Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
DarDar

Default Algae

Got this Algae issue recently and even i turn on the UV light, it just doesn't keep the algae away...is my biomedia not working anymore ?? Any expert??
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
holysinner
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarDar View Post
Got this Algae issue recently and even i turn on the UV light, it just doesn't keep the algae away...is my biomedia not working anymore ?? Any expert??
get feifeng to handle it if its algae sticking at the tank surface..if its green water then UV light and less feeding and too much lights..
holysinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
DarDar

my light had been on for 24/7 a few years le and the feed regime still remain the same or lesser on the uv light still got algae...dunno what happened also leh
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
bio ring

Default Algae

Hello ,

I saw that you mentioned you on the light 24/7. Is there any reasons ?
Plants and fishes need rest too.

Algae is as a result of too much nutrient or nitrate , together with light - they multiply very fast.

Some suggested ideas are :

1. Reduce the light. 8 hours a day probably is good enough

2. Reduce the nutrient or nitrate by not overfeeding

3. More frequent water change is a quick remedy for now until such time you see a reduction of algae

4. Add more fast growing plants to absorb the nitrate

5. Do not add any more fishes.

6. Clear any uneaten food or rotten leaves etc

7. Check to see if your filter is choked up. Clean the wool part only . Do not wash the bio ring !

8. Enjoy !
Old 04-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio ring View Post
Hello ,

Algae is as a result of too much nutrient or nitrate , together with light - they multiply very fast.

3. More frequent water change is a quick remedy for now until such time you see a reduction of algae

7. Check to see if your filter is choked up. Clean the wool part only . Do not wash the bio ring !

8. Enjoy !
Second that. But bio ring can still rinse with tank's water or dechlorinated water la... If nt the bio ring choke with dirt also not effective.

Btw how old is your UV light? As it needs to be regularly replaced as the effectiveness decrease with time. Usually if on 24/7 replace every 6mths.

Last edited by PNT Guy; 04-04-2011 at 07:54 PM.
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
DarDar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio ring View Post
Hello ,

8. Enjoy !
PS. Mine is a black tanks therefore when i switch off the light, my red will tend stick to the surface of the glass which deemed will cause de beri easily, afterall all it's life it in 24/7 lightning therefore i might be a little scared of darkness ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNT Guy View Post
Second that. But bio ring can still rinse with tank's water or dechlorinated water la... If nt the bio ring choke with dirt also not effective.

Btw how old is your UV light? As it needs to be regularly replaced as the effectiveness decrease with time. Usually if on 24/7 replace every 6mths.
Bro, any other ways to determine the lifespan of the bulb as mine is a second hand one
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
some_1s
Arofanatic

Red face

Quote:
PS. Mine is a black tanks therefore when i switch off the light, my red will tend stick to the surface of the glass which deemed will cause de beri easily, afterall all it's life it in 24/7 lightning therefore i might be a little scared of darkness ...

Bro, any other ways to determine the lifespan of the bulb as mine is a second hand one
nvm just let the aro use to it .i got 5 aro comm when off or on the light they just run like map
some_1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:

no effective way to tell. the best i can think off if its no longer clearing algae its also time to replace the uv bulb.
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
ESP
Dragon

Lightbulb

Check NO3 & PO4 reading.

http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshw...e-test-set-no3
http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshw...l-po4-sensitiv

Quote:

Last edited by ESP; 05-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
spotted

Quote:
Care to share how is biomedia got to do with algae?