Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 17-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Yusrin
Arofanatic

Default Lake Malawi Cichlids (Beginner)

Hi all.. im here to share the cichlids Ive got.. im still new on Cichlids. Bought quite a number from different LFS.. Their sizes are still small around 3cm-5cm. Hope any beginner, intermediate or expert out there can share or give tips on this new hobby of mine. Below are some photos of what Im having:-

Yusrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Yusrin
Arofanatic

This is what Ive got
Red Zebra - 2
Cobalt Blue Zebra - 5
Electric Blue - 2
Electric Yellow - 2
Albino Peacock - 2
Giraffe - 3
Bumblebee - 1
Golden Mbuna - 1
Albino Pleco - 1
Old 17-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Brichardi
Dragon

Nice 'artificial' looking display tank! IMHO, many people may start off fishkeeping hobby with many artificial, colourful decorations and eventually replaced them with more 'natural' looking rocks etc. To each his own...as long as the fishes are healthy is most important. Thanks for sharing.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #4
CCT
Dragon

Brichardi, i am one of them, haha. most are misled by lfs, some is on budget but eventually we will go back to the rock way, so its fine. Yusrin, can start to remove fake plants and put in more rocks already.
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 03:39 AM   #5
Gowling
Dragon

Your colorful tank deco seems to camouflage your fishes. Think it should be better to use dull color background like sand and rocks.
Gowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
zerofighter

You are mixing mbunas with peacocks. It's better to keep a single species in the tank and suggest you mimic your tank scape against the natural environment of lake malawi. Anyway, it's been a long time since I saw a malawi tank. Thanks for sharing.
zerofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofighter View Post
You are mixing mbunas with peacocks. It's better to keep a single species in the tank and suggest you mimic your tank scape against the natural environment of lake malawi. Anyway, it's been a long time since I saw a malawi tank. Thanks for sharing.

Haha actually I also keep Mbuna with peacock. Most people don't run Malawi tank?

CCT
Old 19-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
freddie
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowling View Post
Your colorful tank deco seems to camouflage your fishes. Think it should be better to use dull color background like sand and rocks.
I would tend to agree with this. That's what I've done with my Malawi tank. Black background, some rocks, and crushed coral for the substrate. The fish will give you all the colour you need in the tank.

But at the end of the day so long as you are happy with the look that's all that counts.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 01:16 AM   #9
CCT
Dragon

Use coral sands c0 or c1 is good as well. Coral chop may attract a lot residue in the bottom, anyway change slowly also can, but remember you keep fish and let the fish happy then you will be as well.

CCT
Old 20-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Yusrin
Arofanatic

Hi All thanks for sharing ya feedbacks.. yeah.. i wanted to change to sand.. but then for now no time to really change the whole scape.. need to take few days off from work.. thanks..

Anw if i can hv a 4ft tank i would hv start fresh.. easier.. for now gotta remain.. perhaps when they grow bigger.. now wifey pregnant. Cant ask so much.. hahaha