Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 29-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #71
happybuddha

Default Fish cruelty

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawai
To all bystanders, I know this is off-topic, but if I am to stand up for my values, I must stand up to my values, not trying to pick a fight here; it's a matter of principle-
I agree… although I once removed a deformed anal fin from my little thumb-size ranchu. Shame on me. It was a totally pointless act as it grew back (rather quickly) to the same old deformed shaped. Well, I learnt my lesson. But I heard the Japanese Tosakin breeders regularly operate on Tosakin’s tails, strictly for vanity purpose.

However, there’s something I don’t understand about cruelty to fishes. If you think subjecting fishes to pain is cruel, some hobbyists shred in horror to find I over-stock my tanks, or placing my PL lamp mere centimeters above the water – like “interrogating criminal suspect” was how one kind soul described my tub’s setup.

Yet, the same hobbyists would cull their fries without even blinking their eyes one bit.

What’s your view on culling and cruelty?

I hope I’m not side-tracking to something way too cheem or sensitive for anyone.
Old 29-09-2003, 06:16 PM   #72
dannyWong

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My lousy fries

Quote:
Your worry is of no basis; but I am definitely concerned with ....
................for my values, I must stand up to my values, not trying to pick a fight here; it's a matter of principle-

Actually I don't really want to reply this post.

I agree LH that case is bad because there is nothing wrong with it. And they go and do those unnecessary operation. Causes beauty to ugly. Unlike this case is ugly to beauty.

Those fin on top of GH may cause swimming problem when they grow-up. That is why I think a small operation is necessary.

I think is the same issue like the twin from Iran and korea.
If Die - they say shouldn't cut.
If not die - they say should cut earlier.

I got nothing to say already. bye
Old 29-09-2003, 06:28 PM   #73
Kawai

Default Re: Fish cruelty

The thought of culling (killing) did come across my mind as it was quoted by some famous breeders as a necessity for the survival of better quality fries. But that was purely for economic purpose, ie. given limited resources, we would only keep the good ones, but it was still in essense, for vanity... As a matter of principle, and may be stubborness, I have kept all the deformed ones; if they are not giving up, why should I?

For cruelty, I have only one simple measure: If I subject an animal to unnecessary pain, it is cruelty.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha

What’s your view on culling and cruelty?

I hope I’m not side-tracking to something way too cheem or sensitive for anyone.
Old 29-09-2003, 07:13 PM   #74
happybuddha

Default Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
The thought of culling (killing) did come across my mind as it was quoted by some famous breeders as a necessity for the survival of better quality fries. But that was purely for economic purpose, ie. given limited resources, we would only keep the good ones, but it was still in essense, for vanity... As a matter of principle, and may be stubborness, I have kept all the deformed ones; if they are not giving up, why should I?

For cruelty, I have only one simple measure: If I subject an animal to unnecessary pain, it is cruelty.

Thanks for sharing.
I guess I have to scrape my idea of culling some of my tosai ranchus even though they're not ideal (just look at that Spermwhale ranchu of mine), despite the fact my tank is really over-crowded.

Don't you have several hundred fries at the moment?
Old 29-09-2003, 10:41 PM   #75
Fire87
Dragon

Default Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
I guess I have to scrape my idea of culling some of my tosai ranchus even though they're not ideal (just look at that Spermwhale ranchu of mine), despite the fact my tank is really over-crowded.

Don't you have several hundred fries at the moment?
Hmmm this is my view.

It all depends on whether you have the resources to keep it, and the circumstances you are in. It may seem cruel to cull 80% of the fries, but this culling means that the other 20% will have enough space, food and other neccessary stuff to grow well, not just for our aesthetic purposes but for their good health.

If keeping the 80% is going to make even the 20% (80%+20%= All the fries!) become unhealthy suffering fries from they day they hatch till the day they die, then I would suggest not breeding at all.

If we go by bro Kawai's definition of subjecting the animal to unneccesary pain as cruelty, then I wouldn't be keeping fish at all. Afterall, aren't all the fish we buy and attempt to keep subjected to some form of suffering at a point of time under our charge?
Fire87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2003, 11:50 PM   #76
happybuddha

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
Originally posted by Fire87
Hmmm this is my view.

It all depends on whether you have the resources to keep it, and the circumstances you are in. It may seem cruel to cull 80% of the fries, but this culling means that the other 20% will have enough space, food and other neccessary stuff to grow well, not just for our aesthetic purposes but for their good health.

If keeping the 80% is going to make even the 20% (80%+20%= All the fries!) become unhealthy suffering fries from they day they hatch till the day they die, then I would suggest not breeding at all.

If we go by bro Kawai's definition of subjecting the animal to unneccesary pain as cruelty, then I wouldn't be keeping fish at all. Afterall, aren't all the fish we buy and attempt to keep subjected to some form of suffering at a point of time under our charge?
This is by far the best opinion I have come across on culling and cruelty to fishes.

If only we could selectively pick eggs to hatch then we won't have problems later on in term of lack of space to raise the babies.
Old 30-09-2003, 12:06 AM   #77
Ranchuseed

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
This is by far the best opinion I have come across on culling and cruelty to fishes.

If only we could selectively pick eggs to hatch then we won't have problems later on in term of lack of space to raise the babies.

Wah that means you also keep your waste after visiting the toilet is it. Because it is wasted after so many hours with you.

Is this what you are trying to say
Old 30-09-2003, 01:04 AM   #78
happybuddha

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranchuseed
Wah that means you also keep your waste after visiting the toilet is it. Because it is wasted after so many hours with you.

Is this what you are trying to say
Please elaborate as I can't make out your comment at all.
Old 30-09-2003, 01:13 AM   #79
kbwong_mail

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Just now I put a double 2ft light on top of the container to have a good look at the fries. I did not turn it off for more than 1hours. A few minutes ago I go back there and found that one of the big fry submerge in the water, look like resting. A moment later I did not see any movement. So I try to push it a bit and to my surprise it die.
Those I am surprise to see the sudden death of the fry but the answer come to me almost immediately, When I ask myself what have I done wrong.
Yes! the double 2ft light is place so close to the water, cause the water temperature to rise high and fast suddenly. That fries must
be cannot take it and die. I off the light immediately and fish the rest of the fries to the other container that I have prepared next to it. 54 fries leave now.
Old 30-09-2003, 01:22 AM   #80
CyberET

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fish cruelty

Quote:
Originally posted by kbwong_mail
Just now I put a double 2ft light on top of the container to have a good look at the fries. I did not turn it off for more than 1hours. A few minutes ago I go back there and found that one of the big fry submerge in the water, look like resting. A moment later I did not see any movement. So I try to push it a bit and to my surprise it die.
Those I am surprise to see the sudden death of the fry but the answer come to me almost immediately, When I ask myself what have I done wrong.
Yes! the double 2ft light is place so close to the water, cause the water temperature to rise high and fast suddenly. That fries must
be cannot take it and die. I off the light immediately and fish the rest of the fries to the other container that I have prepared next to it. 54 fries leave now.
har?? hmm... mine are in the hot sun everyday le.. maybe with the sudden brightness, it thought it was in heaven.. and gave up breathing