Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 19-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
spotted

Default K1 experiment

This experiment is to test out the effectiveness of K1 media without other bio medias in the tank.

This is how the setup will be:
Fish tank with ohf, water flow up to rainbar filtered by wool den flow out to a container with some holes containing K1. For this experiment, I will use mature K1 instead of new ones to shorten the process. Again, no other media in the tank except for K1.

Details and water parameter of the setup:
Date of experiment: 19/3/2011 (Sat)
Tank: 2 x 1 x 1.5ft (80% full)
Livestocks: 3 black skirt tetra and 1 Gourami (Not those giant type)
Diet: Pellets
K1 media: Approx 700ml
Nitrite (NO2): 0
Nitrate (NO3): 20
PH: 6.6

Pls comment.

Last edited by spotted; 28-06-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 19-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
unitedgyc
Arofanatic

Default hi bro..

like that means effect gd???? noob abt k1 media.. i heard very gd n cheap media... but i dun know how gd??
unitedgyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitedgyc View Post
like that means effect gd???? noob abt k1 media.. i heard very gd n cheap media... but i dun know how gd??
I dun know how gd is K1 either. That is why I am conducting this experiment.
Old 19-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
koiluver
Arofanatic

K1 media is used in industry waste water treatment and in Koi pond filter. Let's see how it works in small aquarium filter system.

Keep a record of feeding amount. How many gm of pellets the 0.7L K1 media can handle based on published specification?

Would you consider adding aeration to the container?

Last edited by koiluver; 19-03-2011 at 05:37 PM.
koiluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
^GeNoME^
Dragon

bro.. u should have a negative control ( without any media) and common media to compare. You should increase your bioload as well bcos if ur bioload is low.. any media would be sufficient.

Last edited by ^GeNoME^; 19-03-2011 at 05:35 PM.
^GeNoME^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
koiluver
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
bro.. u should have a negative control ( without any media) and common media to compare. You should increase your bioload as well bcos if ur bioload is low.. any media would be sufficient.
Good point. Increase the bioload and see how much it can handle.
koiluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by koiluver View Post
K1 media is used in industry waste water treatment and in Koi pond filter. Let's see how it works in small aquarium filter system.

Keep a record of feeding amount. How many gm of pellets the 0.7L K1 media can handle based on published specification?

Would you consider adding aeration to the container?
I do not have such a small weighing scale to weigh the amount of feeding and I think the aeration is enough becoz the output of ohf does produce lots of air bubbles as well. Currently, the K1 are spinning like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
I am not comparing K1 with other medias or no medias. What I need to find out is whether K1 eliminate ammonia and nitrite.

As for increasing the bioload, I will add 2 more silver sharks maybe next week. Or anyone is willing to sponser some small size fishes for the experiment are also welcome.
Old 19-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Spakase

I think oscars would be good, they eat and poo a lot, sure will increase bioload.

Just to clarify, is the water driving your K1? No airstones?

This is a very good experiment, thanks for sharing with us all.

You should check ammonia too.

If you can come to Serangoon, I could give you a few midas cichlids, they are also very greedy fishes, wallop pellets and MP. I bred these fishes myself.
Old 19-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
I think oscars would be good, they eat and poo a lot, sure will increase bioload.

Just to clarify, is the water driving your K1? No airstones?

This is a very good experiment, thanks for sharing with us all.

You should check ammonia too.

If you can come to Serangoon, I could give you a few midas cichlids, they are also very greedy fishes, wallop pellets and MP. I bred these fishes myself.
No airstone coz the outlet of ohf provides lots of air bubbles. The strong water flow from the outlet pushes the K1 down and causes K1 to spin. The actual container is not vertical, its slanted around 30 degrees. Reason is becoz it spin smoother in that angle.

Thanks for your compliment.

I do not have ammonia test kit. If there is ammonia presence, the fishes shld be dead by now or few days later? Correct me if i am wrong.

I dun mind collecting the fishes from you but is it ok to mix with the black skirt tetra (2 inches) and gourami (4 inches)?
Old 19-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
ranmaru1987
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted View Post
No airstone coz the outlet of ohf provides lots of air bubbles. The strong water flow from the outlet pushes the K1 down and causes K1 to spin. The actual container is not vertical, its slanted around 30 degrees. Reason is becoz it spin smoother in that angle.

Thanks for your compliment.

I do not have ammonia test kit. If there is ammonia presence, the fishes shld be dead by now or few days later? Correct me if i am wrong.

I dun mind collecting the fishes from you but is it ok to mix with the black skirt tetra (2 inches) and gourami (4 inches)?
If pH is low, fishes won't die due to the low toxicity of ammonia at low pH.. Parrot fishes would be good too as the eat and poo alot.. You should whack as much bioload as possible to push the limit of the K1?
ranmaru1987 is offline   Reply With Quote