Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
QAE8687

Default Quantity of fish food to be fed

As the above title, hope all bros can help me on this newbie question. I'm having 22 Kois in my blue tub. There are big and small ones, the question is how much food should I feed them per meal and how many times per day? Thanks a lot too all bros for helping me this newbie in Koi world.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
goldfish&koi
Dragon

too me how much and how many time per day i think you know the best for your koi. for me as long as they can take give them but everytime in small Qty that they can finish in time and let them swim around and feed them every 2~3hrs. i like that your koi will not grow too fat but will grow stronger and balance. this is just my point of view any other bro can assist?

Last edited by goldfish&koi; 04-01-2010 at 10:27 PM.
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAE8687 View Post
As the above title, hope all bros can help me on this newbie question. I'm having 22 Kois in my blue tub. There are big and small ones, the question is how much food should I feed them per meal and how many times per day? Thanks a lot too all bros for helping me this newbie in Koi world.
Bro...

My suggestion is not scientific calculation. Just observation.
I'll continue to feed till they stop eating. But at the same time, you have to ensure your water change and filter can take it.

I usually go on "heavy" feeding for 3-5 days during the month, till my water is at edge of "breakdown"...then I will stop feeding for 1 day, wash the filter and continue to stop feeding for another 1-2 days, before starting the normal cycle of "normal" feeding.

"normal" feeding is 2-3 times of feeding a day.
"heavy" feeding is as many times as possible!

Few things to take note :

Observe any change in fish behaviour after heavy feeding:
- parking (usually for bigger fish or 50cm and about)
- flashing
- bloated stomach (could be bloodline issue also)

Stop the heavy feeding if you observe any of these.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
QAE8687

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish&koi View Post
too me how much and how many time per day i think you know the best for your koi. for me as long as they can take give them but everytime in small Qty that they can finish in time and let them swim around and feed them every 2~3hrs. i like that your koi will not grow too fat but will grow stronger and balance. this is just my point of view any other bro can assist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro...

My suggestion is not scientific calculation. Just observation.
I'll continue to feed till they stop eating. But at the same time, you have to ensure your water change and filter can take it.

I usually go on "heavy" feeding for 3-5 days during the month, till my water is at edge of "breakdown"...then I will stop feeding for 1 day, wash the filter and continue to stop feeding for another 1-2 days, before starting the normal cycle of "normal" feeding.

"normal" feeding is 2-3 times of feeding a day.
"heavy" feeding is as many times as possible!

Few things to take note :

Observe any change in fish behaviour after heavy feeding:
- parking (usually for bigger fish or 50cm and about)
- flashing
- bloated stomach (could be bloodline issue also)

Stop the heavy feeding if you observe any of these.
Thanks bros. So I think I am doing the right way now. Thanks again bros. I thought that I am feeding them too much now. Seems like I'm doing it the normal way.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Rock

One of the famous koi sayings: "Feed as much as your filter can handle" :P