Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 14-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #21
deep_end

bro ReDDeviLs,

Not necessarily. Bottom line as far as consumption is concerned is the Wattage consumed, and the efficiency in BTU. If you use a 2nd hand boxed chiller, it would be as inefficient as a 2nd hand AC compressor. New versus new, it all boils down to wattage and BTU.

Bro Barra,

Yes, AC compressors are larger, but their BTU ratings are correspondingly higher, so they will work much shorter times than a smaller compressor. E.g, a 3/4HP compressor that pushes 6500 BTU will cool X litres of water in 1/4 the time of a boxed chiller that does 1625 BTU. Then look at the wattage consumed. If the 3/4HP is 560W and your boxed chiller is 140W, then it's the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
after thinking abt bro deep_ends suggestion,i came to think that will it be much costly if we are using it in SG?
as a chiller we use is because its more energy saving than turning the aircon on.
if we were to use the aircon compressor..with chiller..will that be more expensive in terms of electric? as older aircon compressor consume more electric.
Old 14-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #22
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
Jeff,

I think you have missed the point. The compressor sits outside the apartment, not indoors. That's why there's no noise and sound inside the apartment from the compressor, unlike boxed units.

The copper tubing is included in the price of installation of a typical aircon unit, and it should be so, for the chiller too. In most cases, the technicians use conduits or plastic white casings to enclose the copper so they're not so obvious.
deep_end,

Outside the apartment. Thats the main problem I faced when having a thought of an outdoor compressor. Singapore HDB do not allow you to install more than 1 aircon unit per household due to the power supply is very limited. We cant place the compressor at our corridors too. It'll obstruct neighbours passing by. Morever, our fire department will say not enough clearance for emergencies escape. Headache right?
Old 17-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #23
deep_end

Jeffrey74,

Wah lau eh, so lecheh one ah? So during heat wave, everyone gotta cram into the same room to sleep ah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey74
deep_end,

Outside the apartment. Thats the main problem I faced when having a thought of an outdoor compressor. Singapore HDB do not allow you to install more than 1 aircon unit per household due to the power supply is very limited. We cant place the compressor at our corridors too. It'll obstruct neighbours passing by. Morever, our fire department will say not enough clearance for emergencies escape. Headache right?
Old 17-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #24
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
Jeffrey74,

Wah lau eh, so lecheh one ah? So during heat wave, everyone gotta cram into the same room to sleep ah?
Not what you think lah. Meaning 1 compressor unit can be 1 to 1 ~ 1 to 4 split aircon unit. We still can enjoy aircon during heat waves.
Old 23-06-2004, 11:23 PM   #25
Tigger

which is the best value for money chiller
Old 23-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #26
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
which is the best value for money chiller
You pay for what you get .. good things dont come cheap. That will depends on yr system requirements.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2004, 03:06 AM   #27
SGRay

how about we compare resun 650-650W 1/4 hp and artica ra150 -150W 1/5 hp
the artica chiller is much much mroe efficient than the resun as artica chilelr are using technology superior to others. the btu of the artica chiller definitely beat resun or even teco of similat or same hp. but the wattage is so low... definitely will save much more..
Old 25-06-2004, 08:41 AM   #28
astro

i tried that formula too when deciding on whic aircon to buy, inverter or not..
finally bought a non-inverter
Old 25-06-2004, 09:15 AM   #29
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
i tried that formula too when deciding on whic aircon to buy, inverter or not..
finally bought a non-inverter
Can I know why you chose a non-inverter aircon instead?
Old 31-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #30
losmandy

Has anyone Tong the atman 1/2hp chiller?

I believe one bro here has his tank crashed while he is away in Japan because the ATman chiller kon out :P The thermostat spoilt if I am not wrong.

Now you don't only pay for more efficient chiller, you pay for more reliable chiller. More reliable + more efficient.

After you tong the Atman 1/2hp, I am sure it draws much more than 320watts. The Artica 1/2hp draws around 660watts (tongED reading), this has not been corrected for power factor yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Many of us believed that the higher the horsepower rating (HP), the shorter the operation time and the lower the cost. The HP ratings can be the compressor rating only or the overall rating.

Atman 1/2HP (overall) -compressor 1/4HP
Wattage 320watts

Artica 1/2HP (compressor) - overall 1.56HP
Wattage 616watts

Assuming artica chiller runs 6hrs/day and atman 12hrs/day..

Artica -
2.8A X 220V = 616watts
(616watts x 6hrs x 30 days)/1000 = 110.88kWh
110.88kWh x $0.1508/kWh = $16.72/month

Atman
(320watts x 12hrs x 30 days)/1000 =115.2kWh
115.2kWh x $0.1508/kWh = $17.37/month

Difference in running cost
$17.37 - $16.72 = $0.65 savings/month.

Cost of chiller
Atman = $600
Artica = $1700

Difference in chiller cost
$1700 - $600 = $1100

Break even period
$1100 / $0.65/month = 1692 months = 141years!

__________________________________________________ __________

Assuming artica chiller runs 6hrs/day and atman 24hrs/day..

Atman running cost
$17.37 X 2 = $34.74/month

Difference in running cost
$34.74 - 16.72 = $18.02/month

Break even period
$1100 / $18.02/month = 61months = 5years!

Basically it means that you will need at least 5yrs to recover the cost on the purchase of the artica chiller VS its operating efficiency. (On the assumption that the Atman chiller is very inefficient (running non stop for 5years)

You do the maths, Artica chiller have an overall rating of 1.56HP and Atman with 0.5HP. So having a bigger chiller doesnt mean more cost savings ...

(Note. This is based on the assumption that the Atman chiller cooling a 190g tank with 2x250watts MH + 2x24watts T5 + 130watts external pump.)