Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 24-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Default Diary: 120cm x 45cm x 45cm Aquascape

Hi all,

I am planning to set up a new planted aquascape hopefully in the span of the next 3-6 months. I was initially planning for a 3 feet setup but prefer the panaromic view of the 120cm x 45cm setup. This is approximately a 65 gallon setup.

I am still undecided on the layout/theme but it will probably be Iwagumi-styled. I think most people prefer the smaller-scale-than-life kind of setups and that's what I prefer as well. However, scaping is an art, I am not confident at all about this part - but hope I can learn from the process to create something presentable.

My equipment list is quite standard and I am accquiring them bit by bit. It's a balancing act of cost versus quality. It is easy to be caught in the heat of the moment and buy something that costs more without being more functional. In this sense, I am keen to get most of the items used - except for the tank because of it's odd size as well as the clarity I want.

Tank
Braceless 120x45x45(cm) - I will either get it custom-made (if I intend to do a sump setup) or get a ready-made CADE crystal glass tank. I have not seen an ADA / CADE tank in person to make a judgement.

Cabinet
Will need to have this custom made unless there is some furniture out there that is strong enough to hold the tank. Probably shorter in height and much longer than the width of the tank - so that the tank looks wider and kids can view with ease.

Lighting (200-300watt range)
The price range for lights is very wide. Lights are not cheap unfortunately. After reading up a bit. I have narrowed down the lights I need to T5HO, Metal Halide or combination. Metal Halide seems to be the ultimate - but the cost is easily 2-3 times the others.

Most 4-feet MH light come with 2x150w bulbs minimum and they are both on at the same time. I am concerned that this may be too strong for a tank height of 45cm for a low-medium density planted setup although I may be wrong. I am leaning towards a 4x54w or 6x54w T5HO light fixture due to cost.

Filteration
I am quite stumped at this juncture. I would like to minimise the equipment showing in the tank although I know this is near impossible. Overflow sump filters can help hide most of the equipment in the cabinet and leaves a clean surface. External canister filters are tried and proven.

Issues:
1) Sump (Overflow inlet) - needs a tank corner as inlet. Vigorous surface aggitation when the overflow enters the pipe.
2) Sump (Submerged inlet) - seldom see this in person. Cannot skim surface.

CO2 Injection
I recently acquired a CO2 tank so that is one equipment I don't need to get.

Chiller
I reckon a 1/8hp chiller would be just nice for this tank size. Probably get used.

Substrate
A fertilizer base + soil. Probably Gex green pack soil.

Would appreciate comments on any of the issues, especially highlighted in blue.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Tank
Finally saw my first ADA tank in person at BioTope. Extremely impressed by the finishing. If the CADE is 80% of that, I will be very satisfied already.

The ADA tank at the shop (still unpacked) is 90x45x45 and it actually looks quite big already. I am was actually having second thoughts about choosing a 120cm tank for the project due to the cost difference in the acquiring all the equipment and the maintenance for a newbie with a > 2 feet planted tank.

Another factor is the intention to have a long low-profile cabinet. Ideally, 45-50cm and this is the minimum requirement for most equipment (chiller/filter). The smaller the tank, the easier it is to get away with smaller equipment.

Lighting
I do not have any experience with MH. With a 45cm depth, T5HOs may be more than sufficient. Heat is another issue as the area I intend to place the tank is not well ventilated although spacious enough. I understand that the light cast of the MH is very nice, e.g. directional and accentuates the surface ripples and casts shadows.
Does it make a noticable difference?
I may need to find some shops with full setups to better appreciate the differences.
Old 29-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
the_r0ck

Personally I do feel that a 120cm length tank would be much more ideal. Its in that stretch that pulls the scape wider and its even more perfect if you are going for a rock scape.

For the cabinet I would actually recommend you to get the contact of the cabinet makers for the fish tanks and customize to your own preferences. Cause it has to fit your house and not look out of place. I have realized that even though a scape is nice, if the cabinet is not in sync with the rest of the house it will turn out wrong.

For the lights you can actually go for T5HO. For my new 4 footer setup I am gunning for T5HO's as well as I prefer the width (I never really like lights to be too concentrated, and MH, no matter how you do it, will always have stronger and weaker lit areas if you compare carefully with flourscent tubes. )

For the filter, when you get your cabinet, you can carve a hole at one side of it for the filter tubings and the CO2 tube to come out. Have all of them in clear white if you want aesthetics.

For substrate I am always, always an ADA Aquasoil fan, but I think 1,001 members here disagree and support GEX.

My 2 cents.
Old 30-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
Personally I do feel that a 120cm length tank would be much more ideal. Its in that stretch that pulls the scape wider and its even more perfect if you are going for a rock scape.
I have decided to settle for 120cm length x 45cm. Will be placing an order soon in the coming days. Will not paste oyama paper for the time being.

