Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 08-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
whitedash
Arofanatic

Some pics to share. Been a real busy month setting this tank up
whitedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
aquafanatic
Arofanatic

Nice setup!
aquafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafanatic View Post
Nice setup!
Thanks! Unfortunately one of my sardines with sunken belly died today.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
zerofighter

Guys, thinking of setting up a shellies tank. My current tank is a 2ft with canister filter. Understand that high pH & GH water is required. I just been to Seaview to have a look, there are 3 tanks full of multi-colours cichlids of max 3 inches and with good prices too.

Are they also considered as shellies?

Which other LFS also sell shellies where I can go have a look at.

Thanks!
zerofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
whitedash
Arofanatic

Hey Bro, Seaview is not carrying any Shellies as of now. Those you saw are the assorted cichlids from Malawi I presume. QH carries quite a few ranges and NKS is carrying lamprologus ocellatus gold and blue variant.

2ft is good for keeping shellies, They are actually quite hardy. Some can be quite aggressive like the ocellatus and some lives in colony like the multies and smilis
Old 11-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
whitedash
Arofanatic

2ft shellies tank
Old 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
zerofighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedash View Post
Hey Bro, Seaview is not carrying any Shellies as of now. Those you saw are the assorted cichlids from Malawi I presume. QH carries quite a few ranges and NKS is carrying lamprologus ocellatus gold and blue variant.

2ft is good for keeping shellies, They are actually quite hardy. Some can be quite aggressive like the ocellatus and some lives in colony like the multies and smilis
oic so seaview ones are not shellies. They looked beautiful with assorted colours.. Went to QH today, they also carry similar cichlids as seaview ones but with more species. Btw how do I know which cichlid are shellies type?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofighter View Post
oic so seaview ones are not shellies. They looked beautiful with assorted colours.. Went to QH today, they also carry similar cichlids as seaview ones but with more species. Btw how do I know which cichlid are shellies type?
Try looking at the photos in this forum. Then match it with the fishes there. I believe QH are carrying brevis and a few other shellies. NKS have occellatus - very aggressive best kept in 2ft tank with shells and rocks to prevent them from fighting. Tried their bites, they pack a punch
http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php/board,3.0.html
Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
zerofighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedash View Post
Try looking at the photos in this forum. Then match it with the fishes there. I believe QH are carrying brevis and a few other shellies. NKS have occellatus - very aggressive best kept in 2ft tank with shells and rocks to prevent them from fighting. Tried their bites, they pack a punch
Thanks. Are malawi cichlids are kinda gentle and not as aggressive compared to shellies? I see than those assorted cichlids in QH & Seaview are able to live in community tanks
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofighter View Post
Thanks. Are malawi cichlids are kinda gentle and not as aggressive compared to shellies? I see than those assorted cichlids in QH & Seaview are able to live in community tanks
That one must leave it to the experts to comment already. I had just started and only did research on a few tanga species. I think I read somewhere that malawi or mbuna cichlids tanks tend to be crowded to reduce aggression and they thrive in such condition too. Tanga are the opposite where territory is important and cannot keep as much tanga as compared to the former type.