Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
kelvtam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
Tank has 850 litres. Flow rate (total) is 9,000 litres per hour?

Turnover = 10.6 times

The disadvantage of having too high a flow rate is that the contact time with the media is lowered, secondly, poo gets dissolved into the tank water faster (I think that was Atom's argument). Nevertheless, the gains outweigh the negative aspects because you get faster return of the tank water into the sump. This kind of flow rate would be good for super high bioload and high feeding schedules as ammonia spikes peak at feeding. But you do need to ensure that the sump has good filter media that allows a lot more nitrifying bacteria to build up.
If you keep few fishes and feed them sparingly, 10 time TO is way too high! It's just a matter of electricity cost, is it necessary to spend with no additional benefit. If you are okay with the cost, then it's not really an issue!
If the height of the setup is 5-6' , the head loss could be as much as 50%, meaning that the actual flow rate could be only 4-5000 litres per hour only instead of the projected 9000 litres per hour.

In that case, single pump users all have to upgrade bo??

Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #72
Spakase

"If the height of the setup is 5-6' , the head loss could be as much as 50%, meaning that the actual flow rate could be only 4-5000 litres per hour only instead of the projected 9000 litres per hour.

In that case, single pump users all have to upgrade bo?? "

No need, just change to a better pump, there are many around a lot better than Eheim 1264.

I forgot the headloss, my mistake, yes you need to factor that in.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #73
kelvtam

Bro Spakase, I am eager to learn what other powerful pump are out there. Any local recommendations?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #74
Spakase

Refer to the new thread started on flow rate as more on this topic is discussed.

I think Rio hf 26 is mentioned, I've not really compared specs but first look is very promising. There should be a lot others mainly used by marine hobbyiss.

Last edited by Spakase; 28-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Closed Thread