Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 31-12-2014, 01:20 AM   #231
matubula
Dragon

A beauty I saw recently. I've been told the Rio Jamanxim P. armbrusteri are more commonly imported than those upstream in the Teles Pires, since there is more water year round, and less far too go.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
matubula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #232
matubula
Dragon

These guys were recently collected from around Sao Felix do Xingu, a higher up collection point on the rio Xingu.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #233
matubula
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
Some new in the exporter list. L27s. Still trying to verified if it is new panaque.

Anyone can share lights on this fellow?

Photo credit:
Wilfred Chan
I learnt some new info from the boss of my LFS (the same guy who importer the fish in the above videos).

He showed me some pictures from a collector in Sao Felix do Xingu, which he called 'L027 Spectra'. The weird thing is that they don't look like the traditional P. cf. armbrusteri 'Xingu' (Xingu platinum, L027, LDA063 etc whatever you want to call them), they look like P. armbrusteri from the rio Teles Pires. I didn't believe him at first, because they look the spitting image of P. arm 'Teles Pires', even one used in the description of the species. But suffice to say, I trust what he said.

So these fish were collected in the upper rio Xingu, in Sao Felix do Xingu, and to my eyes, are definitely not what we usually think of from the Xingu. They match pretty well with Edmundo's picture of L027s above.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #234
RELAX
Dragon

look similar to me too
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #235
joefoo
Arofanatic

Very very Nice
i hope to owned
one
joefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #236
Kheong
Banned

Any possibility of cross-breeding between goldines, xingus, watermelon, if they happen to cross their usual boundary?
Kheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #237
matubula
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheong View Post
Any possibility of cross-breeding between goldines, xingus, watermelon, if they happen to cross their usual boundary?
I don't know. I don't think we can know, unless it were to happen in an aquarium and be documented.

The more I learn, the more I think it's naive to think that Brazilian Panaque distribution is as clear cut as thinking there are 4 river types (Tapajos, Xingu, Araguaia & Tocantins) restricted to 3 river basins (Tapajos, Xingu & Araguaia-Tocantins). I think there is a lot of 'blurring of the lines' between populations.

It does seem that Panaque armbrusteri (Tapajos) is more widespread now. I've seen evidence (mind you, this is from sitting behind a computer) that P. armbrusteri can be found in 3 different river basins: Tapajos basin (Teles Pires & Jamanxim rivers), Xingu basin (upper Xingu river in Sao Felix do Xingu) and Madeira basin (Aripuana river).

It could be that P. armbrusteri has spread by migrating to different watersheds, potentially from flooding during the rainy season, going the long way round downstream/upstream or translocation by some vector. Or perhaps that P. armbrusteri (or another) is an ancestral species present in all these basins, and that the other forms have evolved to fit different niches along its distribution.

Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 13-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #238
johannes

Goldline is from Araguaia, a supposedly different species and should not be under L27 based on the teeth/dentition and head shape.

Anyway, Tapajos are also usually marketed as "Goldline Thunder", which can sometimes be misleading to hobbyists.

These are two different gold lines. That is why i usually use their locality to differentiate instead of trade names and alphabets after the L-number.

This new P. armbrusteri from new locality does seem to look rather special and nice looking, despite being another locality variant of L27.
Old 14-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #239
matubula
Dragon

Yup Johannes, I agree there's (at least) two types that we call Araguaia/goldline. I think there's a Panaque cf. nigrolineatus type and Panaque cf. armbrusteri type, based on the dentition I've seen.
Old 20-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #240
Kheong
Banned

Does it matter as long as it is gold? 😛
Kheong is offline   Reply With Quote