Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 30-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #41
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
Dunno leh.. the joint my fren went to... Order pizza, comes wif beer.. like set.
Same for aus and some parts of UK and US, it seems

And yes, all come bck KPKB say sg beer and hoonki very ex..
Ok set meal then maybe. Beer is their local produce hence very cheap. Singapore imports everything so nothing is ever cheap
Ariesdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #42
lpkoh5
Endangered Dragon

Yes very cheap for those earning $20k abv
Yes cheap for those earning $10k - $20k
Okay not too expensive for those earning $6k - $10k
Okay not very cheap for those earning $4k - $6k
No expensive for those earning $2k - $4k
No very expensive for those earning $800 - $2k
No almost cannot afford for those earning $400 - $800
Totally cannot afford for those earning below $400
lpkoh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdram View Post
Ok set meal then maybe. Beer is their local produce hence very cheap. Singapore imports everything so nothing is ever cheap
Wait till ppl hear the price of Mac Happy Meal in NZ

Really is Kill Ppl Set Fire..

coz there.. everyone produces their own produce.. seldom will eat fast food... the prices are...
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #44
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
I have relatives living in JB, KL & Ipoh the average admin clerk is earning RM 2k min. not 1.5k. And they dun spend $6~8 per meal is the same as SG but in RM. They earn in city area but eat near "kampong" area.
I didn't want to use RM2k as I wasn't confident of mentioning that amt. Given the same job, the pay diff isn't huge between M'sia/Sing. But the price of a meal is.

We can't compare earning in town/city and spending in kampung area. It's like, it's not practical to say those working in Orchard/Raffles eats housing estates.

I take an example of, JB, coffeeshop behind Taman Sentosa hawker. Everytime I am there for vegg rice, 2 meat 1 veg with rice cost me RM5, kopi ice RM1.70. That's nearly RM7. Same meal at e coffeeshop near me, 2 meat 1 veg rice S$3, ice coffee S$1.20, total $4.20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
go over JB every fried noodle is delicious and Ipoh hor fun tastes really good, for half price.
Are you refering to earning S$ spending RM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariesdram View Post
What kind of coffeeshop? Stall rental in coffeeshop starts from around $2K depending on the size. $6K is definitely very ex and I would assume it to be big enough for a cze char stall which can rake in figure in the thousands per evening. Else if one is selling mee pok at $3 per bowl, you'll need around 100 bowls just to breakeven the rental cost and there is even the labour, material and gas/electric cost.
It is highly possible. 24hrs coffeeshop stall space is very ex. Rental is subjected to property price and traffic flow.

Hawker stall faces cost of rent, cost of goods, cost of labour, etc.... My guess, daily operating cost would be easily $300. So yes, they need to sell 100 bowls at least to cover cost... Gross profit is high, but Nett profit is subjective after taking away cost.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Wait till ppl hear the price of Mac Happy Meal in NZ

Really is Kill Ppl Set Fire..

coz there.. everyone produces their own produce.. seldom will eat fast food... the prices are...
To be fair, one thing here that beats the west, especially winter countries are the quality of seafood we get and the price. Here, we have the weather that is suitable for fishmongers to fish everyday all year round and we are blessed with very fresh seafood that is sold in the market cheaply. Try buying fresh prawns in the west and you can vomit blood. And frozen ones are even expensive.

We are truly blessed with kelongs and many live seafood stalls in this part of the world where we can taste the freshiest seafood!
Old 30-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #46
Ariesdram
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post

It is highly possible. 24hrs coffeeshop stall space is very ex. Rental is subjected to property price and traffic flow.

Hawker stall faces cost of rent, cost of goods, cost of labour, etc.... My guess, daily operating cost would be easily $300. So yes, they need to sell 100 bowls at least to cover cost... Gross profit is high, but Nett profit is subjective after taking away cost.
I have no doubt that it is possible. I have a friend operating a bak chor mee stall and he is renting it for around 1.7K and he operates half a day serving the breakfast and lunch crowd from 6am to 1pm. Him and and another partner share the workload and they both take in around 3k home each. Must add that their bak chor mee is not bad and queues do form.
Old 30-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #47
Lee Chin Hui

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I didn't want to use RM2k as I wasn't confident of mentioning that amt. Given the same job, the pay diff isn't huge between M'sia/Sing. But the price of a meal is.

We can't compare earning in town/city and spending in kampung area. It's like, it's not practical to say those working in Orchard/Raffles eats housing estates.

I take an example of, JB, coffeeshop behind Taman Sentosa hawker. Everytime I am there for vegg rice, 2 meat 1 veg with rice cost me RM5, kopi ice RM1.70. That's nearly RM7. Same meal at e coffeeshop near me, 2 meat 1 veg rice S$3, ice coffee S$1.20, total $4.20.
S$4.20 x2.4=RM10.8, still higher than 30%!

i usually eat fried kuay teow at bukit indah JB cost me RM4.00
I eat at bukit batok at S$2.50(the cheaper can find here)
S$2.50 x 2.4 = RM6 (33% higher).
Old 30-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #48
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Chin Hui View Post
S$4.20 x2.4=RM10.8, still higher than 30%!

i usually eat fried kuay teow at bukit indah JB cost me RM4.00
I eat at bukit batok at S$2.50(the cheaper can find here)
S$2.50 x 2.4 = RM6 (33% higher).
U compare earning local currency to spending local currency

eg. MY Earn RM1,300/mth, spend RM$4 on food Vs SG earn SGD$1,300/mth, spend SGD$3.50 on food...

Your example actually shows MY higher cost of living
Old 30-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #49
Lee Chin Hui

Quote:
U compare earning local currency to spending local currency

eg. MY Earn RM1,300/mth, spend RM$4 on food Vs SG earn SGD$1,300/mth, spend SGD$3.50 on food...

Your example actually shows MY higher cost of living
if compare the same type of job in SIN & MY in own currency, Malaysia is higher.
for example an site engineer:
Malaysia: RM4000-RM5000
Singapore S$3000-S$4000
Old 30-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #50
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Chin Hui View Post
if compare the same type of job in SIN & MY in own currency, Malaysia is higher.
for example an site engineer:
Malaysia: RM4000-RM5000
Singapore S$3000-S$4000
Pwah.. ures is simi Site Engineer?
Starting pay ard $1.6-$2k if i not wrong for most