Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 17-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
ntkntk
Arofanatic

Default Discus

Saw a beautiful huge (size of a tea plate) discus in LFS. Never had a discus. Thinking of getting one. A few questions for the discus bros:

1) How big can they grow to?
2) How long can they live?
3) Do they eat MP?
4) Can they be comm with Aro (Big Discus. I know for sure small ones are dead meat)

Thanks
ntkntk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
lohwl2000
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntkntk View Post
Saw a beautiful huge (size of a tea plate) discus in LFS. Never had a discus. Thinking of getting one. A few questions for the discus bros:
6-7inch normally if not stunted growth.
3-5 years or even longer if well taken care.
3) Do they eat MP?
Beef heart, tetrabits, bloodworm.
4) Can they be comm with Aro (Big Discus. I know for sure small ones are dead meat)
They are shy fish in nature and swim in group will be good. Dun like strong current in water so it is not recommended even though many bros tried it and survival well.

Hope these can answer your queries.

Thanks
lohwl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
waiinn

Depending on strain, some can go up to 6" to 7"(x-tail) and what u feed them + the amount of w/c effort, based on what u've saw, that is about the normal adult size ...........
Given care discus could live up to 8 to 10 yrs, but will not be as beautiful as it's prime yrs (ie 1 to 4 yrs old)..........
3) Do they eat MP?
Well, Discus will grow best when u feed "discus Food", just like Aro eats Aro food, .... don't think Aro will eat Beef Heart ?
...... Discus do well in group of 5 or more, but they tend to less aggrssive than yur Aro thus will be bully...... don't any bigger Aro does that to any smaller com ?........ gees hope that helps, MY Tot, Cheers
Old 19-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
ntkntk
Arofanatic

Thanks bros. Was thinking of getting just one big one to comm with my aro. I guess I shouldn't after hearing your advice.
Old 19-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
linekertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntkntk View Post
Thanks bros. Was thinking of getting just one big one to comm with my aro. I guess I shouldn't after hearing your advice.
Adult is fine if you want to comm it with aro. Juveniles are not recommended because they need to be fed a lot to maximise it's growth and with that, come with plenty of water change. Hence juvenile discus are not suitable for planted tank or tank mates with other fish, however that is just my opinion.
Old 20-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
ntkntk
Arofanatic

Bro, so you think one adult discus will be ok? My tank has a 20" aro with about 10 4" angels and 10 4" clown loach. don't want to stress the discus to death. Saw one about $80 at LFS. Only got $ for one now.