Quote:
For the cabinet I would actually recommend you to get the contact of the cabinet makers for the fish tanks and customize to your own preferences. Cause it has to fit your house and not look out of place. I have realized that even though a scape is nice, if the cabinet is not in sync with the rest of the house it will turn out wrong.
Yes. I am in the midst of planning the layout. The cabinet will be almost twice the length of the tank. The tank will sit either center or off-centre with additional support beneath the area where the tank sits.

Quote:
For the lights you can actually go for T5HO. For my new 4 footer setup I am gunning for T5HO's as well as I prefer the width (I never really like lights to be too concentrated, and MH, no matter how you do it, will always have stronger and weaker lit areas if you compare carefully with flourscent tubes. )
Finally decided to settle for T5HO. Most MH + T5HO combinations are too wide to look uncluttered. MH may be overkill too.

Quote:
For the filter, when you get your cabinet, you can carve a hole at one side of it for the filter tubings and the CO2 tube to come out. Have all of them in clear white if you want aesthetics.
For substrate I am always, always an ADA Aquasoil fan, but I think 1,001 members here disagree and support GEX.
My 2 cents.
A large surface area of the cabinet rear will be exposed. Structurally, it's weak except for the area where the tank sits which is reinforced by wooden beams. It's almost like a shell with a solid middle. I hope to achieve a "tank on platform" look.

Regarding substrate.. hehehe. I am very pleased with Gex green pack. I am also leaning towards Gex. I think I will need 5-6 packets of 9L.

Filtration
I am forgoing the sump and going for external filtration. Not because of loss of CO2. But I can't think of a good way to hide the sump inlet (submerged/overflow). Lily & glass inlet pipes here I come... Probably a 2228/2028 or equivalent. I hope I can do without an external pump to power the chiller. Light-medium density plants, light fauna.

Chiller
1/6 to 1/2hp chiller. Resun seems noisy from the feedback. That leaves Hailea for me unless there are good offers on used sets like Teco or Artica. Dimension matters also. Will need strong cabinet fans to exhaust this compartment.

Hardscape / Aquascape/ Fauna
After talking so much about the equipment, I have no concrete plans for the scape. Learning more by reading the experiences of the experts in various forums. Practical experience is zero.
Old 30-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
the_r0ck

Don't get the oyama paper, ever.

Get large cardboards or paper backings. You can find them at Bras Brasah or places like Artfriend. This way you can change the background color as and when you like. Get blue, white and prolly black backings. Different scapes will work with different backings.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
steroiduser88

sorry big guys newbie here but i have thought of setting up one of those setups but its 120 by 40 by 45 instead one thing occured to me is that you cant fit your normal 4ft lights over those tanks perfectly hence abit will protrude out.

may i know how much you paid for the tank alvin?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Don't get the oyama paper, ever.
Get large cardboards or paper backings. You can find them at Bras Brasah or places like Artfriend. This way you can change the background color as and when you like. Get blue, white and prolly black backings. Different scapes will work with different backings.
Calvin, didn't know that Oyama paper is bad. I probably haven't been reading up enough on them.. When you say paper backings, I reckon the application is just to leave the cardboard behind the tank without any direct pasting on to the glass? I will search the forums for the reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroiduser88 View Post
sorry big guys newbie here but i have thought of setting up one of those setups but its 120 by 40 by 45 instead one thing occured to me is that you cant fit your normal 4ft lights over those tanks perfectly hence abit will protrude out.
may i know how much you paid for the tank alvin?
steroiduser88.

I haven't ordered the tank yet. I am going down to havelock road LFS maybe later to check it out in person and to find out the prices as well. May order online depending on the cost difference. Online sites are showing $550+.

I think the reason for the protrusion is because 4 feet converted to centimeters is slightly longer by a bit. I am also a newbie regarding planted.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
steroiduser88

you getting the ada one or those normal ones from tankmakers?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #9
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Probably the CADE ones. Opti-clear glass with minimal silicon.

Went down to the LFS at Havelock and saw the display tank. The construction is very minimalistic and saw quite a bit of planted stuff that very few other LFS in the west carry (e.g. ANS, ADA, Daz, etc). I was given a contact person to call regarding the price for the tank as they need to order.
Old 24-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #10
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Equipment Update:

Acquired most of my equipment used to cut cost - although it took 1 month.

1) Used Hailea 1/4 hp Chiller
2) Used Eheim 1260 Universal Pump
3) Used 4-tube Hopar T5HO set
4) Miscellaneous small rocks
5) Used Eheim 2228/2028 canister filter - (free from an acquaintance)
6) New 6500K T5HO tubes
7) Cabinet

Still Acquiring:
1) Tank (possibly 12mm thick)
2) CO2 Solenoid + External Reactor (Ista Max Mix / NA / Jaqno)
3) Soil / more Rocks / Plants / Pipes
4) Flora - UG or HC + others
5) Fauna last to come

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank-cabinet.gif
Views:	2378
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	236379