Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 21-05-2003, 12:57 AM   #51
Demekin

*choke* ahhh *choke* khhhaaaa ..... gimme oxygen ...
Old 21-05-2003, 08:51 AM   #52
happybuddha

Crazy man! Goldfish got like that one meh??

Are goldlfish very easy to modify?

Arowana still.... basically arowana. No have bubble-eye aro, or aro with butterfly tails. Boring! Slight difference in shade of colour and they gaga give it a different trade name. Sigh.

Many goldfish are not gold in colour. Maybe we take out the letter L, and call them God Fish!
Old 21-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #53
secrets

from experts......

Plain, fancy, eye-types, tail-types, American, Japanese, Chinese, British and more. There are fish that have had almost all of their scales plucked, there are those that look like swimming baseballs, and some who are described as "wiggle butts" because of the way they move through the water. Being "different' depends on how you look at it. The question is how do you look at it?

Goldfish shows are where startling differences appear in they way fish are viewed. In an American show there are rows of glass fish tanks to view all the fish from the side, some high on shelves. In Japanese goldfish shows for Ranchu and Tosakin there are rows of white porcelain bowls, down low. The qualities, including pattern, of the fish are judged from the top on these breeds. My conversations with a top Japanese judge led to disbelief when I told him that in America, the ranchu were judged in glass tanks from the side. To him it would be like judging koi in an aquarium. I must say though, I have seen a respected American judge on his tip-toes trying to view fish from above prior to making his final selections.

Shopping for goldfish can also be an enlightening experience. Here in the northwest you can shop on line, go to your local dealers, or maybe catch a fish for sale from a traveling salesman who makes the show circuit, but the fish are in glass tanks or pictured from the side. In Japan, you can go to a dealer, but you will see rows of bowls low to the ground to view the tosakin and ranchu. I did, however, see ryukin and other breeds in glass tanks at Japanese dealers. At least we have some things in common.

When you get involved in fish you can also get involved in the cultures of where your fish come from. Getting involved in the cultural side of fish keeping can add another fun dimension to the hobby. Another way of seeing your fish.

Did I mention some people think I'm "different", because I'm "into" koi and goldfish? Depends on how you look at it - from the top, of course
Old 21-05-2003, 11:35 PM   #54
AeroKing

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
*choke* ahhh *choke* khhhaaaa ..... gimme oxygen ...
Aiyah all you need is go to your ATM, draw a lot of money...lah!!
Old 21-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #55
AeroKing

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by secrets
from experts......

Plain, fancy, eye-types, tail-types, American, Japanese, Chinese, British and more. There are fish that have had almost all of their scales plucked, there are those that look like swimming baseballs, and some who are described as "wiggle butts" because of the way they move through the water. Being "different' depends on how you look at it. The question is how do you look at it?

Goldfish shows are where startling differences appear in they way fish are viewed. In an American show there are rows of glass fish tanks to view all the fish from the side, some high on shelves. In Japanese goldfish shows for Ranchu and Tosakin there are rows of white porcelain bowls, down low. The qualities, including pattern, of the fish are judged from the top on these breeds. My conversations with a top Japanese judge led to disbelief when I told him that in America, the ranchu were judged in glass tanks from the side. To him it would be like judging koi in an aquarium. I must say though, I have seen a respected American judge on his tip-toes trying to view fish from above prior to making his final selections.

Shopping for goldfish can also be an enlightening experience. Here in the northwest you can shop on line, go to your local dealers, or maybe catch a fish for sale from a traveling salesman who makes the show circuit, but the fish are in glass tanks or pictured from the side. In Japan, you can go to a dealer, but you will see rows of bowls low to the ground to view the tosakin and ranchu. I did, however, see ryukin and other breeds in glass tanks at Japanese dealers. At least we have some things in common.

When you get involved in fish you can also get involved in the cultures of where your fish come from. Getting involved in the cultural side of fish keeping can add another fun dimension to the hobby. Another way of seeing your fish.

Did I mention some people think I'm "different", because I'm "into" koi and goldfish? Depends on how you look at it - from the top, of course
Yo...if you marry a malay girl, most likely you will be a muslim... right...then how to enjoy...right!! I like your wisdom.
Old 22-05-2003, 08:13 AM   #56
goldies

Quote:
Like what u mentioned, different culture has different way of appreciation.

Jap ranchus are viewed from top, thus the rows of bowl, down low. Why white porcelain bowls? Bec they are judged by their swimming dynamics rather than the colouration etc.

Most goldfish in America are not from Japan, hence mainly are side view fish. So for the respected American judge to try to view fish from above prior to make his final selections seems to expose his lack of knowledge in goldfish.

Quote:
In Japan, you can go to a dealer, but you will see rows of bowls low to the ground to view the tosakin and ranchu. I did, however, see ryukin and other breeds in glass tanks at Japanese dealers. At least we have some things in common.
Ryukin are side view fish, so it shdnt be a surprise that they are placed in glass tanks. Wat is surprising is many times, from japanese magazines, u can see that Japanese take top view photo of Ryukin instead of side view. Wonder how they appreciate the beauty of ryukin from that view.
Old 22-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #57
goldies

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
Crazy man! Goldfish got like that one meh??

Are goldlfish very easy to modify?

Arowana still.... basically arowana. No have bubble-eye aro, or aro with butterfly tails. Boring! Slight difference in shade of colour and they gaga give it a different trade name. Sigh.

Many goldfish are not gold in colour. Maybe we take out the letter L, and call them God Fish!
That's the difference bet Japanese and Chinese goldfish. Japanese wins in quality, Chinese wins in varieties
Old 22-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #58
qikimhee

Last edited by qikimhee; 14-10-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Old 22-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #59
shintze

roughly pricing wise of ranchu ?

n where can i find small n nice n worth gf from?

Old 22-05-2003, 11:47 AM   #60
qikimhee

Last edited by qikimhee; 14-10-2003 at 09:42 AM.