Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 25-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
hellokitty

Arofanatic

Default Computer Games & Goldfishes

Yo Bros,

Visited some LFS today and shop owners complained that this generation of youngsters spent too much time on computer games, and neglected healthy hobby like tropical fish/goldfish keeping. Indirectly affecting aquarium biz in Singapore. Do you agree with this comment?

Indirectly, I know a friend who gave up computer games and went back to keeping ranchus.
hellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
badpapa

agree bro, computer games has replace almost all traditional hobbies and games for kids nowadays. they find it hassle free and instant fun
Old 29-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Rock

Maybe the industry players should look at themselves to find out why there is a decline in the hobby. One of the biggest part of a business is marketing. Why are all the famous companies out there doing so well? Names like Nike, Sony, Coca-cola are burned into our brains. Do they have the best products? No, but they definitely have fantastic marketing.

I'm not a goldfish keeper so pls dun shoot me if I'm wrong. But there isn't even a proper hobby club to try to advance the cause of the hobby.

Look at the koi scene. Because of certain hobbyists out there and industry players, it looks like there is a mini-revival of sorts.

Yes it's hard to compete with TV and computer games. But if the industry only sits on its backside and whine about it, it will just keep going downhill. IMHO, there's a lot of potential for goldfish in Sg that's untapped. It doesn't require very large spaces or a very expensive setup. Studies have shown humans have a natural tendency to want to keep a part of nature with them, and thats why pets are popular. Of all the pets out there, aqautic pets like goldfish are probably the most feasible in space-constrained sg.

Btw, I'm a very avid computer gamer. At the same time, I love my koi even if they aren't the top-classed ones. So I don't see why the 2 sides cannot co-exist.

Cheers friends! Have a happy and prosperous new year!
Old 30-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Yo Bros,

Visited some LFS today and shop owners complained that this generation of youngsters spent too much time on computer games, and neglected healthy hobby like tropical fish/goldfish keeping. Indirectly affecting aquarium biz in Singapore. Do you agree with this comment?

Indirectly, I know a friend who gave up computer games and went back to keeping ranchus.

Are you also nkgoldfishes ?
FD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
hellokitty

Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Are you also nkgoldfishes ?
nkgoldfishes is a group commercial entity. I am a hobbyist who also fancy other aquatic fishes like pleco, aro and altums. Perhaps many hobbyists and commercials know who I am in person.

In fact, I grew up in the age of computers from the old Apple to XT to Pentium. And also have been in touch with computer games all my life. But I guess a hobby needs to be influenced by the environment, culture and people at large. So Rock is right to say that marketing is important to promote any hobby, especially traditional ones.
Old 31-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
FD3S
Dragon

And the purpose of this thread is?
FD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
hellokitty

Arofanatic

I guess this is a general discussion on youngsters today picking up goldfish/Koi hobby and other traditional hobbies, and how older hobbyists can share their experiences with them.

We are having a discussion here over the internet is because technology has changed the way hobbyists communicate and share information, which we do not have such a tool 20 years ago. And indirectly, online forums has rejuvanated traditional hobbies to the next level of information sharing.

And since computer games have overtaken majority of youngster's time, we are not seeing many young hobbyists taking up this tradition of fish keeping. perhaps the "excitment" factor is lacking in fish keeping as compared to computer games?

If this topic is deemed not relevant to goldfish & koi, apologise for it. Perhaps Mod can move this thread over to other sections.
Old 31-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Rock

Default How to promote the hobby

I read this from a US forum and thought it was very interesting.

It goes something like: Maybe the decline in the hobby is because all the hobbyists have been stuck behind their computer screens looking at internet forums instead of going out there and socializing. Which indirectly contributes to the growth of the hobby.

Also, because of the constant 'connectivity' and speed at which personal growth is experienced, hobbyists experience 'burnout' faster than they used to.

Internet Killed the Aquarium Star?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
goldfish&koi
Dragon

i think to bring hobby up is to have more comp/show so that more ppl can get to see and get interested in it. as you can see in thailand and japan they can have so many comp to keep the hobby going and also bring in more ppl into the hobby. i think if we can have more comp on both koi and goldfish i am sure that will bring in more ppl into this hobby. if not the younger generation will not be keen in taking up all this cos no ppl in their generation keeping/same hobby. nothing to share about when they with their friends am i right?

Last edited by goldfish&koi; 01-01-2010 at 12:32 AM.
goldfish&koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
hellokitty

Arofanatic

Oh man.. 30 mins to 2010, people are busy counting down and we are here discussing about the hobby. This is how fish forums have influenced our daily lives. Btw, credits should also be given to all the moderators and founders of this forum to keep all hobbyists connected.

Happy New Year to All!