Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
shermie
Senior Dragon
 
shermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,048
Default After hunger strike for almost 2 months...



Started eating sinking pellets as it's comeback food... went roughly 1.5-2 months of self induced hunger strike for no reason. Just sharing so ppl dont worry needlessly when their reds go on hunger strike... provided no health or water issues they'll just resume eating as n when they want.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
johnenrui
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 65
Default

Hey bro.. thanks for sharing. What about stingrays that are stubbornly refusing to eat?:/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Strad
Dragon
 
Strad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 613
Default

sorry to hear that.
can i ask if you try other foods that it still refuse to consume?
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
johnenrui
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strad View Post
sorry to hear that.

can i ask if you try other foods that it still refuse to consume?


Hahaha wasn't sure if you were replying to me. But since the TS's red is already eating - but again, might be hikacking his thread. I tried FBW and love ghost shrimps even. It's moving pretty actively, just ignoring the food... I think about 1-2months already, 9-10". I WC once a week and I think my water is fine. I have another ray slightly small which eats like a pig and pounce on any kind of food even pellets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
shermie
Senior Dragon
 
shermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
Hahaha wasn't sure if you were replying to me. But since the TS's red is already eating - but again, might be hikacking his thread. I tried FBW and love ghost shrimps even. It's moving pretty actively, just ignoring the food... I think about 1-2months already, 9-10". I WC once a week and I think my water is fine. I have another ray slightly small which eats like a pig and pounce on any kind of food even pellets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your ray hasnt eaten for 1-2 months? was it new and never ate or u had it for some time n it stopped eating? is the poop white / stringy? breathing any problem eg hyperventilating or breating out of one set of gills only? does it swim wierd /spasm / cough violently at times? it'll be good if u could post pics and double check your water parameters to play safe, but i'll say high chance flukes or internal parasites. praziquantel based treatment like prazi pro or prazi gold would be what u need then.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
shermie
Senior Dragon
 
shermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,048
Default

Just to add... larger red Aros going on hunger strike quite normal... rays on the other hand should never stop eating.. a healthy ray is always greedy.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
johnenrui
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
your ray hasnt eaten for 1-2 months? was it new and never ate or u had it for some time n it stopped eating? is the poop white / stringy? breathing any problem eg hyperventilating or breating out of one set of gills only? does it swim wierd /spasm / cough violently at times? it'll be good if u could post pics and double check your water parameters to play safe, but i'll say high chance flukes or internal parasites. praziquantel based treatment like prazi pro or prazi gold would be what u need then.


It was new. Shipped it from overseas, but I've seen feeding videos of it before it was shipped. I had bought from this source before. It came fat and looked well fed. I don't see poop lol. Breathing looks fine to me... moderately like my other ray.. and it doesn't have weird spasm:/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
shermie
Senior Dragon
 
shermie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,048
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
It was new. Shipped it from overseas, but I've seen feeding videos of it before it was shipped. I had bought from this source before. It came fat and looked well fed. I don't see poop lol. Breathing looks fine to me... moderately like my other ray.. and it doesn't have weird spasm:/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what was it feeding on before u got it? technically most rays will eat minutes to hours after transfer even if long transport time.. unless it was very stressed or not properly acclimatized... but even then not eating for 1-2months shouldnt be the case.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
johnenrui
Arofanatic
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
what was it feeding on before u got it? technically most rays will eat minutes to hours after transfer even if long transport time.. unless it was very stressed or not properly acclimatized... but even then not eating for 1-2months shouldnt be the case.


It was on frozen ghost shrimp.. which to be fair I didn't feed... I did try live shrimp and fbw... and MP and fish meat. Can you whatsapp me? I send you a video.. 92985143


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123
 
streetsmart73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,895
Default

mine too. A 26" 5-year old red goes off food for more than 2 months.

Just maintain good water parameters. It just doesn't want to feed.

It was one week ago that it stated again on mp

Honest, this is not the first time my "min min" did it.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)