Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 27-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #71
bobbysayang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Update for Day 36

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The first fry started it's first "flight". What a joyous day. What it means is that internally the frys have started their development of their air bladder chambers. They are learning how to float and sink by adjusting the air pressure inside.

Take yr time to savor the video, you will notice the "alpha" fry testing out different levels of "buoyancy" and is learning how to adjust the air pressure internally. From time to time, "alpha" will rest at the bottom of the tank to rest from his travels around the tank.

An interesting event happened while I was filming the frys today, our beloved F16 from the royal Singapore air force was conducting their "sonic boom" sorties above the farm area. Notice "alpha" darting towards the PVC pipe from time to time to hide. That's due to the booming sound from the jets. One day I should upload the raw footage......it's really very entertaining.

Video for Day 35 will be uploaded at a later date. It was completed yesterday, but due to sensitive issues, the videos cannot be posted for public viewing. Maybe when the project is over then I'll post the vids.

Meanwhile, enjoy today's vidz.
Kudos bro! Very educational indeed!
bobbysayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #72
aromatix
Dragon

Quote:
Yes nice to meet you too. We should have a chat someday. You have the most fabled aros at the farm lolx....would like to do a video on them if possible.
a kopi wud be nice.
but u've mistaken a peasant for the lord. yup, juz a fable indeed
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #73
Seamaster

Update for Day 37

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Today there is "Alpha" and "Bravo".....two happy frys swimming in the tank. Most of the other frys are also trying to "start" swimming.

In the video, you will see these "jumpers" doing the "pop goes the weasel" as baby "bravo" wade through them. So Dangerous!!! Not sure if baby "bravo" will get hurt by the "jumpers."

Baby "bravo" is swimming front heavy as his swim/air bladder is not totally formed at this stage. Hopefully the bladder will be fully developed so that baby "bravo" can lead a normal life. Baby "bravo" has a fairer color tone. Will try to track his development if possible to see how a fairer fry's coloration will turn out.

Cheers.
Old 27-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #74
Seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aromatix View Post
a kopi wud be nice.
but u've mistaken a peasant for the lord. yup, juz a fable indeed
My fav children fable......"Jack (peasant boy) and the Beanstalk...and his golden goose..."
Old 28-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #75
aromatix
Dragon

Quote:
My fav children fable......"Jack (peasant boy) and the Beanstalk...and his golden goose..."
" fe fi fo fum "
aromatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #76
kelvinnwk

thats really great, enjoyed the video, thanks alot for sharing bro !!
Old 28-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #77
Air Tiger
Endangered Dragon

Great to see they progress well.
Mind sharing are they XB or RTG?
Air Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #78
Seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysayang View Post
Kudos bro! Very educational indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinnwk View Post
thats really great, enjoyed the video, thanks alot for sharing bro !!
You are both welcome. I just hope that the information provided will be useful in one way or another.......
Old 28-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #79
Seamaster

Update for Day 38

YouTube Video

Today's vidz can be name the "untouchables".....in a numeric sort of a way. Four free swimming frys can be seen in the tank this morning. Looks like the gang of two has doubled!!!

At this stage, scale development and shine is simply amazing. Look at the plan shot; see the glittering blue shine that flickers on the frys' side profile. I've tried very hard to "white balance" so that the vidz camera can capture the blue shine. Try to watch it in HD format and pause the vidz at the "twin head" blurr zoom out plan shot (Time: 00:54 onwards)

For some strange reason, "Alpha" likes to swim around the area where the pump water discharges the water. I guess he likes the downward pull of the water current. He gets tossed down and up over and over again, but just keeps going back. Interesting behavior!

As for the frys that are still "resting", from time to time, one or two and sometimes a whole gang of them will suddenly do "chiong" (maddening rush) swimming followed by long periods of "resting". Trying to jump start the Swim bladder....lolx.

Good to report that "bravo" is swimming normally, and doing his/her buoyancy test at various water levels. Just like what "Alpha" did.

When I started the vids some 26days ago, I was under the impression that the biggest fry will prob have the fastest development.....that point of view needs to be re-address right now. As I compare the size of frys still "resting" at the bottom of the tank and these four swimming around the tank, I have to say, the bigger frys are still "resting".......erhhh how abt egg sac size? Surely it's abt how much nutrients that the frys have absorbed....hmmm....dun think so too. Just have a look at the plan shot in the vidz and you will see that some of the frys with the smallest egg sac are still "resting".

Then what is it, that causes some frys to develop faster and some to be slower.....maybe it an issue of sexes.....you reckon? I dun know.....but as I ponder abt this issue, I feel tempted to ask for permission from owners to take scale samples for lab testing to verify. I understand from breeders that adult aros, especially the Female aros take a shorter time to come into maturity compared to their Male counterparts. But does it start at such a young age....any thoughts anyone?
Old 30-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #80
Seamaster

Update for Day 39

YouTube Video

What a treat. There were 6 free swimming frys waiting for me when I reached the farm. How exciting!

As each day passes, more frys are learning how to swim. So I took the opportunity to take some really close shots of the FSF (free swimming frys).

I hope to capture their inner scale development, coloration, shine and hopefully gold-head appearance. But what impressed me most were their eyes. So round and so big....even for their size. Makes me think of fish head curry....yum yum...lolx.

And there are still many "resting" frys on the floor. To be objective, most of these "resting" frys seem ok and properly formed on the outside.......and for most part, they have absorbed about 75% of their egg sac. The "hand herder" told me that most of these "resting" frys will be ok......but there are times when they don't rise to the occasion, then the "hand herder" will have to intervene........What does that mean? Do they cull? Or do they have a "trade secret" method of helping "resting" frys swim...hmmm...I'll go find out.....soon I hope. Meanwhile, enjoy the vids for Day 39.

Let me know what you want to see in the vids.

Tags
crossback, days, eggs, fry, harvest