Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 08-06-2003, 01:51 AM   #261
CyberET

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah Thiam
You can't keep Jap ranchus in 2 ft Ht water unless you want them to swim spinning upwards.

Recommended ht is 10 - 12".
sighz.. back to measuring tape.. no wonder those concrete pools so shallow..
Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM   #262
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
sighz.. back to measuring tape.. no wonder those concrete pools so shallow..
I heard deep ponds makes a fish long long; good for kois but bad for goldfishies.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:00 AM   #263
AeroKing

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah Thiam
You can't keep Jap ranchus in 2 ft Ht water unless you want them to swim spinning upwards.

Recommended ht is 10 - 12".
You're right!~
Old 13-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #264
goldies

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
I know the difference between the two and those people were talking about green water, not green algae.

[/B]
No offence, i didnt mean u cannot differentiate bet the two. maybe those pple cannot?
for the ponds in my CC and many other public ponds, i noticed that they only have green algae, not green water.
anyway, most pple who keep fish wants to see the fish, so they dont want green water not bec it is not beneficial, but bec they cannot see their fish.

Quote:

We can breed. Maybe we can breed better than ang mo breeder but in this context, we will lose in the competition becoz some rich folks imported his competition fish while you bred and raised yours. And that's my point; local ranchu competition is silly and unfair becoz the rich one will win even though a true hobbyist have sweat it out the hard way.[/B]
Well, if the competition is for u to show case your fish, to learn and to share among like minded hobbyist, then winning/not is no longer important.

Quote:

If being passionate about a hobby is to take part in competition to see if you're wealthy, I'll have to give up on this hobby and leave it to the rich folks. [/B]
U may be surprised that many hobbyists fishes are rear from the same batch of fish that u had bought from the LFS and doesnt mean that they cannot win in competition!

but i really wonder why those pple bother to buy expensive fish just to compete? maybe for koi and aro but for goldfish?? cannot understand??
Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #265
goldies

Quote:
I know it's tough and which is why I say local ranchu competition is silly.

You see, you have to sweat it out to raise a ranchu from fry. Do everything right, right from the begining for 2-3 years, non-stop.

Then along comes someone who imported a competition grade ranchu from Japan, a mere 3 weeks from competition date to take part.

He wins.

Doh!
aeroking was right, think there is only ozeki ranhcu competition in singapore. since it is a club competition, only club members can participate. but good thing is they held an open field competition whereby outsider could also view. in this way, it is educational too. if u keep thinking of only winning, then competition may be meaningless, but if u take it as a participate and learnign experience, i'm sure everyone can learn something from it!
Old 13-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #266
goldies

Quote:
Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm glad to learn someone has plugged the loophole in our godlfish competition circle. You mentioned buring a big hole in the pocket of those fish shops owners; I suspect then perhaps their fish were actually better than the hobbyists' fishes but ... they should be taught a lesson! Ha ha.
maybe not, if the hobbyist fish can still win the competition, that means expensive fishes may not be good.

look at TRP fishes, they are expensive, but they may not be good quality, origin besides the point. the fish there are not only not from japan, they are also low quality thai fish. so money is not the correct way to judge a fish
Old 13-06-2003, 02:37 PM   #267
goldies

Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
Wait wait wait ... what you meant to keep it alive if bring in 3 weeks before. You mean the jap fish can't survive 3 wks here ? Big fish leh, i tot very hardy one.

Then how to buy babies like that ? 1 day die liao heart pain siah.
i think is bec those pple who imported fish just for competition most likely dont know how to keep fish, esp if they are those LFS, so imagine 3 weeks put in their super crowded and high ammonia tank?? definitely die one lah
Old 13-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #268
newie

Just saw this thread on grading..

maybe a bit to late to post but here is it if anyone is interested..
(grading by a jap) ... if you can understand )

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...threadid=71275