Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 29-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
nid

Default Help, Nitrate headache

Ever since my medias matured, I have been having very high nitrate readings, as bad <250 and at best 100ppm. I do water changes every 2 days, 10% to 20% each time. Last night I did a 40% water change as a last resort to reduce my nitrate levels to my dismay, still 100ppm. Now I'm thinking what should I do.

Should I,

1)add some plants? And if yes what plants.

2)use medias that reduce nitrate(I dun have any space left in my ios through)

3)use chemical help.

Pls advise, getting very stress as recently my fishes appetite seems to be dropping.

Last edited by nid; 29-04-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 29-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
PNT Guy
Dragon

Nitrate lvls rising is inevitable in all aquarium unless u have specialized filters that can provide anaerobic environment(low O2 lvls) that will convert nitrates to nitrogen. Just do more wc or add some plants to reduce nitrate or even grow algae in your sump if u have 1. Never use chemical method tis never effective in a long run.

Last edited by PNT Guy; 29-04-2011 at 11:31 PM.
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
apisto31
Arofanatic

Plants and WC are the most ideal way to remove Nitrate. In your case, I'd go with large WC (25-50%) at least twice a week to bring it down and put some floating plants like frog bits or you can try Water Sprite. Please rinse your filter media if you haven't done so for a long time.
apisto31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
nid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNT Guy View Post
Nitrate lvls rising is inevitable in all aquarium unless u have specialized filters that can provide anaerobic environment(low O2 lvls) that will convert nitrates to nitrogen. Just do more wc or add some plants to reduce nitrate or even grow algae in your sump if u have 1. Never use chemical method tis never effective in a long run.
Yup nitrate is inevitable. Since chemical is out, how effective are plants? considering I'm already doing wc every 2 days, it means I got to start doing wc everyday, if possible, would like to avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apisto31 View Post
Plants and WC are the most ideal way to remove Nitrate. In your case, I'd go with large WC (25-50%) at least twice a week to bring it down and put some floating plants like frog bits or you can try Water Sprite. Please rinse your filter media if you haven't done so for a long time.
Already doing water change every 2 days, like to avoid doing regular large water changes as I feel its dangerous for my fish. So I feel like I'm already doing close to the maximum of what I feel comfortable with. Which is why I'm looking for another way other then wc alone. Any advise on what plants and how effective they are, if minimal I think I will look to the bio filter route.
Old 30-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid View Post
Yup nitrate is inevitable. Since chemical is out, how effective are plants? considering I'm already doing wc every 2 days, it means I got to start doing wc everyday, if possible, would like to avoid that.

Already doing water change every 2 days, like to avoid doing regular large water changes as I feel its dangerous for my fish. So I feel like I'm already doing close to the maximum of what I feel comfortable with. Which is why I'm looking for another way other then wc alone. Any advise on what plants and how effective they are, if minimal I think I will look to the bio filter route.
WC is a good way to reduce nitrate but.....it takes some time. Maybe in weeks or even months to see the improvement. I used to have this problem (80ppm) previously and it took about a month to see some improvement.

You are doing the right thing by not changing too much water. You will need lots of plants in order to reduce the nitrate, which i think is not very practical for home aquarium. IMO, frequent wc is still the best way to reduce nitrate. Hope that helps.

Last edited by spotted; 30-04-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 30-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
bennyliv
Dragon

Yah I will also recommend water change. You can try to increase the WC by a small amount for the fishes to get use to it. Peronsally believe that changing large amount of water is more efficient than frequent but small amount of water. But at the same time, WC must be do cautionally.

The main reason for high nitrate is high bioload, so passively you make want to reduce your bioload by feeding lesser or cutting down on the population

This extreme way maybe useful to you http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nit...eduction_2.htm

All the best for your WC reigme!

Last edited by bennyliv; 30-04-2011 at 01:46 AM.
bennyliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
swat1991

Bro WC would be the optimal choice for u to use, and plants are helpful to reduce nitrates, if u wan to use chemical, can. Plants would be like Ktp leaves, and for chemical is Nature Earth, it will make ur water cloudy, but after few hours ur water will turn crystal clear.

This is the link for description of Nature Earth, hope it helps!
http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366578
Old 30-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by swat1991 View Post
Bro WC would be the optimal choice for u to use, and plants are helpful to reduce nitrates, if u wan to use chemical, can. Plants would be like Ktp leaves, and for chemical is Nature Earth, it will make ur water cloudy, but after few hours ur water will turn crystal clear.

This is the link for description of Nature Earth, hope it helps!
http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366578
Thats bioearth bro i am using it too i must say its v good search online for calcium montmorillonite clay its a natural way not a chemical way its found in many environment where its usually the monkeys that consume toxic plants eat them to pass out these toxins.

Good stuff does binds with nitrate. Sorry forgot to mention it earlier.
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

maybe TS can share your tanksize, type of filtration and livestock? better picture of ur setup so we can give other constructive solutions (if any)
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
rockystarry

I am using bio earth too but does it reduce nitrate?