Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 11-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #31
Dave57

kepala sakit sent me a link on ionization potential via PM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion#Ionization_potential

Ionization potential in simple terms means the energy required to move (remove/ attach) an electron from an atom in chemical/ biochemical reactions. the chemistry of molecules involved will be changed.

evaporation involves energy to vaporize water from liquid state to vapor. Some ammonia (very minute amount) gets vaporized as well. but water & ammonia molecules remains unchanged despite the change of physical state. liquid water (H2O) remains as H2O in vapor form. Same goes for ammonia (NH3). the energy involved during evaporation is not sufficient to move electrons across atoms as discussed in the ionization potential link sent. Evaporation changes the physical states from liquid/ dissolved forms to gaseous forms. But, it is not a chemical reaction. Not redox.

it is an interesting read, but not in the same context.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #32
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
kepala sakit sent me a link on ionization potential via PM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion#Ionization_potential

Ionization potential in simple terms means the energy required to move (remove/ attach) an electron from an atom in chemical/ biochemical reactions. the chemistry of molecules involved will be changed.

evaporation involves energy to vaporize water from liquid state to vapor. Some ammonia (very minute amount) gets vaporized as well. but water & ammonia molecules remains unchanged despite the change of physical state. liquid water (H2O) remains as H2O in vapor form. Same goes for ammonia (NH3). the energy involved during evaporation is not sufficient to move electrons across atoms as discussed in the ionization potential link sent. Evaporation changes the physical states from liquid/ dissolved forms to gaseous forms. But, it is not a chemical reaction. Not redox.

it is an interesting read, but not in the same context.
What about oxidation?
kepala sakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #33
Dave57

Quote:
Evaporation changes the physical states from liquid/ dissolved forms to gaseous forms. But, it is not a chemical reaction. Not redox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
What about oxidation?
Redox = Reduction and oxidation.
Not Redox. Means no reduction and no oxidation.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #34
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Redox = Reduction and oxidation.
Not Redox. Means no reduction and no oxidation.
Hmmm...OK my bad...
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #35
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiokmc View Post
nid banglaaa labour wait for me...

...let me settle new hum first...
Chun bo? the lastime i is waiting till neck long long liao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ng View Post
yah lor, didnt invite me over...
Sorli la...nothing to see till it's done...
Old 15-05-2015, 01:39 AM   #36
AdamC
Arofanatic

Guys, aerobic bacteria such as Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, responsible for ammonia conversion to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, respectively, can exist in your tank both in the form of free swimming and clusters. The later is preferred. Hence, we use bio media to house them. As these BB are aerobic, they need adequate level of oxygen to do their part in the nitrogen cycle. Now you may ask what is adequate. Consider this, you can blast your tank with multiple air stones thinking this will increase the oxygen level in the water. In reality, this won't help. During surface agitation, oxygen is dissolved in water. Dissolved oxygen (DO) is the key factor here. Now comes the best part - DO in water saturates at 0.5%. This simply means you can achieve this by using just one air stone in your tank, approximately 200L as a point of reference. So, knowing this, I guess the rest you can figure out on your own.
As hobbyists, we often think we can do this, add this and that, to improve the conditions of our existing setup. But think again before acting. The golden rule is don't try to fix/add something when it's not broken.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #37
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepala sakit View Post
Chun bo? the lastime i is waiting till neck long long liao.

Sorli la...nothing to see till it's done...
Toad yewww i busy w hum maaaa

Clear LZ for jOhnNg
Wil lompang his private heli there
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Guys, aerobic bacteria such as Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter, responsible for ammonia conversion to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, respectively, can exist in your tank both in the form of free swimming and clusters. The later is preferred. Hence, we use bio media to house them. As these BB are aerobic, they need adequate level of oxygen to do their part in the nitrogen cycle. Now you may ask what is adequate. Consider this, you can blast your tank with multiple air stones thinking this will increase the oxygen level in the water. In reality, this won't help. During surface agitation, oxygen is dissolved in water. Dissolved oxygen (DO) is the key factor here. Now comes the best part - DO in water saturates at 0.5%. This simply means you can achieve this by using just one air stone in your tank, approximately 200L as a point of reference. So, knowing this, I guess the rest you can figure out on your own.
As hobbyists, we often think we can do this, add this and that, to improve the conditions of our existing setup. But think again before acting. The golden rule is don't try to fix/add something when it's not broken.
I think, bubbling actually increase the surface area of water, thus reduce the surface tension for water to increase in condensation?
Old 18-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
AdamC
Arofanatic

There's nothing wrong with more aeration using air stone. Air-water exchange increases DO, as well as expel harmful gases such as CO2 and NH3.
Just don't overdo it. Too strong of an aeration creates turbulence and this could stress out the fish.
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #40
kepala sakit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
There's nothing wrong with more aeration using air stone. Air-water exchange increases DO, as well as expel harmful gases such as CO2 and NH3.
Just don't overdo it. Too strong of an aeration creates turbulence and this could stress out the fish.
Bro, this thread is talking about aerated sump, I don't remember any one or meself mentioning increase aeration in the main tank, how cud an aerated sump can stress out the fish de, can enlighten mah.

Last edited by kepala sakit; 20-05-2015 at 06:11 AM.