Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 27-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Oddballz
Arofanatic

Default Horrifying Datnoid Disease

Finally got some time to write this post after battling this horrible disease that took down 1 of my ST and infecting another 2 STs in my tank. I think it might be good to share with all Tiger Lovers in this forum when facing such situation and trying to combat it. I cannot guarantee that my method may work but that's the best experience I've been through during this 1.5 months or 2. During this 1.5 month, I had been reading up and doing lots of trial with a few treatment but not much of luck. Pardon if it's lengthy or improper sentence. I try to type what I recall and did.

My STs were with me around 10 months, before keeping them, I had BD rays, and way before BD rays, I had also 3 STs but sold off after a year.
Once a week I would do a WC of 50-60% of my tank water and replacing all my OHF filter sponge. Feeding are purely on MP and pellets. PH average 7-7.5

It all started out with a small red dot 1.5 months back ago. I couldn't be bothered much with it since I encountered once previously but after WC, it just goes away but this time it got worst. Anyway, I just WC 50-60% 2 days before my overseas trip, next day fed with MP and the infected ST took 1 piece of MP. I felt relieve and left for my trip. 5 days later I came back but it got so bad.

Image took just after I came back from overseas in the night.

Immediately I knew things are not looking good, I went to buy new media and wash all my 20 OHF trays. 20% of media, I threw away and replaced with Marine Pure Spheres. WC 70%, dose salt and WaterLife Protozin. Over the next 3 days, could not get any better.

Image took during the 3 days treatment.

By 4th day, I did WC again, added salt and this time WaterLife Myxazin. Over the next 3 days, I still could not reduce the pus/cotton things got worst. ST darken, hiding at the dark corner and refusing food. Its been 1.5 weeks since I'm battling this disease but still failed to improve the condition. Went to LFS and was recommended Sera Baktopur.

Image just when I added Sera Baktopur and tons of salt until I lost count. I still can remember the water droplets on the glass cover can dry up with salt crystal. I remember dumping 5KG of salt

By next day, the cotton/pus had dropped off. Seems better and was relieved, went to work and by evening got home, it lose it balance and was floating side way at a corner. For the next 2 weeks, the ST just remained in that position at a corner which has lesser current, how I tried to assist, it's bone seems stiff, the infected wound has no more cotton/pus except exposed flesh/bones with blood clot. the other side of expose body of the ST above water got infected and flies were hovering on the exposed side body of the ST while it was still breathing and gradually it die off shortly.

I removed the corpse, WC 80% but this time I noticed my bigger ST and smallest ST got infected. Bigger ST has a small red dot, small ST has 3 lumps on head and gill plate. Forehead as a reddish/white worm looking pimple protruding out. I tried massive salt and Sera Baktopur but it's to be hopeless. The bacteria infection seems immune to the medication. I wanted to try using PP but have no guts and not familiar with dosage. All i wanted to do is to save the remaining.

Just last week the 1 small red dot has exploded to 3 infected area around the belly with pus and worm thingy or cotton. I decided to catch it out and squeeze it. Massive pus, or creamy things were coming out, at times when squeezed, massive white head erects out of the wound. I cleaned with tissues. Scales around the area just dropped easily. After squeezing, it looks good when you placed back into the water but in 2 days time, it starts to return and protrude out 3mm from the scale. I repeated for 1.5 weeks or 2, I lost count and even to the extend of squeezing out and rubbing salt on the wound it just won't go away after 2 days. I can't squeeze my smaller ST as the lump has no exposed wound except lumps and lumps or bumps. Both were just not eating or each 1 MP which is not their usual eating habit.

Very sadden to watch them suffer, I knew I will lose them soon. I went to LFS and slowly look around for medicine. Came across Aqumedi Befuran. Read the instruction and seems strong. Decided to give a try.
I WC 50%, took some tank water placed in a basin and dose 2 x 2Gram. Instruction mentioned if severe cases, 2Gram in 8 Litres water and soak bath it 15-30mins. I do not know the actual Litres in the basin and overdose 2 x 2Grams. I dropped 3 portable air pumps to have more air circulation. 30 mins later, I gently placed them back to main tank (Do not pour back the water from basin) I pump in the remaining water into the main tank, dose in Bio Earth (Managed to get hold since past 4 months I stopped using as I could not find.), dose salt. Next morning when the water is clear, I tried using Waterlife Vitazin which I also just bought. It states for freshwater, pour it over food to soak and feed but I heck it, I poured as per instruction (Meant for Saltwater usage). Things miraculously improved next 3 days with no feeding.

