on Sump tank again. Okay , supposing if my overflow tube is 20mm , for a basic sump tank with a DSB Compartment , and only 1 Return Pump with attached to a Skimmer , say Weipro 2011 , what is the recommended power for pump eg, ????l/h I am afraid that the 20mm overflow tube is small , causing the pump to empty the water in sump faster than the overflow into the sump , at the same time worry that pump not strong enough for the skimmer?
Old 19-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
xiggie
Account Disabled

20 mm = 2 cm tube? thats small ..... think u need a bigger tube
xiggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2004, 07:37 PM   #3
Navyblue

Hi,

I think your worry should not be sump getting emptied, I believe before that your tank already overflowed.

The outflow doesnot rely on tube diameter alone, but also the head pressure at the outlet. On this I can not help to advice as it will depend on your situation.

If I'm not mistaken you are using a 3' tank? That way you need about 2000L/H of water exchange after head pressure, thus before head, assuming 50% loss of flow, it will be about 4000 L/H for the circulation.

If you need to divert this pump to a weipro 2011, it roughly need about 2000 L/H. Thus you need to have a pump that is 2000 + 4000 = 6000 L/H.

Of course I am oversimplifying the calculation here. I am not a hydraulic expert but I am aware that the flow addition will be complicated by the use of diversion and throttling valve.

I have one question for you, how is your tank drilled?

Good luck.
Old 19-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
devilfire

ur main tk will not overflow if proper design n calculations is made.
think it would b better if u could give a really detailed one.
e.g.1) tk size(both)
2) distance between the overflow pipe/box 2 the top of the main tk.
3) where u gonna place ur skimmer
etc....
Old 19-05-2004, 11:50 PM   #5
bonjour2

Hi everyone , thanks.
Basically , 1)the main tank size is 30" x 18" x 18"
sump tank size is 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft

2) there is only one hole drilled 25mm on the left size bottom of tank and I have to get a pvc pipe to extend the length of the overflow pipe.(my tank overflow compartment is simlpy the pipe w/o the special overflow compartment like other tank)
3) Sump tank is basically a filter media compartment , a DSB Compartment and the return pump compartment. My idea is to connect a Weipro 2011 to the return pump , placed hanging on the main tank itself, which means that the final discharge of the water to main tank is through skimmer outlet , not the return pipe connected to return pump. Return pipe is 20mm .
Can you guys advise if this is feasible?
Old 20-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
devilfire

r u goin 2 DIY ur sump or it has already being made 1??
Old 20-05-2004, 12:09 AM   #7
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

yes it will work but is yr powerhead suitable for the headloss from the sump to the skimmer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour2
Hi everyone , thanks.
Basically , 1)the main tank size is 30" x 18" x 18"
sump tank size is 1.5ft by 1ft by 1ft

2) there is only one hole drilled 25mm on the left size bottom of tank and I have to get a pvc pipe to extend the length of the overflow pipe.(my tank overflow compartment is simlpy the pipe w/o the special overflow compartment like other tank)
3) Sump tank is basically a filter media compartment , a DSB Compartment and the return pump compartment. My idea is to connect a Weipro 2011 to the return pump , placed hanging on the main tank itself, which means that the final discharge of the water to main tank is through skimmer outlet , not the return pipe connected to return pump. Return pipe is 20mm .
Can you guys advise if this is feasible?
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote