Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
seikomania

Default sand or no sand for 2 ft tank of african cichlids?

Hi guys...

Need advice here on whether is it good to put sand in cichlid tank of 2 ft and also what kind of sand if use?

what lighting to use also?
seikomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
sherchoo
Arofanatic

I vote .... Sand!
sherchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
I vote .... Sand!
What type of sand is very much up to you. I personally like my crushed coral sand. It maintains a high pH plus it looks great. Find it quite easy to maintain too.

Some had advise against it as it has sharp edges but it has been more than 4 months now and no issues on that.

For lights, LEDs works great. I have the white strips that came with the light hood and I added a RGB strip and that allows me to control the lighting temperature.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
seikomania

Nice..Thanks for the advice.. What is RGB? Any brand of lights to look at?
Last but not least cichlids can mix with what fishes?So far i only put 1 albino bicinir and a pelco inside plus my test water tin foil barbs x2 haha..
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
sherchoo
Arofanatic

You probably need to decide what setup you really want to do e.g. Malawi or Tanganyikan (I'm assuming you're intending to do an African Cichlid tank). Both these types on species requires pretty similar water condition but the behaviour may not be suitable to mix.

For me i selected Malawi cos they are colourful and active. Really fun to see them swimming around. I haven't tried Tanganyika before but i was told the characters are very interesting.

Birchir are African species too but water parameter differs quick significantly compared to the african lake cichlids. So you probably need to research abit more and decide
Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
wildbear
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seikomania View Post
Hi guys...

Need advice here on whether is it good to put sand in cichlid tank of 2 ft and also what kind of sand if use?

Malawi both coral sand or crushed coral(coral chips) is fine but if tanganyikan C0 coral sand is best. Suitable for all breed(sand sifter, shell dweller, mouth brooders). Coral also help to stabilize PH. Most keeper used any kind of white light be it LED or tube depending on your preference & budget.

So what you keeping bro? 2ft usually for species tank only
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
wildbear
Arofanatic

Quote:
Nice..Thanks for the advice.. What is RGB? Any brand of lights to look at?
Last but not least cichlids can mix with what fishes?So far i only put 1 albino bicinir and a pelco inside plus my test water tin foil barbs x2 haha..
Good to keep just African cichlids in same tank. If you have added salt to mimic water parameter, most pleco usually will not survive long.
wildbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
seikomania

What's different between the both? I buy around a dozen of cichlids at Clementi lately.. I also not sure what breed.. What food to feed them best?i try give pellets but the water turn cloudy damn fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Quote:
What's different between the both? I buy around a dozen of cichlids at Clementi lately.. I also not sure what breed.. What food to feed them best?i try give pellets but the water turn cloudy damn fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Photos will be helpful
Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Hi guys...

1) 2ft tank is too small for community African cichlids and from what u said u purchased quite a few liao...I would assume its mostly Malawi chap-pa-lang types. Honestly, 2ft tank can serve only couple purposes...1) breeding tank for small-size cichlids, 2) quarantine tank, 3) fry tank, others(?). 2ft for permanent community tank is a big NO.

2) Sand ....definitely need sand if its for long-term housing of cichlids....unless its transition tank like quarantine or temporary housing..then maybe bare tank still ok lo. Cichlids love to play with sand. Like some bros above has suggested...coral sand would be ideal.

Hope it helps. Looking forward to pics of yr fishes.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote