Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Product Reviews

Old 23-08-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Ekia

Default Review of Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium

For those who are following my threads.. you should know that my calcium level has been low for a long time.. bought the Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium and it has shown favourable results... for those who are having low calcium or having trouble bringing up your calcium.. can try this product...

3 days before I added the Bio-Calcium:

Calcium: 300ppm
dKh : 9
ph:8.1

The dosage suggested 1 measuring spoon per 5 gallons will raise calcium by 28ppm for my 4x2x2.. simple calculations shows that i needed 24 spoons. To be on the safe side... I added 20 spoons instead. There is no requirement to drip or mix with water.. just scatter the addictives into high flow area in my sump...

1 day after addition of Bio-Calcium:

Calcium: 345ppm
dKh: 9
ph: 8.1

From the tests... the dosage doesnt seem very accurate... i added only 20 spoon and my calcium is brought up by 45ppm... However, there are no effect on dKh and ph

Added another round of Bio-Calcium just now.. will measure the calcium level tonight...

Before addition of Bio-Calcium:

dkh: 9
ph: 8.3

Anyway... for those interested on the price.. its not cheap.. retail price $28 for 511g bottle.... This Bio-Calcium contains all 70 trace elements as well.. and will not alter pH...(From the bottle)
Old 23-08-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
wlchew

Comprehensive review...keep up the good work!!

btw, is the spoon provided with the bottle as shown ?
Old 23-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlchew
Comprehensive review...keep up the good work!!

btw, is the spoon provided with the bottle as shown ?
yup forgot to mention.. its given.. like that more accurate ma
Old 23-08-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
ReDDeviLs

not bad.. bulk order!!! hahahahaha!
Old 23-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
cwloo

how it compare to Seachem ?
Old 23-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #6
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
For those who are following my threads.. you should know that my calcium level has been low for a long time.. bought the Tropic Marine Bio-Calcium and it has shown favourable results... for those who are having low calcium or having trouble bringing up your calcium.. can try this product...

The dosage suggested 1 measuring spoon per 5 gallons will raise calcium by 28ppm for my 4x2x2.. simple calculations shows that i needed 24 spoons. To be on the safe side... I added 20 spoons instead. There is no requirement to drip or mix with water.. just scatter the addictives into high flow area in my sump...

From the tests... the dosage doesnt seem very accurate... i added only 20 spoon and my calcium is brought up by 45ppm... However, there are no effect on dKh and ph

Added another round of Bio-Calcium just now.. will measure the calcium level tonight...

Anyway... for those interested on the price.. its not cheap.. retail price $28 for 511g bottle.... This Bio-Calcium contains all 70 trace elements as well.. and will not alter pH...(From the bottle)
y didnt try seachem??

it works, cheaper, lesser amt needed...
Old 23-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
y didnt try seachem??

it works, cheaper, lesser amt needed...
Yi Fen Qian Yi Fen Huo.... seachem calcium u have to dissolve in water first.. and it also doesnt contain as much elements as Tropic Marine. Will also take a longer time to see a rise in calcium unless u add a lot at one go... They didnt recommend any dosage... By following their recommended dosage.. it will take a long time...
Old 23-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia

6 hours after addition of 20 spoonfuls of Bio-Calcium:

Calcium: 372ppm
dKh : 13 (weird... maybe havent stabilize??)
Old 23-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
mansiz

Bro Ekia, will this bio calcium affect PH level? And will it cause shock to fishes, invert or corals?
Old 23-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansiz
Bro Ekia, will this bio calcium affect PH level? And will it cause shock to fishes, invert or corals?
nope... its stated it wont cause any alteration in pH... i have tested... its contents are actually: Calcium ions, hydrogencarbonate and 70 trace elements.. thats why its quite different from the rest like seachem etc. Those are calcium chloride...