Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Resources and Articles

Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
zamo

Default Can i use gex soil for plants?

Hi all

Would like to ask if i can use gex soil for my planted tank?i am currently having some moss,java ferns and riccia.I already brought the green packed gex soil.Can i plant glosso with gex soil?

I am using the hopar lightset consist of 2 tube total 28w on for 9hrs per day.Would that be sufficient?

Where can i get glosso for my carpet?i try several LFS none selling.I went to C328,polyart and that ah pek plant farm cant find any.

Last edited by zamo; 11-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 19-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Newtank

GEX is a common alternative to ADA soil, most people would say it is cheaper, but if you really do your math, its a more expensive alternative. But effectiveness wise, its very comparable to ADA. I have GEX in my 1 ft cube, growing Blyxa and nana,without CO2. the first 2 weeks had a hair algae attack, almost gave up the tank, then I went away for a 2 week trip and come back to a surprisingly clear tank, all algaes are gone and even the glass look sparkling clean.

Compare to ADA, it definitely give a clearer water faster.
Old 20-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Shad0w

If you happen to plant fast growing plants, you will realize that it is not comparable to ADA. My experience in using GEX soil, the nutrient is depleted much faster than ADA soil. It is probably because GEX was mainly from silicate thus low CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity)
Old 25-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
oscar77
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
My experience in using GEX soil, the nutrient is depleted much faster than ADA soil.
This is what i heard many ppl having same experience.
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
Tamama

My experience in using GEX, the soil will be crushed to dust in some time.. and it will get kinda dusty after a year... now trying to use ada soil plus river sand.
Old 26-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
Fishery

My tank are fill with Gex soil...I realise its last about half year only or more
Old 16-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
aquanatix

Actually GEX is pretty good substrate to start with.What type of plants you intend to keep also plays a crucial part in nutrient intake.If you're going for an all moss carpet then it really doesn't matter.Cost wise ADA should be more expensive if you're going for the full setup including the various "powders" penac a etc...

As for your setup,what sized tank are you keeping?Glosso does require heavy lighting and co2 to keep them low and creeping.They are available every now and then,have you tried seaview?They might have it...
Old 04-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #8
peanut8787
Arofanatic

If there's a way, I will always turn to Ada aqua soil. Well normally all known gravel will not "crush" so fast it will always occur when you re-scape, disturb the soil etc. My suggest is if you have the barget go for Ada or maybe borneowild soil.
peanut8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
KarolgaX
User Under Moderation

Default Can i use gex soil for plants

You can try it. Do it immediately before injection. The time length the two will be in the syringe will be minimal and not likely to affect. Keep an eye on it. If it turns cloudy then you cant mix them. if not then you are probably OK.
KarolgaX is offline   Reply With Quote