Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 21-05-2004, 06:52 PM   #41
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue
Having a sump means increasing your total volume. One of the factor that you determine how many fish you can keep in one tank is its water volume. The more water you have the more room you have for waste dilution and also the more the volume the more is the dissolved oxygen.
not necessary true 4 all fishes, esp 4 those which r more territorial.
Old 21-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #42
devilfire

Quote:
Yes I adjusted the water level to be just below the cup, perhaps it is too high. But to get this water level I probably only open 5% of the outlet valve. When I open fully the water level is just at the level of the outlet. Which means it is going to take a lot more flow for it to be get overflow when the valve is fully opened.

For a venturi skimmer, there is no pump that is too strong as long as the skimmer don't overflow. The higher the flow, the more air that you are going to draw from the venturi, the more bubbles is produced, the more foam is produced.
i believe it's too high..

i agree tat 4 a venturi skimmer, no pump is too strong as long as the skimmer dun overflow...
but let me tell u... it will never overflow..regardless wat type of p/p u use. i can tell u if u use a 100000000l/h p/p, it will oso not overflow. of cos when i say 100000000, i'm exaggerating. if u use such a p/p, i believe many parts of ur skimmer will give way 1st.
do u know how a venturi works??
do u understand the principle behind its operation??
let's discuss n share..
Old 21-05-2004, 10:49 PM   #43
Jeffrey74

hehe... very interesting topic. can i know more? all i know is that the more bubble the merrier.
Old 21-05-2004, 11:00 PM   #44
devilfire

Quote:
The higher the flow, the more air that you are going to draw from the venturi, the more bubbles is produced, the more foam is produced.
fren, i think u got the concept all wrong. eductor(venturi) doesnt work tis way. doesnt mean u use a higher flowrate p/p it gonna draw more air. it's not 100% true.
Old 21-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #45
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey74
hehe... very interesting topic. can i know more? all i know is that the more bubble the merrier.
it is true tat more bubble the merrier.. but the explanation is gonna b long. i'm engineering trained, having deal with mechanical parts 4 more than 8 yrs. i know the theory of a venturi well. i would not dare 2 say 100% but at least 90%.
Old 21-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #46
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
it is true tat more bubble the merrier.. but the explanation is gonna b long. i'm engineering trained, having deal with mechanical parts 4 more than 8 yrs. i know the theory of a venturi well. i would not dare 2 say 100% but at least 90%.
aiyo devilfire, you tell us the theory of the venturi in singapore style la. i think it'll be much shorter 90% very good already. me? -10% i think. just buy when recommended
Old 22-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #47
devilfire

ok i'll explain in simplicity then..
fr any weipro skimmer, the black connector which link the p/p outlet 2 the skimmer inlet wif a T-off(air tube) is called an eductor.
in tis eductor, u will c a restriction(smaller diameter, nozzle). at tis nozzle, u will c a T-off, connected 2 a air hose/tube in tis case.
wat happens is water fr the p/p will pass thru the eductor. when the water is at the nozzle(juz b 4 passing thru), it will experience high pressure but low velocity. when the water passes thru(juz after the nozzle), it will experience high velocity but low pressure. it is tis change of state will cause a vacuum at the T-off. tis vacuum will "suck" air thru the hose/tube, n will travel together wif the water.
the whole process is called the VENTURI effect.
now, at a certain nozzle diameter, there will b a max flowrate 2 it. 4 e.g., a 10mm nozzle will allow a max flowrate of 2000l/h. manufacturers will give their recommendations accordingly. so if u gonna use a 4000l/h p/p 4 the above eg, it will still draw the same amt of air. UNLESS, u change the size of the nozzle n tubing.
understand???
Old 22-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #48
Jeffrey74

Quote:
ok i'll explain in simplicity then..
fr any weipro skimmer, the black connector which link the p/p outlet 2 the skimmer inlet wif a T-off(air tube) is called an eductor.
in tis eductor, u will c a restriction(smaller diameter, nozzle). at tis nozzle, u will c a T-off, connected 2 a air hose/tube in tis case.
wat happens is water fr the p/p will pass thru the eductor. when the water is at the nozzle(juz b 4 passing thru), it will experience high pressure but low velocity. when the water passes thru(juz after the nozzle), it will experience high velocity but low pressure. it is tis change of state will cause a vacuum at the T-off. tis vacuum will "suck" air thru the hose/tube, n will travel together wif the water.
the whole process is called the VENTURI effect.
now, at a certain nozzle diameter, there will b a max flowrate 2 it. 4 e.g., a 10mm nozzle will allow a max flowrate of 2000l/h. manufacturers will give their recommendations accordingly. so if u gonna use a 4000l/h p/p 4 the above eg, it will still draw the same amt of air. UNLESS, u change the size of the nozzle n tubing.
understand???
i still an idiot for this but i think it means you will not get more bubbles with higher flowrate with the equiment which its capacity of releasing bubbles is fixed unless you change or modify the equiment?
Old 22-05-2004, 12:22 AM   #49
devilfire

u r almost there
if say, 4 safety factor, manufacturers recommend 2000l/h p/p n the max flowrate 4 tat eductor is 2500l/h, then using the latter will give u more bubbles.
Old 22-05-2004, 01:49 PM   #50
Navyblue

Quote:
not necessary true 4 all fishes, esp 4 those which r more territorial.
Yes having a sump does not solve teritory issue I agree, howeven I am addressing to the biological need of the fishes rather than their behavioral need. More water means more stable water condition.