Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 21-11-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
sthh
Arofanatic

Some plants readily takes up ammonia, but I think those are more aquatic. These vegetables are use to take up nitrates. Anyway, there isn't much ammonia in the tank too.
sthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #12
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

Would u be worried about chemicals and harmful substances being taken up and concentrated in the vegetables u are growing?
Pellets used to feed ornamental fish usu have color enhancers, stabilizers, growth enhancers etc. These maybe excreted by the fish or in the tank water and subsequently taken up by the vegetables.
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #13
sthh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchabullosa View Post
Would u be worried about chemicals and harmful substances being taken up and concentrated in the vegetables u are growing?
Pellets used to feed ornamental fish usu have color enhancers, stabilizers, growth enhancers etc. These maybe excreted by the fish or in the tank water and subsequently taken up by the vegetables.
Not too worried about that. Fishes are like canary in a mine, anything dangerous in minute quantity, and they will show the sign.
Old 23-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
sthh
Arofanatic

Of the 28 seeds I sowed, nearly all of them germinated. 24 are potted in clay balls in square net pots, which sits neatly on the OHF trays.
Now they are bathed in aquarium light and water. The 4 tubes of T5 lights will be switch on for 8 hours daily.

Old 23-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #15
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

With so many, the tank now looks quite dark. Lol
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
sthh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
With so many, the tank now looks quite dark. Lol
The first photo was taken with only 2 tubes of T5 lights switched on, so that the seedlings can be seen. It's quite bright in the tank actually. Maybe when the naibai develops larger leaves, the tank will be darker. Then it will be time to harvest.
Old 26-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #17
TuNA
Dragon

Are the clay balls same as those sold in nurseries ?
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
sthh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNA View Post
Are the clay balls same as those sold in nurseries ?
I got my german clay balls from world farm, they are rounder, and very firm. Those irregular shaped ones could be from other countries, and some tends to break down.
But most importantly, as long as they are inert, it is good for the fishes and the plants.
Old 27-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #19
shermie
Senior Dragon

interesting read, thx for sharing.

i was planning something like this too, although purely for the reduction of nitrates. cant do it on ohf platform as i'll need way too many plants for my purpose, probably a 4x3x2 tub or something like that.. but i'm still pondering how to get the water flow into the tub and back to the tank at a even rate considering the tub will be a seperate fixture n there wont be overflow from tank to tub.

1.) mount metal bars/bracings above the tank for the tub. use a pump to get water into the tub n let it flow back into tank via gravity. no need to worry about even flow rate but installing metal brackets over current tank is going to be messy. and not sure if it can take the weight.

2.) put tub next to tank, pump water into tub with pump, elevate tub slightly to above sump height and connect overflow pvc from tub to sump.. then pump water back from sump to tank with another pump. problem is i already have 2 strong pumps in my sump and only 1 pvc from tank to sump, so having 3 pumps in sump will make it even harder to control the water level in sump.

kinda off topic lol.

p.s : stock more fish.. ur bioload is too low to produce enough nitrates.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #20
sthh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
interesting read, thx for sharing.

i was planning something like this too, although purely for the reduction of nitrates. cant do it on ohf platform as i'll need way too many plants for my purpose, probably a 4x3x2 tub or something like that.. but i'm still pondering how to get the water flow into the tub and back to the tank at a even rate considering the tub will be a seperate fixture n there wont be overflow from tank to tub.

1.) mount metal bars/bracings above the tank for the tub. use a pump to get water into the tub n let it flow back into tank via gravity. no need to worry about even flow rate but installing metal brackets over current tank is going to be messy. and not sure if it can take the weight.

2.) put tub next to tank, pump water into tub with pump, elevate tub slightly to above sump height and connect overflow pvc from tub to sump.. then pump water back from sump to tank with another pump. problem is i already have 2 strong pumps in my sump and only 1 pvc from tank to sump, so having 3 pumps in sump will make it even harder to control the water level in sump.

kinda off topic lol.

p.s : stock more fish.. ur bioload is too low to produce enough nitrates.
Yeah, bioload is too low, hence I am supplementing with 1 teaspoon for Seachem Flourish "Trace" and 5ml of balanced 21-21-21 for each of the seedling. Doesn't affect water quality at all.

You can consider growing water cress, they are huge nitrogen suckers, and quite delicious in soup and salad. Get those in market with some some roots still on the stems, they will take off quite fast, and are low maintenance.