Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 11-05-2004, 05:59 PM   #11
ReDDeviLs

thanks alot bro deep_end! means that i get a smaller power chiller connect it to air-con compressor we uses for at home..to drive it?
am i right to say that?
if i were to get them from JB.. will that be cheaper compare to SG?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #12
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Hey deepend,

If you can source out the parts for us or even better build chillers using commercial aircon compressors, I will consider buying if the price is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
bro ReDDeviLs,

I don't know why it is that lots of S'poreans seem to like to use box chillers when split unit chillers are so much more efficient and cost-effective.

I seem to recall posting something along these lines sometime back, but here it is again.

What you need is a titanium drop-in coil, or a titanium heat exchanger - figure about S$350-400 for this for a 1/2HP unit. This can be coupled to anything from a 1/2HP to 1HP outdoor unit aircon compressor. This should be available easily and cheaply from the aircon shops, 2nd hand. Just get it serviced and the gas refilled. Here in Malaysia, a 2nd hand 1HP compressor is about RM400. Then get a digital controller and sensor, which costs about RM120-150 here, depending on make.

Then get an aircon contractor to hook up the whole thing for you, by connecting the copper tubing to the titanium coil, set up the controller properly and it's a go.

The cooling capacity? With the above config., you can easily cool a 2000 litre tank to 20C, without overworking it. On a smaller config of a 1/4HP coil combined to a 1/2HP compressor, the same 2000 litres of water takes 6 hours to cool from 27C to 25C, then turns off for 8 hours before the temp. reaches 27C again. Of course with smaller tanks, the on-off times are more frequent.

Another eg., with the 1HP + 1/2HP combination, a 5'X1.5'X2' tall tank takes 15 min. to cool from 27 to 25, and stops for 1 hour before kicking in again.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #13
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
bro ReDDeviLs,

I don't know why it is that lots of S'poreans seem to like to use box chillers when split unit chillers are so much more efficient and cost-effective.

I seem to recall posting something along these lines sometime back, but here it is again.

What you need is a titanium drop-in coil, or a titanium heat exchanger - figure about S$350-400 for this for a 1/2HP unit. This can be coupled to anything from a 1/2HP to 1HP outdoor unit aircon compressor. This should be available easily and cheaply from the aircon shops, 2nd hand. Just get it serviced and the gas refilled. Here in Malaysia, a 2nd hand 1HP compressor is about RM400. Then get a digital controller and sensor, which costs about RM120-150 here, depending on make.

Then get an aircon contractor to hook up the whole thing for you, by connecting the copper tubing to the titanium coil, set up the controller properly and it's a go.

The cooling capacity? With the above config., you can easily cool a 2000 litre tank to 20C, without overworking it. On a smaller config of a 1/4HP coil combined to a 1/2HP compressor, the same 2000 litres of water takes 6 hours to cool from 27C to 25C, then turns off for 8 hours before the temp. reaches 27C again. Of course with smaller tanks, the on-off times are more frequent.

Another eg., with the 1HP + 1/2HP combination, a 5'X1.5'X2' tall tank takes 15 min. to cool from 27 to 25, and stops for 1 hour before kicking in again.
deep_end,

What you said about the performance of the split unit chillers are true. But 1 thing to consider is space in singapore. Most of us lived in HDB flats. I dont think anyone wants a compressor unit in their living room. I thought of the idea before. Unfortunately, I've to run a very long distance of copper pipes to the compressor in order to place the compressor unit in a well ventilated place. I gave up the idea in the end.
Old 13-05-2004, 09:52 PM   #14
spsman

Default hi barracuda

hi bro,
good analysis there with the costs. how abt the brand reliability factor?
shud a gd chiller last how many years?
back end service?

these were the questions i had when i bought my chiller.
currently using Dailace fish cooler. It is 1/3 horse power and 110 watts.
quite efficient for my 127 gallon tank.
i also think that MH has a role to play in power consumption as heat generated will incur Chiller Work OT.
but all in all, i think yor analysis is pretty clear and mathematical. thks . now i know how much i spent a month. $$$$
i guess it is part and parcel of the hobby.
b regds.
Old 13-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #15
ReDDeviLs

after thinking abt bro deep_ends suggestion,i came to think that will it be much costly if we are using it in SG?
as a chiller we use is because its more energy saving than turning the aircon on.
if we were to use the aircon compressor..with chiller..will that be more expensive in terms of electric? as older aircon compressor consume more electric.
Old 13-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #16
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
after thinking abt bro deep_ends suggestion,i came to think that will it be much costly if we are using it in SG?
as a chiller we use is because its more energy saving than turning the aircon on.
if we were to use the aircon compressor..with chiller..will that be more expensive in terms of electric? as older aircon compressor consume more electric.
yes, aircon compressors are much bigger than aquatic chillers so naturally they will consume more power
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2004, 12:19 AM   #17
devilfire

i think majority of s'poreans wont mind paying a little bit more 2 save on tat little extra mile 2 work.
moreover, some chillers r fitted with extra functions like my pacific coo is fitted with low n high temp alarm.
Old 14-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #18
deep_end

bro ReDDeviLs,

yes, we use exactly the same kind of outdoor compressor on a split-unit aircon. However, it may not be that easy finding a 1/2 or 3/4 HP compr. nowadays. You could ask your aircon technician to look for you though.

JB I can't really say, since prices there are generally higher than in KL. The prices I stated apply to KL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
thanks alot bro deep_end! means that i get a smaller power chiller connect it to air-con compressor we uses for at home..to drive it?
am i right to say that?
if i were to get them from JB.. will that be cheaper compare to SG?
Old 14-05-2004, 07:24 PM   #19
deep_end

hey bro,

Of cos I can. Only thing is either you guys take a drive up here to KL and pick them up or I send them down to you. Building them is not viable since the compressor is gonna be outdoors anyway. They would best be assembled at your premises. But for the compressor, it's better to source them in s'pore since I don't think a car will be able to cram in so many units

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™
Hey deepend,

If you can source out the parts for us or even better build chillers using commercial aircon compressors, I will consider buying if the price is good!
Old 14-05-2004, 07:30 PM   #20
deep_end

Jeff,

I think you have missed the point. The compressor sits outside the apartment, not indoors. That's why there's no noise and sound inside the apartment from the compressor, unlike boxed units.

The copper tubing is included in the price of installation of a typical aircon unit, and it should be so, for the chiller too. In most cases, the technicians use conduits or plastic white casings to enclose the copper so they're not so obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey74
deep_end,

What you said about the performance of the split unit chillers are true. But 1 thing to consider is space in singapore. Most of us lived in HDB flats. I dont think anyone wants a compressor unit in their living room. I thought of the idea before. Unfortunately, I've to run a very long distance of copper pipes to the compressor in order to place the compressor unit in a well ventilated place. I gave up the idea in the end.