Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
D!Concept
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Parasite Treatment and Medication used recently by me

After some read up on the internet and studying the active ingredients of varies product for treating parasite in LFS for my goldfish parasite problem, I end up with this product which prove worthly a mention. Jungle Gold Care - Parasite Care. Around $8.50 per bottle in solid form.

CAUTION: DO NOT USE THIS ON SHRIMPS AND SNAILS !

Active ingredients : Sodium Chloride (Salt?), Trichlorfon, Diflubenzuron (Gimilin)

More findings in varies website and write ups are as follows:

The fish louse is a very dangerous parasite. Its hooks can go into the fishes skin and gills and causes extreme irritation. Due to the open wound the fish is suspectible to secondary infections like bacterial gill disease and ulcers. Besides the physical injuries to the fish, the constant irritation causes stress, which might lead to secondary parasite attacks like Ich and Costia.

Best treated with medication containing Diflubenzuron or Dimillin (3 times with 6 days apart). The visible fish lice should be taken off of the fishes body with tweezers, the red spot that the hooks leave behind, needs to be treated with neosporin or Panalog.

Diflubenzuron(Dimilin) (1-(4-chlorophenyl)-3-(2,6-difluorobenzoyl)urea), also known as dimilin, is a potent broad-spectrum insect growth regulator that interferes with chitin synthesis at time of molting and is effective in controlling immature stages of insects. Diflubenzuron was approved for domestic use in 1976 to control gypsy moth (Lyrnantria dispar), and in 1979 against the cotton boll weevil (Anthonamus grandis). By 1989 this compound was also registered for domestic use against mosquitos, forest Lepidoptera, mushroom flies, and leaf-eating insect pests of citrus, woody ornamentals, vegetables, and fruit. Diflubenzuron seldom persists for more than a few days in soil and water. When used properly in forest management, it is unlikely to be leached into ground water from the application site.

Diflubenzuron(Dimilin) is used mainly to control insects on crops and is not licensed for fish use. The concern is it's indiscriminant action against aquatic insect life. Such concerns are justified when used in natural environments such as lakes and rivers - but clearly less of a concern in garden ponds.

This is an effective treatment against copepod crustacean parasites such as Lernaea (Anchor Worm), Ergasilus (gill maggots), and is less toxic towards fish than organophosphates.

Insects have an exoskeleton - which basically means they have their skeleton on the outside, rather than the inside as we do. Diflubenzuron(Dimilin) works by interfering with the development of the new chitin exoskeleton, so the insect larvae continues to feed and develop normally until they shed their old exoskeleton. They die because the new exoskeleton is not properly formed.

Exposure of the general population to diflubenzuron via water or food, as a result of its use in agriculture, against forest insects, or in mosquito control, is negligible.

Trichlorfon is useful for the control of multicellular invertebrate parasites attached to or embedded in marine and freshwater fishes (including pond fishes such as goldfish and koi). Trichlorfon contains an inert carrier chemical for safer and easier dispensing. Trichlorfon will treat diseases caused by multicellular parasites, such as Gyrodactylus , Dactylogyrus , Neobenedenia (flukes), Argulus (fish lice), Lernaea (anchorworm) and leeches. Secondary invading bacterial and fungal infections in the wounds caused by these parasites are common in the host.

Trichlorfon is more stable and effective in acidic water (pH below 7.0). As the pH rises above 7.0, the instability increases. Trichlorfon is unstable in alkaline conditions, and destabilizes quickly in marine environments. Trichlorfon is toxic to invertebrates, especially crustaceans (shrimp, crabs, lobsters) and mollusks (snails and nudibranchs). Remove all invertebrates from the aquarium or pond prior to treatment. Trichlorfon should be used with caution when treating freshwater angelfish and discus, which tend to be sensitive to treatment when the temperatures are high and the water is acidic.

Trichlorfon can be added directly to aquariums or ponds utilizing biological filtration, and it will not interfere in the nitrification process. Treat fish once per week.

Trichlorfon organophosphates work by interfering with the nervous system of the parasite and thus affect vital physiological processes. OPs are potentially dangerous to both fish and humans and, for a variety of reasons, their use in fish disease control has been banned in many countries.

Sodium chloride(Salt) when properly administered, is safe for use in freshwater fish. It can be used to treat many external parasites including Costia, Epistylis, Trichodina, Chilodonella and flukes Dactilogyrus and Gyrodactylus. Salt may be used in the treatment of sliminess of the skin in the early stages of Pillularis and velvet diseases and against ectoparasites such as skin flukes (Gyrodactylus), anchor worms, and fish lice. It can also provide additional treatment in several cases of bacterial diseases.

Anyway, I believe you guys should by now know how useful salt is in our golfish keeping and I will not go on any further.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Funny_Bunny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II View Post
Thanks. How much?
$8.50 per bottle solid form..

Polyart at Clementi carries Jungle
  Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
ah_ray
Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Ranchu View Post
$8.50 per bottle solid form..

Polyart at Clementi carries Jungle
thanks...can it be used for other fish..
ah_ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Funny_Bunny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_ray View Post
thanks...can it be used for other fish..
Hmm i use for my bichirs b4.. It a miracle.. Tried a lot other brands. but no effect.. So i tried jungle. very effective and efficient as well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
flashgordan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default help urgent!!!

Dear Bro how much salt is needed for the treatment and if do a salt dip how much salt is need ... my arrow for months not eating and starting to have open gills and ulcer symtom on the cheeks.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
SonicBoon
Senior Dragon
 
SonicBoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,770
Default

TS, can i deduce that it will help on fish that flickers or rub against surface...and it does not affect bio filtration and can be used on water with PH7.5 ?? Pls adv...thinking of getting one...thks.
SonicBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)