Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 26-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
BettaFillet
Dragon

Default Suggestions to deal with algae

Hi everyone! My name is Joseph, currently studying in NTU. I was tasked with a project to study if it was possible to reduce the amount of algae present in a pond. One of the suggestions available was to introduce fishes/crustaceans into the ecosystem to help feed on algae. However, I am unsure of what species and type of fishes/crustaceans that can be introduced. Please recommend! Thanks
BettaFillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
cheng wei jian
Arofanatic

Namely, the common suckerfish, or even the Chinese algae eater, hope this helps and good luck with the project, sorry ah I'm only a sec school student so I'm not that scientific
cheng wei jian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Nevin
Dragon

Hi Joseph, before introduce any type of algae eater into your outdoor pond, you have to identify which type of algae or algae issue that your project is deal with.

If deal if algae that growth on the surface of pond walls, sucker (Pleco) would be an efficient algae eater with low cost.

If it is hair algae, Siam algae eater would be another option.

If it is green water issue, avoid excessive sunlight and install UV would sold the problem as well.

Anyway, good luck for your project, I am in NUS, yr 4 student
Nevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
BettaFillet
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng wei jian View Post
Namely, the common suckerfish, or even the Chinese algae eater, hope this helps and good luck with the project, sorry ah I'm only a sec school student so I'm not that scientific
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
Hi Joseph, before introduce any type of algae eater into your outdoor pond, you have to identify which type of algae or algae issue that your project is deal with.

If deal if algae that growth on the surface of pond walls, sucker (Pleco) would be an efficient algae eater with low cost.

If it is hair algae, Siam algae eater would be another option.

If it is green water issue, avoid excessive sunlight and install UV would sold the problem as well.

Anyway, good luck for your project, I am in NUS, yr 4 student
Thanks Wei Jian and Nevin! I was thinking about the Pleco as well. But i'm just curious, in the long run if the pleco consumes all the algae and there is little left, will the pleco be able to survive? As in does the pleco have alternative food sources other than algae?

Well, I am concerned that by adding the Pleco initially will help to remove the algae but I am afraid that they may starve when all the algae is consumed.
Old 27-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
patclay
Dragon

Plecos also need to eat other food like sinking pellets too, as they are formulated to include other types of vitamins.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
cheng wei jian
Arofanatic

Actually, in some of those town park ponds, these plecos are employed too, so should be no problem
cheng wei jian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 12:04 AM   #7
joemalu
Arofanatic

How about gambusia? I've seen mosquito fish in longkang in the past. My workplace have koi pond with gambusia in it also. But algae still bloom there.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=1530
joemalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFillet View Post

Well, I am concerned that by adding the Pleco initially will help to remove the algae but I am afraid that they may starve when all the algae is consumed.
Don't need to worry too much. If the pleco you adding is those common ones they will be hardy and you need not specially feed them. They will be sharing the food staffs with the main dwellers and infact is a good cleaner for the left over food.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #9
BettaFillet
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
Plecos also need to eat other food like sinking pellets too, as they are formulated to include other types of vitamins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng wei jian View Post
Actually, in some of those town park ponds, these plecos are employed too, so should be no problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemalu View Post
How about gambusia? I've seen mosquito fish in longkang in the past. My workplace have koi pond with gambusia in it also. But algae still bloom there.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...30&pcatid=1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Don't need to worry too much. If the pleco you adding is those common ones they will be hardy and you need not specially feed them. They will be sharing the food staffs with the main dwellers and infact is a good cleaner for the left over food.
Oh Ok! Thanks everyone for the input! You all have been really helpful
Old 30-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
nutx
Dragon

if it is a display pond without fish or living stuff...use Chlorine.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote