Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 21-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #31
mshak
Dragon

omg most impressive planted tank setup i saw in AF sia!!!
mshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #32
Shad0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Bro Shadow, what's your secret technique?
Nothing special, just focus on growing healthy plant instead of killing algae. In my opinion, what happen you do to kill algae will effect your plants as well

Last edited by Shad0w; 21-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 22-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #33
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
Nothing special, just focus on growing healthy plant instead of killing algae. In my opinion, what happen you do to kill algae will effect your plants as well
I am trying to grow algae on my rocks, yet keep them off my plants. Significantly trickier than just growing plants or killing algae... ... Now my rocks all have a healthy coating of algae, but my staurogyne are suffering... Thinking of pulling up all the staurogyne and switching to dwarf hairgrass or e. tenellus. Any advice on this 2? Are they both prone to algal grow as well?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #34
Shad0w

tricky indeed, something like this normally can only be done with fast growing plants. Forger about fern or nana, the algae will attacked it also. I would thing staurogyne might work but depend on how fast it grow. hairgrass and tenellus is good choice. just becareful during initial stage when they have not adapt to new environtment. Have you try trimming your staurogyne?
Old 22-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
Shad0w

by the way I was assuming the algae you are talking about is green spot.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
Shad0w

some more pics

Old 27-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #37
hiisoka
Dragon

the close up shots are even more awe-inspiring!
hiisoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #38
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
tricky indeed, something like this normally can only be done with fast growing plants. Forger about fern or nana, the algae will attacked it also. I would thing staurogyne might work but depend on how fast it grow. hairgrass and tenellus is good choice. just becareful during initial stage when they have not adapt to new environtment. Have you try trimming your staurogyne?
Quote:
by the way I was assuming the algae you are talking about is green spot.
Yea, that's what I'm referring to. But I don't know if GSA is what I have in my tank at the moment, as the coating of algae has thickened and looks really fuzzy, kind of like velvet. I wanted to trim away the staurogyne, but gave on the idea as I wanted to try something new, so I ended up getting E Tenellus. I'm in the 4th day of planting thus far and I notice some melting, but new shoots appear to be popping up, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And bro Hiisoka is right, your close-up shots are really awesome! No bubbles or particles whatsoever... And your staurogyne and moss growing so well, even in high lighting. Any advice how long it takes moss to grip onto something like say, a rock or substrate?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #39
Shad0w

it depend on what material and species of the moss. Spiky moss for example rarely stick to anything. Chrismas moss on the other hand will stick to anything. Also seiryu or what ever name is, the one that I use on this tank, have powdery feeling, and moss wont be able to stick on it.
Old 29-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
BBP604
Dragon

Very nice art.
Wonder what are the juding criteria? #14
BBP604 is offline   Reply With Quote