The wound did not expand, the smaller ST forehead ''worm wriggling'' from forehead lump is gone. I tried to soak the MP with Vitamin. I fed and both ST were feeding. Not a lot but at least they do eats and is way much active. As of today, I did WC again(Think every 3-4 days WC and sponge replacement), the bigger ST wound is recovering and all the pus/cotton or white wormy thingy has dropped out and stuck in my internal filter.(Just removed during WC) Appetite is back and I'm so much relieve now.

In Tiger keeping, years back I came across such post elsewhere and never thought it will happen to me. Information on net are also limited. Mostly claiming to be no way out except death, recommend to put salt and increase Temp. Some cases API Melafix or Pimafix but with no improvement.
Hope that my documentation could be shared with all tiger lovers and should you see any red dots, lumps/bumps of head of gills, do not take it lightly. Start treatment early to prevent any death.

Good Luck Tiger Keeps.....
Oddballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Thank you very much for sharing
and sorry for your lost
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Thanks for sharing. Hope your tigers recover soon.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
shin chan
Dragon

My condolances.
I lost my 17" IT some time back. Probaby due to the same disease.
It as started like a normal injury near my IT eye. I presume it knock against something and cut itself.
But as time goes by, the "wound" got worse. But the fish was still eating normally.
Until one day, I noticed the fish appetite was not normal and blood was oozing out from the "wound".
I tried alot of medication. Salt, purple medicine, etc. But useless. And finally, it developed pop eye...probably due to infection and was not eating at all.
Until one day, I woke up and saw it dead..
Maybe mine is a different case....but to me...seem the same.
U can see the sore near the eye....i did not take a close up on the sore as I was too sad.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
shin chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
shin chan
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin chan View Post
My condolances.
I lost my 17" IT some time back. Maybe less then 2 months ago. Probaby due to the same disease.
It as started like a normal injury near my IT eye. I presume it knock against something and cut itself.
But as time goes by, the "wound" got worse. But the fish was still eating normally.
Until one day, I noticed the fish appetite was not normal and blood was oozing out from the "wound".
I tried alot of medication. Salt, purple medicine, etc. But useless. And finally, it developed pop eye...probably due to infection and was not eating at all.
Until one day, I woke up and saw it dead..
Maybe mine is a different case....but to me...seem the same.
U can see the sore near the eye....i did not take a close up on the sore as I was too sad.

shin chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Flowerhorns respond very well to oral or injected Zithromax.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

Do you think if applying med like jap yellow powder or potasium permanganante at the wound directly will help?

a friend of mine had some problems with stubborn case of cotton wool fungus. what he did was he scraped out the fungus using some "cloth" and then apply med directly to the impacted area before moving the fish abck into the tank. and the fungus problem never did return
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
matthew
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwin81 View Post
Do you think if applying med like jap yellow powder or potasium permanganante at the wound directly will help?

a friend of mine had some problems with stubborn case of cotton wool fungus. what he did was he scraped out the fungus using some "cloth" and then apply med directly to the impacted area before moving the fish abck into the tank. and the fungus problem never did return
wat fish was that???
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
marshy

Senior Moderator

My personal experience with this is that the problem may come and go and at times it seem the Datnoid got healed by itself or by very simple means like salt and melafix. But in reality Is that the issue is merely dormant and it occurs again within the following months..

My observation is that it occurs in Tigers that is of larger size like 10" and above... ST and IT are more prone to this. AT, NTT and NGT not at all. I may be wrong in this.

As far as I know... There isn't really any cute. Just prolonging the inevitable death.. Sorry that this may sound so morbid but this is of my experience and also after talking to other Dat keepers..
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
conchabullosa
Arofanatic

I had a 16 inch ST that had the same problem. There was a fungating ulcer with white edges, size of a twenty cent coin. It was located on the body near the tail and anal fin.
I net it out , wrapped a damp clean towel around it. Then I used a scalpel to scrape off the ulcer till it was red and raw. Then rubbed in a mixture of salt and yellow powder. The wound healed in about a month's time with no scar . The stripe there also came back.

I think you can only do this when the tiger is still relatively well and feeding. Cos my ST stopped eating after the operation for about 2 weeks!
conchabullosa is offline   Reply With Quote