Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 15-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
Gordy
Dragon

Default Washing a tank and cause of death?

hi bros,

i recently bought a used tank. however my fishes (2 arowanas) died 5-10mins into the new tank. i did aclimate the fishes slowly for a period of 40mins-1hour.

my friend and i racked our mind to find the possible causes of death. we concluded the tank might had been washed with detergent or some other chemicals (probably those toilet stain removers) then left to dry without properly being rinsed then chucked away.

when i first bought the tank it was dusty and dirty but i did a good wash, scrubbing the tank and the corners, silicons with a new sponge. however theres still some stubborn brown algae left on some parts of the silicon.

once the fishes are released into the tank... or rather immediately when i topped up the water from the new tank to the plastic bag holding the fish the arowanas begin showing signs, they were "kiaping" their mouth. like tasting the water. after they were in the water... they swam around for a few minutes looking blurred and kept on opening and claming their mouth kiaping like they are tasting something weird. then alittle while later they bellied up and died. one of the older aro had cloudy eye before it died.

please correct me if i'm wrong but i think it couldn't be,

1. chlorine burn (as i dosed anti chlorine and chloramine properly), the water was left running with fliter and airpump full blast for nearly 2 days.
2. ph shock (i aclimated them for around 40mins-1hour)
3. ammonia spike (the water was new and there wasn't any ammonia to build up yet)

what we couldn't understand and came to conclude is that even with the above reasons... the fishes shouldnt have died so fast ...it looks like they were poisoned.

afew days after the death of my fishes i began draining the water from the tank and the water feels in hokkien we say "siap siap" ...biting skin and it smells of those toilet cleaning stuffs.

so my question here is, is there anyway i can clean up the tank or the tank is a goner? ...can i wash it with vinegar or something and make sure its 100% safe for new fishes? still very sad for the loss of my 2 arowanas... sigh...
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
user134679
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
when i first bought the tank it was dusty and dirty but i did a good wash,
How did you carry out this wash?
user134679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Gordy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by user134679 View Post
How did you carry out this wash?
hi bro,

in the toilet with water hose spraying water over and using a new sponge to scrub the whole tank inside and outside. i did not use any soap nor detergent. just tap water
Old 15-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
M&M
Arofanatic

Sorry for your loss. Just my own thinking, it will always be best to throw in some cheap fishes in for a few days before releasing your actual fishes inside. I always do that to check the condition of the water.
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Two days run-in....?
What filtration....?

Any test-kits used to test water....?

Any seeding done to let ammonia cycle take place..?
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
ymmij
Senior Dragon

you mentioned that the aro open and close mouth like tasting water.

near the surface?
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
Gordy
Dragon

hi bros i did test the water, to what i could remember it was around 7.5ph and 0 ammonia.

no bro ymmij it's not near the surface its wherever it's swimming. at mid, below and top.
Old 16-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Gordy
Dragon

do you guys think it's some leftover chemicals that sticked to the tank? is there anyway to rewash the tank or should i just throw it away thanks all
Old 16-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
ymmij
Senior Dragon

if you have slowly done your ph and temp acclamation i dun think your aros died of ph or temp shock.

i agree that with new water ammonia built up would not be that quick to have killed your fishes in 10 mins.

i agree that the most probable cause could be certain chemicals or stains left in the tank.

there is risk in keeping this tank. if can afford, get a new one.

else you need to thoroughly wash through, soak for days etc. and adding test fishes when you think tank is ready, before adding your main habitants.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Gordy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
if you have slowly done your ph and temp acclamation i dun think your aros died of ph or temp shock.

i agree that with new water ammonia built up would not be that quick to have killed your fishes in 10 mins.

i agree that the most probable cause could be certain chemicals or stains left in the tank.

there is risk in keeping this tank. if can afford, get a new one.

else you need to thoroughly wash through, soak for days etc. and adding test fishes when you think tank is ready, before adding your main habitants.
thats what my friend and i thought too after pondering for days. if i did mis-done some parts of the procedures or overlook some ph or chlorine error... it couldn't cause the fish to die in less than 10 mins

i already threw away every thing that touched the water. the air tubes fliter.. etc ...

now just considering if i should rewash the tank with vinegar and salt

thanks bro