Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 25-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
bbuck92

Default should i start a planted tank ??

to all expert here..i'm a newbie that needed ur advise..
i'm now in dilemma coz recently my mother has agreed to let me keep fish again, as for my father he always support me in fish keeping cause himself like it a lot as well.
now i planning to start a low light planted tank and i keep thinking if i just use the soil and some gravel with some simple grass and plants, will the plant last long ?? no co2, no special mineral for the plant and i want a 6x1,5x1,5 tank.
is it a little too much for me to keep ?? i also want to keep some guppies and shrimp in there as well..so do i need to keep cleaning the tank for food or shit ??

sorry for the bad english
Old 25-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
MohdSyah76

Hi bbuck92.
I sense lack of enthusiasm in you keeping a planted tank. To keep planted tank requires a lot of effort, dedication and money. If you are really keen, you need to read up and understand how the flora, fauna, lighting, substrate, water chemistry and other factors work for you and interact with each other. One of my favourite website that you can start with is www.aquahobby.com. Start from there.

Maybe as a start, you can begin with some nana plants and java ferns. They are hardy plants but it doesnt mean they will not die. As they do not need to be planted into the ground, you can buy them readily tied to driftwood. Easier to maintain and move around.
Old 25-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
bbuck92

yeach..first time want to try but afraid that i can't cope up that's why i hesitate so much..
btw thanks for the reference..
i'll read that up..
Old 25-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
tmark
Dragon

hi bro

I suggest if you keep guppies or other fishes do not keep shrimps....the babies will become a food for the guppies....just my 2 cents worth
tmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

TS, 6x1.5x1.5 planted tank is no joke, and definitely not a simple feat. pls readup more and plan carefully before u even jump in to start purchasing stuff.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Bettas4life

TS, suggest you start small first. i hope you will read up more in the forum sticky. If not your lifestock will be at the mercy of your carelessness.. im sorry for sounding harsh but theres no such thing as fish/ shrimp die can buy again for me. all livestocks are to be taken with total care and love.
Old 28-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
David@Redfish

Wow - as others have said - that's a very large tank to be starting with. I'd also recommend you start with something smaller!
Old 28-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Sunday
Dragon

I have a 4 footer at home. I'm decomm-ing it really soon but instead of keeping it and using it for a planet tank, i've invested more money in buying smaller tanks and one crystal glass 1ft cube to dabble with planting before i actually even try something like a 2/3 footer. To go straight into a 6 footer, you're gonna' need lots of money. You sound like a student and although i'm not implying that all students are poor, i'm just saying that it's best to think about what you're getting yourself into before you actually do it.

Read the stickies. I read everything before i even went out and bought anything.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
aia414
Arofanatic

I remember years ago when I started a 4ft planted tank, my initial investment was like around $300++. Things like lightings, fert, gravels, co2 tank, ext. cannister, etc etc...all basic stuffs.
Just to share some spending experience with you before you decide to jump into a 6 footer, which will definitely cost more...
aia414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Heuer
Dragon

A 6ft proper setup for planted will set you back at least $5k.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote