Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
aroyo
Dragon

Thnx bros for all the comment..

Will monitor the situation.

Last edited by aroyo; 04-10-2007 at 09:17 PM.
aroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #12
aroyo
Dragon

To add...

The funny thing is that out of the 5(2already dead). Another 2 is developing nicely, finnage & appetite is v. good...

In such scenario, is the problem lies with the water?
aroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
FND

Probably your Altum stressed out because you spend too much time in front of your fish tank...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #14
wllm33
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroyo View Post
To add...

The funny thing is that out of the 5(2already dead). Another 2 is developing nicely, finnage & appetite is v. good...

In such scenario, is the problem lies with the water?
sometimes the weak ones are being bullied by the stronger ones to death.
this is a survival instinct in the wilds.
this is also one reason why the other altums are looking good whereas some died without much reason.
my 2cts worth.
good luck.
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #15
Leopard88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroyo View Post
Hi Bro/sis;

What is the reason, PH is ard 6, water cond is ok with low load(3 ft tank with the altum only on OHF)

Notice that the tail clamp together and some fungus on 1 of them..

What is the likely cause ? What medication can i apply for the fungus?

Thnx
Melafix is for parasite infection such as fin rot, ulcer, etc.

For fungus-related diease (symtoms such as cotton-like stuff on body) which is due mainly to water condition, use Primafix. Both from same company.

Altums very sensitive to chemicals. Read the dosage recommendation carefully. Suggest use slightly lower dosage.

All the best.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #16
wieaufimmer
Arofanatic

imho, you should 1st change 20% H2O then lower the ph to 5 with peat, add aqurium salt, bring the temp up to 32 deg C ,leave the aquarium lights off for a couple of days, minimal feeding and monitor.
If possible, try not to medicate.
All the best bro.
wieaufimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
joseph
Arofanatic

In a batch of fishes, the weakened ones will succumb to invading hostile pathogens. In this case, manifested by fungus. As it is common, by the time you can actually see the physical symtoms, the fishes have weakened considerably. SOmetimes, even medication cannot help by then, luckily fungus easy to cure.

Wild caught altums most arrived in pretty bad shape. Recently against my better judgement, i bought some altums which I thought was too skinny, i wanted to reject but shopowner said reserved for you, so i just taopan.

In spite of my best efforts, heater plus antibiotics, 3 died. They were already off the curve for any chance of recovery even before I bought.

So, I learnt my lesson, never reserve, got buy no got then don't buy. The stress of trying to save some of these no-hope case not worth the risks.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #18
Leopard88

Quite a lot, if not most, of wild-caught angels carries parasites. You can see it when the body has a small lump, then burst and disappear after about 1 week. I had been seeing this in my altums for the past 2 years. They are 3 years now and did not see such happenings anymore. Guess the incubation period of the parasites can be as long as 2 years. This observations were also reported in foreign Altum websites too.

No need to do any medication. If your angels are healthy and strong, it will heal normally.

Generally, angels (altums included) are hardy and can withstand not-so serious, or if treated early, disease/sickness. My 3-year-olds have encountered live-or-death situations few times already, either individually or as entire tank. Luckily all survive (touch wood). Yesterday managed to pull 1 back from death again . Now in hospital under close observation.

Fungus are due mainly to bad water condition. Many types of fungus medication can help if detected early and fish still eating.

New angels around 1 inch and below can be stunted/distorted and die and there is nothing we can do about it. Or die suddenly without external signs. Likely due to internal parasites or stress. Hence guarantine period is very important for new angels.

Above just my personal observations and experiences. Maybe just lucky .